Tourist Rating

Mr. Natural

I just returned from my first out of town geo-caching. I won't say where I went, but I enjoyed the experience for the most part. While I visited an interesting and important historic part of the city, I also felt that I was walking through some parts of town that were not the safest to be wandering! As an obviously oblivious geek intent on a strange electronic gadget, I might have made a ripe target for mischief.

I was thinking that urban caches might be improved by a tourist value rating. If the cache area is valuable and safe for a tourist, it should receive a high rating. However, if an out of towner is being walked through dicey neighborhoods, that should be noted. Just a thought...

Edited by Mr. Natural

If it's dicey for out of towners it's probably dicey for locals. The only advantage locals have is they know where not to go at night.

But then we all have that 6th sence. It's just a matter of listening to it when it stands the hairs up on your neck.

A tourist rating is only good for a generic tourist. What I like isn't what you might like. You can't allow for all the variations in taste.

It is primarily the finder's responsibility to always be aware of your surroundings. You can't rely on others for your safety. There is absolutely no way for a hider to take into consideration all factors that would make a hunt dangerous to you. He doesn't know your skill level and the environment could change.

All be aware of your surroundings and when things get beyond your comfort zone, leave. You should be doing this in all aspects of your life anyway.

here's the thing about tourist ratings that people often don't consider: i'm a big entropy fan. i'm not alone in this. you only have to go to www.infiltration.org to see this. i LIKE sites that show urban decay. i like pretty views too, but i LIKE seedy neighborhoods and crumbling buildings. i like ruins. i like industrial wastelands. so tourist ratings would be difficult due to teh differing opinions about what makes an interesting site.