Hydration Backpacks At Costco

TrimblesTrek

I was at Costco in Kitchener today where I picked up two hydration backpacks. These are similar to the Camelback (around $100) and Platypus (around $60) packs that you can get from many hiking/cycling stores.

It's a three pouch pack with a separate insulated pocket for the hydration reservoir. It includes a 2 litre reservoir with an insulated tube and bite valve.

Only $25 ! At this price, they won't last long!

Thank you Trimbles Trek for the great lead!

Ail got my one for easter and its fantastic! Used it at the OGA - CITO - Niagara event. Kept nice and hydrated all day.... If I had only remembered to put the rum and coke in it, instead of water I'm sure the day would have gone much quicker [:mad:]

Thanks again

Logger

I broke down and finally got one of these backpacks today. Costco in Lethbridge is getting low on stock for these!! Looks nice cant wait to test it out!!

If I can make a suggestion, wash it out a few times before you use it. It took quite a few washes and rinses for me to get rid of the rubber taste. I filled it up with lukewarm water and soap, then shook it around drained some through the hose then rinsed it out with clear water. I had to do this 4 times to clean it out. I heard rinsing it with vinegar works but I was reluctant to try it.

Oh one moe thing if you throw one or two of the small freezer packs in along side the bladder it seems to keep the water nice and cold for the better part of the day.

Happy Caching!

Logger

Edited by logger&trail

Oh one moe thing if you throw one or two of the small freezer packs in along side the bladder it seems to keep the water nice and cold for the better part of the day.

Try filling the bladder 1/4 of the way and put it in the freezer overnight. Take it out when you're ready to go, fill it up with water and it keeps cold without the freezer packs.

Try filling the bladder 1/4 of the way and put it in the freezer overnight. Take it out when you're ready to go, fill it up with water and it keeps cold without the freezer packs.

I thought of that but two things sort of scared me about doing it, Keith mentioned the first one , damaging the bladder. The second one is the water in the hose would freeze as well and in all likelyhood the hole to the hose would be frozen until the ice melted enough to let the water get through.

I'll give it a try though, worst case scenario I would have to get a new bladder.

Thanks for the tip

Happy Caching!

Logger

I thought of that but two things sort of scared me about doing it, Keith mentioned the first one , damaging the bladder. The second one is the water in the hose would freeze as well and in all likelyhood the hole to the hose would be frozen until the ice melted enough to let the water get through.

I'll give it a try though, worst case scenario I would have to get a new bladder.

Thanks for the tip

Happy Caching!

Logger

You have to think about how you place it in the freezer. Try making it look like a flattened out "U" shape, with the drinking tube empty and pointing up. Same with the hole for filling- you don't want to block it with ice either.

I'd be worried about exactly what material the bladder is made from. I've discovered the hard way that the vinyl used in a lot of water containers gets brittle when cold. I've had a wineskin filled with tapwater crack after being used on a long hike in near freezing temperature.

At the very least, try to keep the amount of flexing of the bladder to a minimum until you've gotten a bit of liquid water in with the ice.