Finding A Dnf

G-Squad

First, this is not a topic that is to discuss whether or not you should log a DNF. That has been done over and over again, and then beaten down.

What I want to know is...how do YOU log a DNF that you found? I have waffled on this in the past. What I am doing for now is leaving the DNF log in place and adding a new FOUND log. I recall reading somewhere else in the forums that some people will delete their DNF and then add a FOUND log. But, I like my current method as it gives me a track of how I have done. How do the rest of you handle it? Why?

I also think that the second log is the best way to go.

In your previous dnf there might be a clue or two that might help others avoid the same problem. And, if it took a second try, you did have at least one dnf. Why remove it unless you are ashamed of a dnf.

Jamey

Ladybuggers!

Oh, definitely keep the DNF log and make a new Found It log!! Some folks won't even make a second DNF log if they search again and don't find it....not me. I'm not afraid of the DNF's. I've got maybe 3 or 4 now, and I've gone back to find at least two of them, and written a new log for the find. I think the DNFs should stay, as they are part of the history. DNF's are not a bad thing....at least you got out of the house and tried! ;)

The whole idea to the logs is to create a record of activities related to the cache. Log each each attempt at finding it with a DNF until you finally find it. DNF's are nothing to be ashamed of and are actually part of the fun. If we could find each one on the first try it would become booooring.

I view the purpose of posting a note as something to allow us to present stuff related to the cache when we haven't visited it, or when it is revistied for some reason after having found it.

Definintely keep the DNF and then log a separate Found It. The fact that you found it on the 2nd try doesn't negate the fact that you didn't find it on the 1st try.

I'm not ashamed on my DNF's. And if I get back out there later and find the darn thing, it shows that I don't give up after one try. It also keeps a more accurate history of the cache.

I have at least two finds that were DNF's on the first try, including my very first attempt at caching. I went back and found those suckers later, though. ;)

GPSKitty

DNF's are not a bad thing....at least you got out of the house and tried! ;)

Wouldn't it be nice if all of life was judged by this standard?

Hey Boss, it's me. I actually got in the car and drove to work today. I made it to the parking lot but just couldn't find the stregnth to walk in there and spend the day dealing with your sorry a**. I am back at home now, and I won't be in today. I might try agian in a few weeks if I feel up to it.

Boss: Hey, no problem. At least you tried.

Seriously. When we first started caching I was terrified of a DNF. Truth is my first 3 hunts where DNF's and I didn't log any of them. Then I started doing them as long as it wasn't a 1/1. I am embarassed to say that I was embarassed.

Owning a cache cured me of all this. I actually send cachers thank you e-mails for loggin DNFs on my caches.

We log them seperately ourselves but I don't think it matters as long as the cache owner is given some indication of potential problems.

I had a DNF rated 1/1 today. I looked everywhere for this thing, used the additional hint, but nothing. Didn't log it. I might though. I am waiting to hear back from the person that found it last. I know who he is, so I want to see if we overlooked the obvious. I mean, we had great reception on the GPSr, used the hint, and nothing. We are going to try it again. I hate 1/1s for the simple fact that we overlook the obvious. I have better luck with harder ones. lol

I had a DNF rated 1/1 today. I looked everywhere for this thing, used the additional hint, but nothing. Didn't log it. I might though. I am waiting to hear back from the person that found it last. I know who he is, so I want to see if we overlooked the obvious. I mean, we had great reception on the GPSr, used the hint, and nothing. We are going to try it again. I hate 1/1s for the simple fact that we overlook the obvious. I have better luck with harder ones. lol

Ummmm.....sounds to me like a DNF....why didn't you log it? You looked, you didn't find.... ;)

I had a DNF rated 1/1 today.  I looked everywhere for this thing, used the additional hint, but nothing.  Didn't log it.  I might though.  I am waiting to hear back from the person that found it last.  I know who he is, so I want to see if we overlooked the obvious.  I mean, we had great reception on the GPSr, used the hint, and nothing.  We are going to try it again.  I hate 1/1s for the simple fact that we overlook the obvious.  I have better luck with harder ones.  lol

I don't understand why you hesitate to log it as a DNF. Sounds like a perfect candidate.

Whether you overlooked the obvious or not, you didn't find it.

Be not ashamed of DNF's.

GPSKitty

I had a DNF rated 1/1 today.  I looked everywhere for this thing, used the additional hint, but nothing.  Didn't log it.  I might though.  I am waiting to hear back from the person that found it last.  I know who he is, so I want to see if we overlooked the obvious.  I mean, we had great reception on the GPSr, used the hint, and nothing.  We are going to try it again.  I hate 1/1s for the simple fact that we overlook the obvious.  I have better luck with harder ones.  lol

Ummmm.....sounds to me like a DNF....why didn't you log it? You looked, you didn't find.... ;)

I did log it. I usually don't log them because I go back and find them, but this one I might not get to go back. Hopefully the rain will hold out and I will get to go get it, then I will erase the DNF. If I have no luck, I look at the date of the last find and sometimes will email the owner to make sure it is there. I don't want it handed to me, just it is a PITA when you search really well and can't find it that annoys me. I don't travel almost 40 miles for nothing. I will find it. The last time it was found was over a month ago. So, I emailed the last person to see how much trouble he had, then go from there. It was a good size container, which gets me.

I did log it. I usually don't log them because I go back and find them, but this one I might not get to go back. Hopefully the rain will hold out and I will get to go get it, then I will erase the DNF. If I have no luck, I look at the date of the last find and sometimes will email the owner to make sure it is there. I don't want it handed to me, just it is a PITA when you search really well and can't find it that annoys me. I don't travel almost 40 miles for nothing. I will find it. The last time it was found was over a month ago. So, I emailed the last person to see how much trouble he had, then go from there. It was a good size container, which gets me.

Oh, I guess this confused me:

I had a DNF rated 1/1 today. I looked everywhere for this thing, used the additional hint, but nothing. Didn't log it.

Why do you erase the DNF if you go back and find it? (That is what this thread is about)

I mean, what is your logic there? Are you ashamed of not finding it? Most owners like to see the occasional DNF log, so that they know they are doing a good job of hiding caches. It just doesn't make sense to me that you would change it....afterall, you do get the smiley face later to make up for the frowny face.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

(Doing my best to make our little pastime sound noble)

It's been said that Thomas Edison had over 1000 failures before he found an incandescent filament that would work. When asked about why he kept trying after so many failures Edison responded by saying (more or less), "What do you mean failures? I know over a thousand ways to NOT make a lightbulb!"

Every DNF is a story in the history of that cache. It tells people what will work and what won't work. I'll never understand those who don't log their dnf's or delete them once they've found the cache. It's akin to re-writing history.

(again, I'm being pretty dang noble here)

More to the point, never forget: Every time you log a DNF an angel gets his wings. And some other cacher learns from your mistakes and knows how NOT to find the cache.

Bret (Nobility off...back to burping and scratching)

I look for caches quite a few times sometimes. That would be a whole lot of DNF's to log. I do not log them until I find them. I agree with what a lot of you are saying, though.

Agreed. Like I said, the only way I log a DNF is if I am in question of if it is still there, such as a 1/1 cache that I searched everywhere for. It also depends when it was visited last, but then again, logging the DNF tells other users also that there might be a problem.

I usually log a DNF if I searched like a madman. There was one instance where I went to be the first to find a new cache and spent literally half an afternoon just trying to get near the dang thing. The first road I took led to private property. So I tried coming in a different route through forest service roads and hit more private property. Eventually it was sundown so I headed home and reported a DNF. Turns out the guy had screwed up the coordinates and he was able to fix them because of the DNF. They can be useful if there's a chance the cache was muggled or needs fixing up.

I won't report one if I was short on time and didn't give a thorough look-see.

John

Personally, I think the history of a search should be captured. Isn't that half of the fun? I think way too much sensitivity exists around entering DNF logs. If you searched for only a short time, you can state that in your DNF log. If ones looks for a cache for only a short period of time and finds it, does that mean those shouldn't be logged either? I see a lot of logs that say, "found it quickly." I doubt many would think that a quick find should be logged as a note or not at all. I guess I don't see why a DNF after a even a short search are viewed as irrelevant. There seems to be a disconnect here.

Finds and DNF's are a part of the history of a cache. There is no shame in a DNF (if there was, I'd have a lot to be ashamed of). The great CCCooper Agency logged a DNF on a 1/1 that I found easily. If she can log DNF's anybody can. There are caches that I have 3, 4 and more DNF's (my record is 6). I leave them all and if I ever eventually find it, I add the Found It log.

I log any DNF and keep this log after I found it in a later attempt.

Mainly, it is for myself, I think it is fun to read logs from the past and remember how hard some of the easier caches have been for myself...

Also, I am logging every single DNF if I happen to have more than one at a single cache). There are several caches I have found on the third try. And there is one cache I haven't found yet (two attempts so far) which I probably will try again the next days...

I can't understand people who do not log their DNFs or delete them afterwards.

This is a very debatable topic. However, I can go both ways with this. If you have a few minutes to go find it and don't with plans on going back if you don't find it, then no dnf is needed. Extensive search, yes. I don't worry about the quick ones, but the long ones yes.

You got it janni93! It is fun to go back and read the stuff and remember what happened. Even when I don't find a cache I've still had a good time at it. There's some that I have posted a string of DNF's on and may never find. Still fun. B)

I have a good time too. I love going out and walking and exploring, regardless of a dnf.