Etrex Legend Won't Work Through Serial Port

Ghostcat78

Hello all, just purchased a garmin etrex, but I can't get it to pick up on my serial port. it says "garmin not connected" when it actually is. I do have a pda and did turn off that software so that it might help, but no such luck. I am just trying to download the software updated on garmins website, need much info and help please. I'm not exactlycomputer literate so i need simple easy to understand instructions please. thanks,

Doug

Do you have any other serial devices you could use to confirm that the port works? My system has two serial ports, they're turned on in the BIOS and Windoze sees them, but when I try using them, they don't work. I ended up buying a USB serial port so I could sync my PDA. It later came in handy after I bought my Legend. I also use it with my 60C when I want to communicate with it with software that doesn't yet support USB.

Anyhow, make sure that the port is working somehow, if you don't positively know already. Also (it has to be said; you'd be surprised), make sure that your GPSr is turned on, and that it's set to the appropriate protocol/baud rate. You could also try EasyGPS to see if it's able to see your GPSr.

my pda actually runs usb, so i know this isn't the problem, but thanks for trying

Doug

Just for the sake of double checking...my PDA ALSO synchs via USB but it STILL ties up comm port 1 if I allow it too. With ActiveSynch I have to choose to disallow the PDA access to the comm port even if it's not using it and synching with USB. - JamesJM

I had that trouble with my new laptop. My GPS did not connect with the serial port in my computer. I call Garmin, they said that maybe it is a mouse port and not an R40 something port and that I needed to get a USB to serial port connecter. I was also told that Keyspan makes the best one. So...........

I got a USB to serial port connecter and plugged it into the USB port. I could not get it to find a COM cannel, because they were all going to Bluetooth (which I did not use). So I freed up COM 6. I have had no problems with it since.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes I have the same thing happen to me even though my GPS uses serial and my PocketPC cable uses USB. What happens is one of the programs (for me that would be EasyGPS, Magellan MapSend, and MS ActiveSync) doesn't release Comm 1 even though I have closed the software. If this happens, I simply reboot my XP machine. Doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes.

I'll bet GeckoGeek is right. The error message isn't that the com port is in use, it's that it can't find a Garmin. This is almost always because the interface protocol is set to something other than Garmin. To exchange waypoints either to or from the GPS, it has to be in Garmin protocol. To work with mapping programs, such as Mapopolis on a PDA, it usually has to be set to NMEA in/out. On the Legend, go to the main menu page, select Setup, then Interface, and make sure it says Garmin.

Edited by NightPilot

I am now running windows XP. Basically i'm trying to flash in the latest software upgrade from garmin. I have uninstalled all my pda software (palm OS). I have set the unit to "Garmin" to recieve, checked my baud rate, it's at 4800. And still nothing works. How do you go in and run a scan on your serial port? Right now all I have running is my scanner and printer, nothing else. Whe the heck doesn't garmin just use USB? that would make my life easier. Thanks for everybodies suggestions so far. Maybe i'll try the com 6 thing, if I can figure that out. Oh and i've tried rebooting numerous times with and without the unit plugged in. nothing works, Says a garmin device isn't connected. thanks,

Doug

Getting a bit more technical (for some people at least), here is a quick test to see if the problem is hardware/cabling or software.

Set the Legend to NMEA in/out.

Open a terminal program such as HyperTerm. It used to be in the Start|Accessories|Communications menu, don't know if it still is on XP.

Create a new connection: give it a name, then when it asks for the phone number select "Direct to Com1" on the "Connect Using" list.

On the next dialog, select 4800 in the "Bits per Second" list, and "None" in the "Flow Control" list.

When you hit OK it will open the port and begin receiving data. If it says "Unable to open COM1", then some other program is using the port.

If everything goes well, you will see a bunch of text scroll on the screen. The exact strings don't really matter for this, but they will start with $GP or $PG.

Oh, and BTW. I would guess that garmin doesn't use USB because the very small, very inexpensive computers that are inside of these units do not have USB support built in to them but they do have RS232 (serial) support. RS232 is pretty much a least common denominator.

So what does it mean if you do all that and nothing happends? Because thats what it did, blank screen on the computer. But you did get me all excited and i learned something new.

Well....If it didnt say "Unable to open COM1" that means that it did open the port (check the left side of the HyperTerm status bar to see if it says Connected with a time), which means that nothing else has the port open. You were pretty sure it wasnt the PDA software, but now you know for certain.

If you dont see the $GP and $PG strings on the screen, it means there is still some kind of problem (but you knew that B). It could be that the Legend isnt sending data, that there is a problem with the cable, or that the computer isnt receiving data.

I would double check that the Legend is configured for NMEA and 4800 baud, and HyperTerm is configured for 4800 baud. This makes sure they are both speaking the same "language", and basically makes sure you arn't trying to track down a problem with this test instead of the original problem.

Then I would check the cables. Are you using the cable that came with the Legend, and is it plugged _directly_ into the computer? Extension cables, A/B switches and "gender changers" are all potential problems. Also, are you sure the cable is connected to the legend correctly? It should only connect one way, but if it was forced a little bit it may go the other. On mine the cable comes off the left side of the connector as the unit is lying on its face.

Since HyperTerm was able to open the port, we should be able to rule these things out, but it doesnt take much to check them:

- make sure the serial port is not disabled in the BIOS.

- make sure the serial port is not disabled in the Windows Hardware Profile.

- make sure Windows Device Manager does not show any conflicts with the port.

Finally, if possible I would repeat the HyperTerm test with the Legend on another computer. And if you have some other serial device, I would try plugging it into this computer.

Making a connection like this should be very straight forward. If all of this fails I would start to suspect a more involved problem. I can think of two other things you could check before getting someone else to look at it:

1) If your computer is a desktop or tower unit, it may have a short cable that runs from the mother board to the external connector. This cable could have come unplugged inside of the computer.

2) If it is a laptop with a port replicator or docking station, make sure to check it while the machine is undocked. When I first got my machine, the serial port on the laptop worked fine, but the one on the docking station didnt. The fix for this is very easy once you know what it is.

I've owned Legends for a few months (we have three now). I've never had a bit of trouble transfering maps or waypoints. Until a couple of days ago, that is.

I'd already tried most of the things mentioned. I just connected with Hyper Terminal (yes, it's still part of Windows XP). No problem: I saw the $gp strings. This works with two of the Legends (the third is out-of-town with my friend).

But neither MapSource nor EasyGPS can see the connection.

What has changed? I just updated my MapSource to Beta 6.0.3. Could that be the culprit? And why would that affect EasyGPS?

Any other suggestions? Or should I just uninstall everything and start over from scratch with MapSource 5.40?

I'd already tried most of the things mentioned.  I just connected with Hyper Terminal (yes, it's still part of Windows XP).  No problem: I saw the $gp strings.  This works with two of the Legends (the third is out-of-town with my friend).

Since you see the $GP strings this rules out most everything except EasyGPS and MapSource. And pretty much rules out MapSource causing a problem for EasyGPS.

The next suggestion would be to:

1) Put the legend back to GARMIN output

2) Make sure the GPS Settings portion of EasyGPS is configured for GARMIN and on the correct serial port (probably COM1). How to do this may depend on the version of EasyGPS you have. Mine is under Preferences on the File menu.

MapSource should have some similar settings that you can check. Since you just installed a new version of MapSource, this is a good place to start looking.

Ok, i've tried everything you mentioned, checked bios and checked windows hardware status, all say serial port is intact. It must have connected with hyper because it didn't say it didn't, but i got no strings. Also I tried plugging my digital camera in to the serial and it didn't work either. So that rules out the cable. I use the cable that came with it. Every thing is plugged in correctly, no extensions, and I have everything speaking the same language. I do have a tower and if one part of it was unplugged would it still say it was intact? I tell you what you have no idea how much i appreciate your help. I've talked to 5 dell technicians today and they don't want to help me at all. Even if they did i can't hardly understand them because they don't speak english very well. I'm going to take the tower lid off and check inside. If all else fails i'll get good with reading paper maps:)

Doug

It must have connected with hyper because it didn't say it didn't, but i got no strings.

Your thinking is correct, but the term "connected" (in this case) would mean that you did get the strings. What really happened, is that Hyperterm was able to "open the serial port", but unable to "connect" to the legend.

Also I tried plugging my digital camera in to the serial and it didn't work either. So that rules out the cable. I use the cable that came with it. Every thing is plugged in correctly, no extensions, and I have everything speaking the same language.

While there could be a problem with that configuration also, it would make me more suspicious of the computer/serial port.

I do have a tower and if one part of it was unplugged would it still say it was intact?

Yes. That means that Windows can talk to the serial port chips on the motherboard. It doesnt mean the serial port chips can talk to the outside world.

I tell you what you have no idea how much i appreciate your help. 

No problem, I havnt really done anything. B)

Garmin (and everyone else) still uses serial communication because that is the GPS standard. NMEA and everyone else specifies RS232 serial communications. USB will probably take over sometime in the future, but no manufacturer can afford to abandon the standard that is in place now. GPS is used with far more equipment than just new laptops.

Ok, i've tried everything you mentioned, checked bios and checked windows hardware status, all say serial port is intact. It must have connected with hyper because it didn't say it didn't, but i got no strings. Also I tried plugging my digital camera in to the serial and it didn't work either. So that rules out the cable. I use the cable that came with it. Every thing is plugged in correctly, no extensions, and I have everything speaking the same language. I do have a tower and if one part of it was unplugged would it still say it was intact? I tell you what you have no idea how much i appreciate your help. I've talked to 5 dell technicians today and they don't want to help me at all. Even if they did i can't hardly understand them because they don't speak english very well. I'm going to take the tower lid off and check inside. If all else fails i'll get good with reading paper maps:)

Doug

If you opened hyperterminal and it said it could open the serial port, odds are that the Etrex has a bad port. Since you stated that you just purchased it, I take it that you have never uploaded or downloaded anything from it. If you have not, then take the unit back and exchange it for another one. If you have and it has quit working, then you may want to restore the unit to factory defaults and see if that helps. My Etrex Vista is out in the car, but I can't remember if there is a way to turn the comm port off or not in the settings.

Also, it has been a couple of years since I have done my dell optiplex certification, but I do remember that most dell desktop units have two serial ports on the back of the cpu. You may want to try comm 2 and see if that works. I know a lot of people are throwig a lot of ideas at you, so I hope that mine helps a little. Good Luck.

I did just buy it and haven't downloaded anything just yet. Although my digital camera doesn't work on the serial port either. on the hyper term it doesn't say it is connected, but the connection timer runs as if it is connected, so i'm assuming it made a connection some how. I have given up on trying to get it too work. I'm just going to buy a serial-usb adapter and see what happens that route. I have a feeling that my serial port is bad. I have a dimension 4100 with only 1 port. IF All else fails I can return the garmin back to walmart and get a different one.

I just connected with Hyper Terminal (yes, it's still part of Windows XP). No problem: I saw the $gp strings. This works with two of the Legends (the third is out-of-town with my friend).

But neither MapSource nor EasyGPS can see the connection.

Ok, one problem at a time: :D

You're got receive, now when you say MapSource nor EasyGPS "can see the connection" are they not able to open COM1 or are they unable to find the GPS? There's a difference. If they can't open COM1, then something else is hogging it. A com port can only be used by one program at a time. Also these two programs may need the Garmin set to the Garmin interface.

Lastly, what you've tested so far is receive. You haven't sent. A bad -12V power supply can kill all the serial ports but leave the computer otherwise functional. Something to think about.

Also blown ports are not unheard of. Not common, but not impossible.

Something you might try is fireup Hyperterminal and short pins 2 and 3 together. Anything you type should show on the screen. Remove the short and anything you type shouldn't show on the screen.

I did just buy it and haven't downloaded anything just yet. Although my digital camera doesn't work on the serial port either. on the hyper term it doesn't say it is connected, but the connection timer runs as if it is connected

OK, your turn.

How is the serial port connected to the mother board? Is it though a ribbon cable that could have be connected backwards or off by one pin? That will mess you up.

You an also try the trick of using a paperclip to short pins 2 and 3 and see if in Hyperterm what you type shows in the screen. Then remove the paperclip and see if the screen no longer echos the keyboard.

Although my digital camera doesn't work on the serial port either.

See, that is an important detail. Since the camera does not work either, then the problem is most likely going to be the comm port itself or the motherboard. Try the things Geckogeek stated about checking out the ribbon cable on the motherboard if it has one, otherwise the usb adapter is the way to go. :D

I have a Garmin legend also. Mine did the same thing. I also have a PDA that connects via USB. I finally opened up Active Sync and clicked on "Connection Settings". There is a box checked there that says "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port". Which is odd since my PDA is USB. I unchecked that box and my Garmin now connects great! Try that if you haven't already. That box is checked by default in Active Sync regardless if your PDA is USB. If you don't use Active Sync for your PDA look for a similar thing in your connection software. There is my 2 cents worth!

When you hit OK it will open the port and begin receiving data.  If it says "Unable to open COM1", then some other program is using the port. 

I am having the same problem too. nether my Etrex or GPS-72 was able to communicate with Com1. I am almost to the point of re-installing XP, because something was holding Com1 and Xp is not telling me what that is. :o

Thankfully I searched for this thread, to see if I could get some clues. I do not have a PDA, So I knew that was not the problem.

The other things I have connected, Keyboard, Usb (Mouse,printer,cardreader), no conflicts there.

I have one other device connected by USB, an APC battery back-up UPS, and guess what? according to device manager, it uses Com1.

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out- Thanks for the help! :D:D