Caching With Kids Question

I've started taking the kids (ages 10 and 12) caching. I'm a TNLN-SLT (took nothing, left nothing, Signed The Log) kind of guy but both my kids want to trade when we find a cache. What's worse is that I've got a niece and nephew that have also gone.

Is there a written or un-written one-trade-per-party rule or is it OK for everyone in a caching party to make a trade?

IMHO, anybody can trade anything they want. I might trade for everything in the cache myself, if I wanted to. My daughter might do a trade and I could do a trade. Sometimes, taking moldy paper and leaving nothing is trading up.

As long as we leave the cache contents better than we found them, the caching world is a happy place.

Of course, it's tough to trade up when you find a geocoin...

I carry all the swag for Team Yatta and whenever we go, we all take a look in the cache and see if there is something we want. Sometimes we TNLNSL, other times, we all want an item, other times some of us want an item and the rest of us don't.

The way we work it is we leave the exact number of items as replacement for the items we took. If 4 of us took something, I dig in the swag bag and leave 4 items of equal or better value.

Sometimes we take nothing but leave items anyway because the selection in the cache is getting thin. :D

I geocache with the kids all the time. Our general rule is that each child has the opportunity to take something and then leave one or more items. My main exception is when there are numerous identical signature items in a cache (such as finders buttons). In such cases, we usually only take one of those signature items, ensuring that there will be others available for the next cachers.

FISUR

All of my 5 kids understand that they trade for equal value, at least. I encourage them to trade up, but the 3 and 4 yr-olds barely understand the concept of "leave swag, take swag." (For what it's worth, because of the 3, 4, and 7 yr-olds, I am grateful to anyone who leaves McToys for them. It makes it easier to trade up!) :D