Just Wondering

jetdog

OK, here's one:

We've found 8 or so caches in the last few days. While I understand the limitations of GPS (I use it every day at work,) this one has me puzzled. When we find a cache, I always place the GPSr right where the cache is. While the LAT/LONGS are exactly on, the my GPSr says up to 10 feet, sometimes 25-30 feet away. Why is that? :D Just curious....

Also....for anyone that owns a Magellan SporTrak Map....is there a way to shut off WAAS? Can't find it in the manual and I've read on here that it saves battery juice.

Thanks

...While the LAT/LONGS are exactly on, the my GPSr says up to 10 feet, sometimes 25-30 feet away.

The Sport Track Map only displays two digits of decimal minuets. That's about 60 feet latitude, and 40 feet longitude (for most of the US.) So your coordinates could be the right number displayed, but actually be up to 50 feet away.

mabe the numbers are getting a little off in the download process...never thought to double check the numbers for accuracy, just loaded them and off we went. oh well....whatever is going it....it's workin' out ok as we're pretty successful at finding them.

The Sport Track Map only displays two digits of decimal minuets.

Wrong.

No, Right. I did look through the manual. Every page that shows the Lat long display shows it as DD MM.mm. NOT MM.mmm see pages: 5, 6, 11, 12, 33

Page 33 is an example GOTO display.

When I posted the first reply I had not seen yours. I was not trying to say you were wrong, or post something counter to yours on purpose.

Edited by geckoee
The Sport Track Map only displays two digits of decimal minuets.

Wrong.

No, Right. I did look through the manual. Every page that shows the Lat long display shows it as DD MM.mm. NOT MM.mmm see pages: 5, 6, 11, 12, 33

When I posted the first reply I had not seen yours. I was not trying to say you were wrong, or post something counter to yours on purpose.

Actually it does go to 3 digits, I'm looking at mine right now. The manual is just showing 2, it is most likely another misprint in it. It also says it only has 4 meg of loadable memory- it actually has 6.

Actually it does go to 3 digits, I'm looking at mine right now. The manual is just showing 2, it is most likely another misprint in it. It also says it only has 4 meg of loadable memory- it actually has 6.

That makes sense. Even the Garmin Yellow has three digits. When Jet described his problem I though about how far in minutes his numbers were, and came to the possibility of the unit not displaying all the digits. I don't have a Sport Map, so I looked through the manual on line, and saw it only displaying two digits. I guess I should know better than to trust what I find on line. Even if it is from the manufacture. (Just like you can't trust the forums :D )

Edited by geckoee

Page 50 is pretty clear about saying that DD MM.mmm is the default. I have no idea why Magellan would show the examples they do on the pages you mentioned. ;)

Good luck with you furture hunts, jetdog! :P