GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I'm in front of my GSAK console, so I can confirm Olar's memory.  The Street Atlas txt export would also load into a spreadsheet, although it looks like the S&T csv format has a little more information.

GPSBabel also supports a csv format that might give you more data fields, but I'll defer that experiment to the curious and/or the knowledgeable.

OK. I tried both of these formats and it only get's me part of the way there. One of the fields I really need to export with the file is the distance and direction from the Center point (for obvious reasons.

ClydeE, chime in here. Am I missing the process to export to a true csv or Excel of all the fields or can we request it for a future date? Can we? :lol: Huh? :lol: Huh? :lol:B)

You are not missing the process - unfortunately that feature is not there, YET

I did make mention of this a couple of times in this thread (Yea, I know the thread moves quickly) but I will repeat:

There are two main features that GSAK is lacking and I intend to remedy.

1. Printing

2. User defined exports

Both are non trivial, but I would hope to have them implemented soon. I just have a few more minor things to add to the upcoming 3.04 release then I'm on to it.

Expanding on the User defined Exports, I will be allowing you to select any fields from the database, in any order, then give you the option to export to CSV, Excel, HTML or Word Doc. I will also allow for fixed user defined literals. I suspect there will be other features added also when this becomes mainstream.

Hope this answers your question

Darn - GSAK was working perfectly and suddenly something significant has changed.

When I created CacheMate files today (I create one pdb file for found caches and another for unfound caches), the code (which has always been GC...., the standard GC.com waypoint name) was replaced by the compound smart name (generated by +%smart=9) I had used for the last MapSource file creation.

Now instead of having the waypoint name and the cache name, I have the compound smart name and the cache name in CacheMate. Since CacheMate uses the waypoint name as the index, all the found and unfound files I just downloaded duplicated the ones that were there.

I deleted the extra found records (at least I had imported them into a category by themselves) and tried again, but got the same result. I reconfigured the MapSource file generation to use %code and ran one pass, then tried again, and once again got the same result.

I don't think it's relevant, but one thing I have done was replace GPSBabel with a beta version that worked with the SPIII firmware version 2.70. But I thought CMConvert was where the pdb generation took place, and that GPSBabel was not involved. Anyway, other than that change, I'm using GSAK 3.03 build 20 as it is originally delivered.

There's no configuration for smart naming on the CacheMate export as far as I can tell. How did I accidentally switch on smart naming for Cachemate? And how can I turn it off again?

Jon

Darn - GSAK was working perfectly and suddenly something significant has changed.

When I created CacheMate files today (I create one pdb file for found caches and another for unfound caches), the code (which has always been GC...., the standard GC.com waypoint name) was replaced by the compound smart name (generated by +%smart=9) I had used for the last MapSource file creation.

Now instead of having the waypoint name and the cache name, I have the compound smart name and the cache name in CacheMate. Since CacheMate uses the waypoint name as the index, all the found and unfound files I just downloaded duplicated the ones that were there.

I deleted the extra found records (at least I had imported them into a category by themselves) and tried again, but got the same result. I reconfigured the MapSource file generation to use %code and ran one pass, then tried again, and once again got the same result.

I don't think it's relevant, but one thing I have done was replace GPSBabel with a beta version that worked with the SPIII firmware version 2.70. But I thought CMConvert was where the pdb generation took place, and that GPSBabel was not involved. Anyway, other than that change, I'm using GSAK 3.03 build 20 as it is originally delivered.

There's no configuration for smart naming on the CacheMate export as far as I can tell. How did I accidentally switch on smart naming for Cachemate? And how can I turn it off again?

Jon

The was an oversight (read bug) in the implementation of the original generation of CacheMate files. GSAK is actually getting this setting from the GPX export dialog, so if you do a GPX/LOC export and change your settings back to %code, that should fix it.

This "oversight" has been fixed in 3.04 (out soon, but availble to registered users now) and the CacheMate export dialog now gives you full control of the generation of the waypoint name using the special %tags.

Non Esential Suggestion:

On import GSAK gives the pop up message:

Total Waypoints Added: xxx

Total Waypoints Updated: xxx

It would be nice to have a line:

Total Waypoints Processed: xxx

or

Total Waypoints Unchanged: xxx

This way one would know at a glance how many waypoints were in a .gpx file.

A number of times I have thought there was a problem because 0 waypoints were added and only 2 were updated when I ran a new .gpx file through the system, thinking (or not) that there were only 2 waypoints in the .gpx and not realizing that the other 243 waypoints were duplicated in a previous download.

It has just been pointed out to me over in the gpsBabel discussion group that there is a utility available called st2gpx that will extract route-points from s&t files into gpx.

This gpx file can then be imported into the 'arc' filter directly.

Too Cool! Now I can plot my course along the highways and byways that I plan to travel, convert that to a gpx file, import it as an arc filter, and then only export those caches within XX number of miles of my route!

I hope to be able to copy the arc filter text over to the HTML reference locations so then I will have all the caches within 2 miles of every highway exit along my travels this summer.

GSAK - GpsBabel - and now st2gpx - Thanks Clyde, Robert, and James!

It has just been pointed out to me over in the gpsBabel discussion group that there is a utility available called st2gpx that will extract route-points from s&t files into gpx.

This gpx file can then be imported into the 'arc' filter directly.

Too Cool! Now I can plot my course along the highways and byways that I plan to travel, convert that to a gpx file, import it as an arc filter, and then only export those caches within XX number of miles of my route!

I hope to be able to copy the arc filter text over to the HTML reference locations so then I will have all the caches within 2 miles of every highway exit along my travels this summer.

GSAK - GpsBabel - and now st2gpx - Thanks Clyde, Robert, and James!

Yes, that is correct, GSAK arc filters support the direct import of GPX files.

These GPX files can also contain routes (as converterd from st2gpx and GPSbabel, and GSAK will use the route points for the arc filter - if there are no routes GSAK then just uses the individual waypoints from the GPX file)

Eventually I plan to add the ability to interrogate your GPS to grab a route to use for your arc filter. That way you can travel any route in your car first, then download to GSAK to see all the caches within x miles of that route.

Has anyone requested the ability (maybe a checkbox on the Export screens) to launch the program to open the exported file? As an example, in my case, if I have a set filtered and export to Mapsource, it would be nice to be be able to have Mapsource launch and open the file.

Has anyone requested the ability (maybe a checkbox on the Export screens) to launch the program to open the exported file? As an example, in my case, if I have a set filtered and export to Mapsource, it would be nice to be be able to have Mapsource launch and open the file.

I can see merit in what you are asking.

Currently Ozi explorer wpt format is the only export that does this, but GSAK actually goes a step further because Ozi provide a dll which enables GSAK to converse with it.

The one problem with this idea is that for it to work, you must have the file extension associated with the mapping program you want to use. If for instance you tried this with the CSV export from Microsoft Streets & Trips you would more than likely find that Microsoft Excel would fire up with that file.

Just for interest, is the MPS file associated with Mapsource after Install of the software? If so, then this option would work for Mapsource. (try double clicking on a .mps file and let me know if it results in starting up Mapsource with those waypoints loaded as you would want)

Edited to add last paragraph

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde

Being Swiss and usiing Swiss Army knives, it's an honor for me to use GSAK B):lol: Thank you for a great program!!

Now my question:

I am an old-fashined guy who doesn't have a credit or debit card. (Nor do I consider it for the future), thus I cannot take advantage of PayPal.

Is there any possibility to send you a money order? Or use money transfer by WesternUnion?

I would like to register, but not at the price of needing a credit/debit card

If there is a possibility to do so, please let me know "off-forum" (email)

Clyde:

Yes, a MPS file is initially defaulted to MapSource (at least on my machine it was) and clicking a MPS file in Windows Explorer launches MapSource.

In the beta version build you sent me, checking the option launched the generated MapSource file. It worked PERFECTLY!!

Of course with the latest version of MapSource, you need to click Ok when the program launches telling you it's an older format (vs the new GDB format) but once GPSBabel handles that format, that would go away too. When it does, selecting v6 of MapSource in your DDLB for version should generate a GDB and if the option to launch MapSource is checked, it would open the GDB without being prompted.

OUTSTANDING AS ALWAYS - THANK YOU!!

David

In the beta version build you sent me, checking the option launched the generated MapSource file. It worked PERFECTLY!!

Of course with the latest version of MapSource, you need to click Ok when the program launches telling you it's an older format (vs the new GDB format) but once GPSBabel handles that format, that would go away too. When it does, selecting v6 of MapSource in your DDLB for version should generate a GDB and if the option to launch MapSource is checked, it would open the GDB without being prompted.

Good to see it worked. I will now commit that change to the upcoming 3.04 public release.

You obviously have a good take on how it all hangs together and your analysis of how GDB files will be handled (Once GPSBabel can generate) is spot on.

Edited by ClydeE

Good to see it worked. I will now commit that change to the upcoming 3.04 public release.

You obviously have a good take on how it all hangs together and your analysis of how GDB files will be handled (Once GPSBabel can generate) is spot on.

Some inroads have been made into reverse engineering the GDB format, but it's not well enough understood yet to support tracks and routes, and don't see a reason to go functionally backwards just to eliminate a warning on startup.

Garmin users can accelerate GDB support in GPSBabel and their other favorite programs by lobbying Garmin to publish their file formats. We (Ian, Mark, and myself) have spent a totally disproportionate amount of time on Mapsource becuase we have to "guess" what's in them. I think we finally have MPS working pretty well, so you can see why we're reluctant to byte it off again. Publish a complete and accurate file description (like their competition does) and it becomes a much more interesting problem to solve.

Better yet, lobby them to implement GPX.

I approached Garmin on this once on both topics and was shut down.

i've got 3.04 now and will gladly test any batch file stuff you have clyde. I don't use it (at the moment) in batch mode - but I might do to import the latest gpx's when i synchronise the laptop,pda and desktop machines.

Any news on the postcode format for the uk?

ps the help for 3.04 only references 3.03.

i've got 3.04 now and will gladly test any batch file stuff you have clyde. I don't use it (at the moment) in batch mode - but I might do to import the latest gpx's when i synchronise the laptop,pda and desktop machines.

What build of 3.04 do you have?. (Help=>About) I am currently up to build 28, which includes amoung other things, UK post codes.

What build of 3.04 do you have?. (Help=>About) I am currently up to build 28, which includes amoung other things, UK post codes.

Hey ClydeE,

I emailed you with some information regarding GSAK implementation with the Lowrance iFinder. I've got all of the export file information you'll probably need to do it. Just let me know if you're interested and I'll be glad to send it. :blink:

Hey ClydeE,

I emailed you with some information regarding GSAK implementation with the Lowrance iFinder. I've got all of the export file information you'll probably need to do it. Just let me know if you're interested and I'll be glad to send it.  :blink:

GSAK uses GPSBabel"under the hood" for all GPS communication. I think you will find that it was Robert Lipe who made you that offer - as I can't speak for him directly, I think it best if you correspond with him on this.

Edited by ClydeE
Hey ClydeE,

I emailed you with some information regarding GSAK implementation with the Lowrance iFinder. I've got all of the export file information you'll probably need to do it. Just let me know if you're interested and I'll be glad to send it.  :blink:

GSAK uses GPSBabel"under the hood" for all GPS communication. I think you will find that it was Robert Lipe who made you that offer - as I can't speak for him directly, I think it best if you correspond with him on this.

Great, thanks Clyde.

I downloaded the software, and there is an actual file format that works for conversion to iFinder format.

It's called "Comma Separated Values". You transform the GPX file to that and then import the file on either MapCreate or GDM6.

:huh:

I am sure others have come up with their own custom URLs that they have added to GSAK - here are the two I use (and now work even better since GSAK recognizes more % tags on the export:

LostOutDoors Topo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=2&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

LostOutDoors Photo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=1&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

Sorry for all the %2Cs but appears commas are stripped. Probably something I have set somewhere - :blink:

(edited for typo)

Edited by YeOleImposter
I am sure others have come up with their own custom URLs that they have added to GSAK - here are the two I use (and now work even better since GSAK recognizes more % tags on the export:

LostOutDoors Topo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=2&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

LostOutDoors Photo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=1&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

Sorry for all the %2Cs but appears commas are stripped. Probably something I have set somewhere - :blink:

(edited for typo)

Thanks for that (I have since stopped the stripping out of the comma). However, don't forget you are using the 3.04 development version of GSAK which is not available to the public yet.

But when it is ....

Another handy URL if you want to automatically add caches to your watch list from GSAK is:

Add Watch=http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?w=%gcid

Sorry for all the %2Cs but appears commas are stripped.  Probably something I have set somewhere - :blink:

(edited for typo)

Thanks for that (I have since stopped the stripping out of the comma). However, don't forget you are using the 3.04 development version of GSAK which is not available to the public yet.

But when it is ....

Another handy URL if you want to automatically add caches to your watch list from GSAK is:

Add Watch=http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?w=%gcid

Ooops, my bad.

This one I have had for a long time, for all the Benchmark Hunters:

BM DataSheet=http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=%code

I'm using build 30 now clyde and the postcode works great.

do you want another thread opened for macro support requests/functionality things or do you want it in here or emailed?

It would be nice to have the ability to import gpxsonar notes from a batch file into gsak via the commandline.

Also loading a directory of files into the database (as opposed to one at a time). I know *I* could write a batch file to do this, but it would be better to have it native.

I'm using build 30 now clyde and the postcode works great.

do you want another thread opened for macro support requests/functionality things or do you want it in here or emailed?

It would be nice to have the ability to import gpxsonar notes from a batch file into gsak via the commandline.

Also loading a directory of files into the database (as opposed to one at a time). I know *I* could write a batch file to do this, but it would be better to have it native.

Best to keep it here for now. I will start a new thread and close this one down when I release 3.04 (hopefully in the next couple of days)

My apologies for letting this one get so big again - I should have started a new thread for 3.01, 3.02 etc. I will follow that policy from now on.

In the perfect world, GSAK automation would allow for everything you can currently do now from the GUI. Obviously this would be too daunting to do from day 1. Feedback like yours is helpful and I will gradually add in new macro commands as users request them. I just need to get a feel for how many users want this automation and which tasks to add first. So feel free to make requests here.

Excuse my ignorance here......but I am a 50 year old non techie (and my kids are gone from home) that struggles with this stuff. I am using GSAK with the premium pocket queries along with a IPAQ pocket PC. I am running GPXSonar and GpxView (trying to figure out which one I like best). While I can usually get it done after flailing around a while, I have trouble getting the weekly pocket queries unzipped and moved into the right spot to sync with my pocket PC. This statement was posted over on Geocaching Topics.

" 5. Used the Export feature of GSAK to create a .PDB file, which is what the palm uses. GSAK automatically puts the exported file in a place where it needs to be in order to be transferred to the palm when I hotsync the palm. "
Is there a way to configure GSAK to do this with my pocket PC?

Thanks

" 5. Used the Export feature of GSAK to create a .PDB file, which is what the palm uses. GSAK automatically puts the exported file in a place where it needs to be in order to be transferred to the palm when I hotsync the palm. "

If I am understanding your question correctly, Yes, you can export a .gpx file from GSAK and then use it in your pocket pc just like you would use the .gpx file you get from GC.com

Am sure some pocket pc users will give you an idea here of what they do.

Excuse my ignorance here......but I am a 50 year old non techie (and my kids are gone from home) that struggles with this stuff. I am using GSAK with the premium pocket queries along with a IPAQ pocket PC. I am running GPXSonar and GpxView (trying to figure out which one I like best). While I can usually get it done after flailing around a while, I have trouble getting the weekly pocket queries unzipped and moved into the right spot to sync with my pocket PC. This statement was posted over on Geocaching Topics.

Thanks

Any GPX file (not just from GSAK) can be used on your pocked PC in both GPXSonar and GPXView. There is really no need for some special "export" option in GSAK to to this, as it is just a matter of exporting or copying the GPX file over to your PPC

There are two main methods for doing this:

1. Copy/Export the GPX file from your desktop to to a memory card that is supported by your PPC, then stick the memory card in your PPC.

2. Copy the GPX file directly to your PPC using windows Explorer. You must have your PPC connected to your Desktop computer via the cable that came with it, and have Microsoft Active Sync installed and running (again this sofware should have come with your PPC)

If I am understanding your question correctly, Yes, you can export a .gpx file from GSAK and then use it in your pocket pc just like you would use the .gpx file you get from GC.com

Am sure some pocket pc users will give you an idea here of what they do.

Any GPX file (not just from GSAK) can be used on your pocked PC in both GPXSonar and GPXView. There is really no need for some special "export" option in GSAK to to this, as it is just a matter of exporting or copying the GPX file over to your PPC

There are two main methods for doing this:

1. Copy/Export the GPX file from your desktop to to a memory card that is supported by your PPC, then stick the memory card in your PPC.

2. Copy the GPX file directly to your PPC using windows Explorer. You must have your PPC connected to your Desktop computer via the cable that came with it, and have Microsoft Active Sync installed and running (again this sofware should have come with your PPC)

Yes, I know it can be done, and I have done it 3-4 times.....but it always takes me a while until I get the GPX file unzipped and move to the right spot to make it sync with the pocket pc. And after trying so many different ways, I never remember what finally worked.

What I am looking for is something that would simplify or automate the process. Could the export feature of GSAK (Export GPX/LOC File) be configured once and then it would default to this every time........so it would export the file to the right place.....like the ActiveSync files.

I know this task should be pretty simple.......but I am just not that computer savvy.

Thanks for your help!!!!

If you just want to use the .gpx that you get from gc.com then I would look for a 'simpler' solution than importing to gsak and then back out. You probably just need to find out where that 'right' directory is, and create a shortcut to it on your desktop or in 'my documents' so that you can just drop the file in there everytime.

I have a directory I named 'shortcuts' in 'my documents' that contains shortcuts to the many different directories I need to drop files into. I can rename the shortcuts to something that makes sense to me - and now I never have to browse to the right spot again - just to the 'shortcut' directory and then drop the file onto the correct shortcut.

Now - if you want your .gpx to contain more than the 5 last logs, or you want to do some other manipulation of the .gpx files you download - then GSAK is the answer, and I think it remembers the last directory you saved a file to, so again it makes it easy.

Yes, I know it can be done, and I have done it 3-4 times.....but it always takes me a while until I get the GPX file unzipped and move to the right spot to make it sync with the pocket pc. And after trying so many different ways, I never remember what finally worked.

What I am looking for is something that would simplify or automate the process. Could the export feature of GSAK (Export GPX/LOC File) be configured once and then it would default to this every time........so it would export the file to the right place.....like the ActiveSync files.

I know this task should be pretty simple.......but I am just not that computer savvy.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Ok, so long as you have active sync installed, and when the install wizard started you selected the "standard partnership" any files you place in the folder "Pocket_PC My Documents" (which you will find in your My Documents folder) will be synchronized with your PPC. As GSAK remembers your last folder and file you exported to, you only need to complete the export once to have the settings saved.

So all you need to do is export a GPX file to the "Pocket_PC My Documents folder" (you can use the little folder box at the end of the file name to help you navigate to this folder) then when you connect your PPC to your desktop, your file will be automatically copied over.

Clyde, While playing with GSAK I was wondering what you and others would think about changing the HTML 'Location Indices' display.

I am thinking one of two things.

As a minimum make it so that the locations that are checked would remain checked - I run the same output most times - it is a pain to have to recheck them each time - also when the new 'automated' running of GSAK from the command line will need to know what locations are 'checked'. Also the 'radius' option should be displayed after the location name, so that it has BOX name, radius. Otherwise there is no way to tell if you have a radius or what it is unless you open the locations for editing.

Better yet (but maybe a step back from a GUI perspective) would be to make it look like the 'arc' filter and let us just #comment out lines we don't want to use. This would give the advantage of a constant list, plus allow comments in the text, and the 'radius' field is quite evident. Plus the 'automated' function should be easier to run.

The current format is 'prettier' but I think the raw form is much more functional.

Just 2 more of my cents :huh:

Thanks!

i tried doing a search for usb, but no luck,...

does GSAK work /w my garmon 60cs connected via a USB cable? or do i have to go out a buy a serial cable so that i can connect to com1 or 2, which seem to be the only option int he gps set up page...

thx

i tried doing a search for usb, but no luck,...

does GSAK work /w my garmon 60cs connected via a USB cable? or do i have to go out a buy a serial cable so that i can connect to com1 or 2, which seem to be the only option int he gps set up page...

thx

3. I have a USB GPS (eg Garmin 60C). How do I send waypoints to it?

GSAK uses GPSBabel "Under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS. So as soon as GPSBabel supports USB so will GSAK. There are currently 2 ways to get around this for the Garmin 60c/s

Use GSAK to export required waypoints to Mapsource, then use Mapsource (software provided with the Garmin 60c/s) to upload to your USB GPS

Purchase a serial cable (this will also enable you to use other software that only supports serial communication.

I am starting to think I might be asking too much of this or any program, so feel free to slap me down :D

I now only use three programs, Mapsource for my maps, Cachemate for my field work and GSAK for keeping my master logs and loading both the previous two programs.

The problem I am now having is when I update GSAK to show found and the date I found and then do an export to CacheMate, it does not update the status in CacheMate to FOUND or the date. On the ones where I just put in the date found (Because I hadn't done it in CacheMate for whatever reason), it did not transfer that information to CacheMate either.

Is this a CacheMate or GSAK issue?

Also, one for the wish list: A way to just show what has been added to the database on the last update to it. I know you can look at the date placed, and this works in most cases, but sometimes I add in other areas (zip codes) and would like to see my mods done/added during the last update. :D

Edited by baloo&bd
I am starting to think I might be asking too much of this or any program, so feel free to slap me down :D

I now only use three programs, Mapsource for my maps, Cachemate for my field work and GSAK for keeping my master logs and loading both the previous two programs.

The problem I am now having is when I update GSAK to show found and the date I found and then do an export to CacheMate, it does not update the status in CacheMate to FOUND or the date. On the ones where I just put in the date found (Because I hadn't done it in CacheMate for whatever reason), it did not transfer that information to CacheMate either.

Is this a CacheMate or GSAK issue?

Also, one for the wish list: A way to just show what has been added to the database on the last update to it. I know you can look at the date placed, and this works in most cases, but sometimes I add in other areas (zip codes) and would like to see my mods done/added during the last update. :D

The found by you date is a GSAK specific add on, so I can understand why that is not converted over to CacheMate. However, if you flag a cache as found in GSAK then generate a CacheMate pdb file, I would expect CacheMate to recognize this as a found cache. Are you sure CacheMate does not recognize it as such? Can other users of GSAK/Cachemate confirm or deny this?

As for the second part of your question, you can't do that now in 3.03 - However 3.04 (although perhaps not as intuative as it should be) allows you to do this.

3.04 should be out very soon.

Another feature I would like to see in GSAK would be the ability to ABORT the HTML export. Not sure if it is needed in the other exports but every so often I use the wrong filter and it is not until I hit GENERATE that I realize it is going to create the output for 3000 records - and no way to stop it.

- However 3.04 (although perhaps not as intuative as it should be) allows you to do this.

Clyde,

Would the option of seeing what was just added be after build 15? Or do I need to go searching the options in my program?

Gary

- However 3.04 (although perhaps not as intuative as it should be) allows you to do this.

Clyde,

Would the option of seeing what was just added be after build 15? Or do I need to go searching the options in my program?

Gary

I am now up to build 40 (I think this feature was added about build 21).

I am right now in the process of making 3.04 public so it should be up in the next few hours.

Perhaps next release I will make this more transparent to the user, but at least now in 3.04 you can achieve it. A bit clumsy but:

1. Load your GPX file selecting the new "existing only" option

2. Clear all user flags (User Flags=>Clear all user flags)

3. Load the same GPX file, but this time select the "newer only option" and the new "set user flag...." option

You can then set a filter on User Flag = Set to view just the added waypoints. This works because step 1 updates all the existing waypoints with the "last update" of the GPX file. When you run step 3, only the new records added to the database will have the user flag set (all the other records will not because the incoming date in the GPX file is now NOT newer than the database "last update" of all the existing waypoints that had a match)