GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Thanks for the link.

I notice the file does not include the locatioin name for the post code, obviously I would prefer this but I get the feeling this would be better than nothing for UK users.

I will try to include this in the next release of GSAK

Following on .....

I just downloaded the file and it only has 2,822 post codes for the whole of the UK

Hey, I'm just an ignorant Ozi, but this does seem rather a small number to me. Can some one confirm that this number is correct/reasonable?

Edited by ClydeE

Hello,

I read through the threads and couldn't find anything relative to my concern, so here goes... I just dl'd ver v.3.03, Kudos Clyde, it just keeps getting better and better! I noticed one small glitch, for me anyway. GSAK is no longer identifying (colorizing) caches that I placed. They are all white. Any ideas?

TIA,

Wolf

Hello,

I read through the threads and couldn't find anything relative to my concern, so here goes... I just dl'd ver v.3.03,  Kudos Clyde, it just keeps getting better and better!  I noticed one small glitch, for me anyway.  GSAK is no longer identifying (colorizing) caches that I placed.  They are all white.  Any ideas?

TIA,

Wolf

First you must make sure your colour for placed caches in not white :mad:

Second, You must identify yourself correctly to GSAK in order for it to match your placed caches. There are threee ways you can match your placed caches. Please see this help topic

You can update the above settings via Tools=>Options

The most common cause of this error is using the exact method and not realizing that it is case sensitive

If you still feel everthing looks ok but your placed caches are not being coloured, please e-mail me your GSAK.ini file (located in the install folder of GSAK) and a GPX file that has a least one of your placed caches.

Edited by ClydeE
Hey Clyde what do you need me to send you so that Canada can be included in the 'postal code centre point' pull down menu?

Basically I just need a file of all the post codes, corresponding location, and Lat/Lon. The Lat/Lon usually being the centre point of the post code or perhpas the GPO.

Cor - when i saw this I got all excited and then had to remember just where I had seen a uk version of this on the net in the past couple of weeks! Anyway, a quick hunt on google brings me to http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/ which has a file to download for the uk postcodes.... Clyde, can this be incorporated please pretty please?

Thanks for the link.

I notice the file does not include the locatioin name for the post code, obviously I would prefer this but I get the feeling this would be better than nothing for UK users.

I will try to include this in the next release of GSAK

A combination of the jibble llink and this Post code files may get a reasonable UK post code list. There is a comma separated file there that I'm sure could be merged with the jibble one somehow - easy peasy for you I should think Clyde :mad: .

I use a flag symbol for my caches, no idea why.

One problem I'm having is GSAK is not showing all of the caches I've found. Now I don't know if this is a PQ problem or what, well I guess it must be. But between running 3-4 seperate searchs it's only showing about 90% of my finds. I only have 263 finds.

I have 3 PQ's:

1. All my finds within 500 mile radius, 500 max

2. All caches within 100 miles, 500 max

3. Then I have several other searches overlappring in 4 direction finding all caches again.

Any ideas? This is even counting the archived caches.

Idea for a feature I'd like to see and don't remember having seen discussed. Some way of noting caches I have hunted but not found. Presently I keep my DNF log as a note, so I can get there by filtering on the caches with notes, but it would be neat if they could be a different color like found and archived are. Not too picky on the mechanism for entering them, a manual field would be ok, tho a search for logs by my user name would be sweet. I am already using the 'user data' field for something else, plus this wouldn't allow the 'flag by waypoint color' to work. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I use a flag symbol for my caches, no idea why.

One problem I'm having is GSAK is not showing all of the caches I've found. Now I don't know if this is a PQ problem or what, well I guess it must be. But between running 3-4 seperate searchs it's only showing about 90% of my finds. I only have 263 finds.

I have 3 PQ's:

1. All my finds within 500 mile radius, 500 max

2. All caches within 100 miles, 500 max

3. Then I have several other searches overlappring in 4 direction finding all caches again.

Any ideas? This is even counting the archived caches.

This issue was discussed in some depth in the old GSAK thread.

Unfortunately there is more than one reason why your counts won't match exactly. The biggest single reason is archived caches becasue they are not included in a PQ. The other subtle one is "Web Cam" caches, because for some reason even though you log them, gc.com do not update the "found" flag. GSAK then has to search the logs of "Web cam" caches to know this is a find, and this can be a problem if it is not in the last 5 logs. There are a few more reasons, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Idea for a feature I'd like to see and don't remember having seen discussed.  Some way of noting caches I have hunted but not found.  Presently I keep my DNF log as a note, so I can get there by filtering on the caches with notes, but it would be neat if they could be a different color like found and archived are.  Not too picky on the mechanism for entering them, a manual field would be ok, tho a search for logs by my user name would be sweet.  I am already using the  'user data' field for something else, plus this wouldn't allow the 'flag by waypoint color' to work.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Adding another count/colour is a non trivial task (it also needs to be propagated to all the exports that support it) so I would definitely need a lot of users requesting before implementing. Having said that, if the demand is there I will do it.

However, I do have a work around for you. This work around could also apply to many other custom searches you would like to perform.

The user note is a very versatile feature (as mentioned before you can also add pictures/images to GSAK with user notes) and is the basis for this work around.

What I suggest is that you come up with a unique code to identify caches for whatever reason. For your example of not found caches you could use something like NFCache or NFCX. It really doesn't matter as long as the code you come up with would not be expected to be found anywhere in a cache (including description and logs)

Now enter this code anywhere in each user note for the caches you could not find.

To get a filter of just these caches, do a "Full text search" filter using this code for your search (hence the reason you must make sure this code is unique).

This method would allow all kinds of custom cache indenification and searching. It is also worth noting that you could have as many of these custom codes as you like per cache/note.

Edited by ClydeE

Thanks Clyde, your idea of the coded entry work around will fit my needs until enough others join me in asking for this :mad: . I use the notes for lots of things (saving email responses on virts, saving photos, ...) but a filter on not founds + note was pretty close. The addition of a code will knock that all down to 1 step.

You the man B) !

I have had a few isolated reports of filters getting corrupt. The most severe cases of this would cause GSAK to crash on start up with the error “Insufficient memory”. The only way to fix this was to delete the “filter.cds” file, causing loss of all your saved filters.

I finally had a user that was able to produce this problem on a regular basis. Though I am still not sure why, the problem is with the way Delphi generates the XML information for this file, causing corruption in certain circumstances. I converted the filter.cds file from XML over to the main GSAK database engine (it is now filter.dbf) and we have since been unable to reproduce the error.

I now have a development version of GSAK with this fix. All previous filters will be automatically converted over to the new filter.dbf file. I don’t want to go public with this version yet (there is not enough meat in this version yet, and I think users tired of the frequent updates) so if you are one of the isolated users that get this problem, please e-mail me and I will send you the URL to upgrade.

A combination of the jibble llink and this Post code files may get a reasonable UK post code list. There is a comma separated file there that I'm sure could be merged with the jibble one somehow - easy peasy for you I should think Clyde :mad: .

Thanks. Very useful. This should enable me to build a UK post code list complete with location names.

Idea for a feature I'd like to see and don't remember having seen discussed.  Some way of noting caches I have hunted but not found.  Presently I keep my DNF log as a note, so I can get there by filtering on the caches with notes, but it would be neat if they could be a different color like found and archived are.  Not too picky on the mechanism for entering them, a manual field would be ok, tho a search for logs by my user name would be sweet.  I am already using the  'user data' field for something else, plus this wouldn't allow the 'flag by waypoint color' to work.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Adding another count/colour is a non trivial task (it also needs to be propagated to all the exports that support it) so I would definitely need a lot of users requesting before implementing. Having said that, if the demand is there I will do it.

FWIW, it would be a nice feature, but, understanding the amount of work involved, I would not put it as a top priority, just a nice to have someday.

By the way, thanks Clyde for the great program.

Here's an interesting one: I can DL waypoints into GSAK from my 60CS using the serial cable with no problems. When I try to upload waypoints from GSAK 3.03 into the GPSr, I get the following error: "Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE GARMIN:Can't init COM3".

So, fearing a bad cable, I tested it with no problems on other software. I have read the other threads akin to this problem but found no solution, so hence my post.

Any ideas, great ones? :mad:

BTW... Clyde and I have been trading correspondance on this, and testing with previous versions of GPSBabel. Additionally, I have posted this problem on the GPSBabel page at sourceforge.net.

TIA,

Wolf

Edited by WolfTracker

A vote for this on behalf of benchmarkers. We get a lot of these that fall into this category. Right now I am using the "Placed caches" field to represent this data.

OTOH, for benchmarking we have no need for placed items per se, since we are always looking for items placed by someone else.

Thanks for a great program!

I am making these suggestions without being a programmer, so if they're not possible with the time that you can devote to the program, I understand. I put this in the category of "If I don't ask, it won't happen." If I ask and it still doesn't happen, nobody's the worse for it!

• It would be nice to have a microcache override for the icon when sending to the GPSr. This is a feature that I use regularly - my 4-year-old can only handle so many micros between regular containers, and I use a different icon on the GPS so I can easily look at an area and see which caches are micros. (For comparison, this is handled in GPX Spinner by the Micro_Not_Found and Micro_Found settings in the ini.) I don't know if it would be better to do this like GPX Spinner and have an override for microcaches, or to add container / size as another option for setting the icons (which would allow different symbols for micro, regular, large, etc.). I don't usually change icons based on size except for micro, so a micro override would be easier for me. However, adding size as an option might be helpful to some. It would definitely go above the configurability of anything else I have seen!

• The ability to change icon sent to the GPSr based on number of Not Found entries (DNF_Limit, DNF_Not_Found, DNF_Found in GPX Spinner).

• The ability to change icon sent to GPSr based on presence of Travel Bug (TB_Found and TB_Not_Found in GPX Spinner).

• Especially if the above suggestions are implemented, it would be nice to have a method of automatically setting multiple conditions to the same icon, and specifying the order of precedence. For example, I use the same icon for found caches, regardless of type. It would be nice to set "all found caches" to use a particular icon., without having to set each one individually. This probably isn't that big of a deal once set up is complete, but it could make configuring a lot less hassle.

• Keyboard shortcut for Exporting to CacheMate. (I don't know the programming involved, but this might be accomplished by allowing user-configurable keyboard shortcuts for each menu option. My guess is it would take a lot of programming, but I thought I'd mention it on the off-chance it was easier than I suspect.)

• It would be nice for the user to be able to configure the toolbar buttons, or at least choose what map programs the toolbar keys export to. For instance, I don't use MapSend. It would be nice to change that button to export to Streets & Trips or CacheMate.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer with my suggestions. If some of this functionality is included already, I apologize for being blind and missing the info! If it can't / won't be included (for whatever reason, including that I'm the only one who would use these functions! :lol:) that's OK, too. Just giving my suggestions for consideration.

Thanks again for a great program,

workin-4-cache

Edited by workin-4-cache
Thanks for a great program!

I am making these suggestions without being a programmer, so if they're not possible with the time that you can devote to the program, I understand.  I put this in the category of "If I don't ask, it won't happen."  If I ask and it still doesn't happen, nobody's the worse for it! ..............

Thanks for your feedback

All you suggestions are currently on my "to do" list at the moment (though I may need a new hard drive to accommodate this list :( ). However, regarding the icons - perhaps not quite to the full extent. The main problem with the extra icons is how to implement this in a GUI interface without getting too complicated for the user. It gets down to a trade off between power and complexity.

Regarding the shortcut key for cachemate, I will have a look at this but please note that the latest version of GSAK already has a tool button for this.

Edited by ClydeE
For the last month I have averaged over 3 hrs per day just in user support alone (via email) - I certainly don't want to add to this or I will never get any programming done. :D

Following on from this …..

I must confess, I am feeling a little jaded at the moment (I think I now know what people are talking about when they mention the term "burn out" :D .

I need a break.

That is exactly what I will be doing starting 14th May. I am taking the wife on a 3 week vacation over seas.

So if I don’t answer your e-mails or pop up in the forum for a while, please don’t think I am being rude or have abandoned the project. I know there are many public places that have “Internet access”, so I might pop in from time to time – but it will more than my life is worth If I spend too long.

I have been strictly forbidden to take the laptop but the pocket pc did get a special leave pass (currency converter, directions, electronic tourist brochures – that’s my story anyway)

Many new users seem too bashful to use the forum and prefer direct e-mail support. However, I will try to send them this way and I would hope our more experienced users would be able to make them welcome and help out. We are not really that scary are we?

Just don’t find any major bugs while I am away :(

Hopefully, I will come back with renewed enthusiasm and be ready to go full steam ahead again.

If you have questions for me, get em in before the 14th :D

Cheers

Clyde

... Regarding the shortcut key for cachemate, I will have a look at this but please note that the latest version of GSAK already has a tool button for this.

:D OOPS!!! I'm sorry -- I thought I had the latest version (but all I had was 3.01!) :( I'll watch more closely in the future. I just downloaded 3.03 and see the CM button.

Thank you for continuing to work on a great program, and supporting and considering the ides of users -- but do enjoy your vacation -- we'll be here when you get back! :D

workin-4-cache

Gee a person lives in Auzzie land and takes a vacation? Where do you go?? :D

Have a good trip Clyde. We'll try and hold down the fort while you take that much deserved rest.

Tell you what. Send the code to me and while you are away I'll work on some of the changes that have been requested........Now where the heck did I put that dos book....... :(

I was looking to get a quick explanation of how you (the users), load your new GPX pocket queries into GSAK. The problem I’m having it that the when I open a new GPX file it does not import the “found by me” date. It does show that I have found it (correctly color-coded), but the date column is always blank.

My current work-around is to manually input the date, and check the “Lock” option. (Which “Stops GPX/LOC load overriding data”.) This keeps my “Found by me” date fixed, but the problem is that the rest of the information for that cache is never updated from that day forward.

So if any one could, please describe their technique/settings that will allow the “Found by me” data to remain static, while the rest is dynamic.

Thanks in advance.

I was looking to get a quick explanation of how you (the users), load your new GPX pocket queries into GSAK.  The problem I’m having it that the when I open a new GPX file it does not import the “found by me” date.  It does show that I have found it (correctly color-coded), but the date column is always blank.

My current work-around is to manually input the date, and check the “Lock” option.  (Which “Stops GPX/LOC load overriding data”.)  This keeps my “Found by me” date fixed, but the problem is that the rest of the information for that cache is never updated from that day forward.

So if any one could, please describe their technique/settings that will allow the “Found by me” data to remain static, while the rest is dynamic. 

Thanks in advance.

GSAK uses the exact same method to match the "found by me" as is does for your placed by caches.

GPX files don't actually contain the "date found by me" per se. GSAK gets this information by interrogating all the logs, looking for a found log that matches you.

What is happening in your case is that you have not identified yourself to GSAK correctly for this matching. (this would also mean that GSAK is not recognizing your placed by caches either)

You set how GSAK matches you via Tools=>Options, then correctly filling out the "Method for matching placed caches". Click on the help button when you open this dialog (the screen shown in the help file has hot links), or see this topic online here for more information.

Edited by ClydeE

I have 2 quick questions that I can't find the answer to. (hopefully I just didn't read over them!):

1. Is there anyway to filter multiple states using just one saved filter? As an example, I have GPX files from Virginia, Maryland, DC, North Carolina and West Virginia. At times I only want to see just Virginia and DC, but can't set the filter to only allow those states to be seen. The filters seem to allow only one value.

(GLM suggested I use a 'progressive-filter' technique where I can filter each state one at a time until I get what I need, and then export the final file. This works great, but didn't know if there was a one-step solution.).

2. When I solve a puzzle cache, I update the coords in GSAK to the solved ones. I can lock the record to keep it from being updated, but of course I won't get any new logs. Is there a way to lock just the coords, or is it an all or nothing option?

thanks

I have a wishlist item that I have wanted since Watcher first came out. A quick link to the gc.com "add watch" link for a cache. It uses the GC # so it shoudl be easy to open a page with GSAK that goes to the add watch page.

EDIT: FWIW I show over 40,000 postal codes for the U.S. Not sure how the UK does theirs though.

Edited by trippy1976
I have a wishlist item that I have wanted since Watcher first came out. A quick link to the gc.com "add watch" link for a cache. It uses the GC # so it shoudl be easy to open a page with GSAK that goes to the add watch page.

EDIT: FWIW I show over 40,000 postal codes for the U.S. Not sure how the UK does theirs though.

I'm guessing it would be something like http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?w=gc12abc but it looks like it is expecting a number such as 14914 instead of the wp number. You could always post on the geocaching.com page for a unique url via wp number. I did something similar to this so you could go direct to the wp and got a response back from Jeremy pretty quickly. Mind you, I reckon clyde would probably been him to it.

Deleted to save space...

GSAK uses the exact same method to match the "found by me" as is does for your placed by caches.

GPX files don't actually contain the "date found by me" per se. GSAK gets this information by interrogating all the logs, looking for a found log that matches you.

What is happening in your case is that you have not identified yourself to GSAK correctly for this matching. (this would also mean that GSAK is not recognizing your placed by caches either)

You set how GSAK matches you via Tools=>Options, then correctly filling out the "Method for matching placed caches". Click on the help button when you open this dialog (the screen shown in the help file has hot links), or see this topic online here for more information.

Thanks Clyde. I had entered our GC.com ID (Mac and LaLa) on the line and had the "Use gc.com logon ID" radio button pushed. It seems to be working great now that I've changed it to the "Exact Match" setting.

One other quick question, will it look in all the logs for my ID or only so many logs back (the 5 or 6 it seems that are sent in the GPX file from GC.com)? I haven’t had any problems with it NOT picking up any of my finds, but I was just curious.

As with everyone else, the more and more I use GSAK, the more I appreciate the hard work you've put into it. THANK YOU!!!

First off let me state that I really do love this program. I have only been using it for a very short time. I have the Garmin 60cs so in order for me to get the waypoints on to my gps I have to have GSAK export the data to a Mapsource file. Then I send them from Mapsource to the 60cs. First off if there is an easier way to do this please let me know.

One problem I am having is that the file GSAK creates for mapsource seems to have some incorrect fields set.

1. The symbol shown in Mapsource is most of the time 'Amusement Park' instead of geocache. Why is the correct symbol not being downloaded.

I had another problem but figured that out. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. I am running the latest version 3.03 on Windows XP pro.

First off let me state that I really do love this program.  I have only been using it for a very short time.  I have the Garmin 60cs so in order for me to get the waypoints on to my gps I have to have GSAK export the data to a Mapsource file.  Then I send them from Mapsource to the 60cs.  First off if there is an easier way to do this please let me know.

If you get the serial cable for the 60, you can use GSAK to upload waypoints directly. You can also hope that GPSBabel is updated soon to use USB, then you won't have to worry about it.

One problem I am having is that the file GSAK creates for mapsource seems to have some incorrect fields set. 

1. The symbol shown in Mapsource is most of the time 'Amusement Park' instead of geocache.  Why is the correct symbol not being downloaded.

As for the different icons, GSAK permits a great deal of customization for which icon to use for different types of caches. You just need to change the customization.

1. Is there anyway to filter multiple states using just one saved filter? As an example, I have GPX files from Virginia, Maryland, DC, North Carolina and West Virginia. At times I only want to see just Virginia and DC, but can't set the filter to only allow those states to be seen.  The filters seem to allow only one value.

(GLM suggested I use a 'progressive-filter' technique where I can filter each state one at a time until I get what I need, and then export the final file. This works great, but didn't know if there was a one-step solution.).

2. When I solve a puzzle cache, I update the coords in GSAK to the solved ones. I can lock the record to keep it from being updated, but of course I won't get any new logs. Is there a way to lock just the coords, or is it an all or nothing option?

thanks

1. Good question. Unfortunately the short answer is no. I think the future solution would be to add something like an "in list" option for state filters. There are probably a couple of other fields that would also benefit from this "in list" option. My suggested current work around (probably what GLM said):

a) Clear all user flags (User Flags=>Clear all user flags)

b ) Set a filter on the fist state you want

c) Set all user flags for this filter (User Flags=>Set for filter only)

d) Set a filter on the second state

e) Set all user flags for this filter

f) Now set a filter for user flag = set

2. That is exactly what "corrected coordinates" are for. (right mouse click, slect "corrected coordinates"

Edited by ClydeE
Thanks Clyde. I had entered our GC.com ID (Mac and LaLa) on the line and had the "Use gc.com logon ID" radio button pushed. It seems to be working great now that I've changed it to the "Exact Match" setting.

As per the the help link the gc.com id is a number and the link tells you how to find this number. This is the preferred method to use if you have changed your caching name at any time as it will match all of these aliases (That is, your name might change but your ID number does not).

One other quick question, will it look in all the logs for my ID or only so many logs back (the 5 or 6 it seems that are sent in the GPX file from GC.com)? I haven’t had any problems with it NOT picking up any of my finds, but I was just curious.

GSAK will search all your logs in the GSAK database, not just the last 5. Even though GPX files only contain the last 5 or 6 logs, these will accumulate over time in the GSAK database, however you can restrict the number of logs shown in the offline HTML pages via Tools=>Options=>HTML

Edited by ClydeE
I have a wishlist item that I have wanted since Watcher first came out.  A quick link to the gc.com "add watch" link for a cache.  It uses the GC # so it shoudl be easy to open a page with GSAK that goes to the add watch page.

I'm guessing it would be something like http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?w=gc12abc but it looks like it is expecting a number such as 14914 instead of the wp number

Yes, it looks like it wants the cache number and not the cache ID. The cache number is actually calculated from the GCXXXX id. The formula is a bit convoluted as it uses Hex for cache numbers up to 65,535 then a hybrid version of Base 31. Some alphabet letters were removed for clarity and others (like U) removed so cache names could not contain profanity (GCF*CK for instance).

Forutunately I already have this calculation in the GSAK code so this would not be hard to do. I will add this option to the "right click" menu in the next release.

Edited by ClydeE
As for the different icons, GSAK permits a great deal of customization for which icon to use for different types of caches. You just need to change the customization.

I like the icons it is using for the caches. They are perfect. What I am talking about is when GSAK creates the exported MPS file for mapsource. Somehow, when the caches get transfered over, all of the icons get reset to something goofy like 'adventure park'. I think something in the conversion routine may be switching the icons somehow. I looked through the tools/options and saw no specific settings for the conversion. I can fix them by editing them one by one in Mapsource but who wants to do that for 100 waypoints!

As far as the serial cable goes, yea I will just wait till bable converts. I love the speed of USB and hate to regress. I will use easyGPS to get the caches over to my GPS.

thanks

NEVERMIND... I just figured out where all those settings were. I am an idiot. I was just clicking through the popup without even looking!!!!!

Edited by satxbiker

I just upgraded to GSAK 3.0.3. Now I cannot find my database and the locations are gone. I was not using the default \Program Files\ location, but one off \My Documents.

What files should I look for, and where should I move them (assuming they are not overwritten)?

Dave

2. That is exactly what "corrected coordinates" are for. (right mouse click, slect "corrected coordinates"

Just be careful not to overwrite "useful" false coordinates, like when they are set to the the closest parking - I have done this before using corrected coord's

ClydeE is on vacation so hope someone can advise. I am running V3.03 and it has to do with importing the waypoints from geocache.com - Is it the case that none of the info like cache type, difficulty, etc does *not* come across and just the waypoint, name & owner [placed by]?

Tks,

ClydeE is on vacation so hope someone can advise. I am running V3.03 and it has to do with importing the waypoints from geocache.com - Is it the case that none of the info like cache type, difficulty, etc does *not* come across and just the waypoint, name & owner [placed by]?

Tks,

Sounds like you're importing LOC files instead of GPX files. LOC files only have limited waypoint information. GPX files, on the other hand, have full descriptions, last five logs, etc. If you are not a premium member yet, become one, use pocket queries, and make sure the GPX button is checked on your PQ generator.

Tks,

Sounds like you are downloading the .loc file instead of the .gpx file which contains the additional info.

Tks,

Sounds like you're importing LOC files instead of GPX files. LOC files only have limited waypoint information. GPX files, on the other hand, have full descriptions, last five logs, etc. If you are not a premium member yet, become one, use pocket queries, and make sure the GPX button is checked on your PQ generator.

jinx

I just upgraded to GSAK 3.0.3.  Now I cannot find my database and the locations are gone.  I was not using the default \Program Files\ location, but one off \My Documents. 

What files should I look for, and where should I move them (assuming they are not overwritten)?

Dave

I ended up reinstalling more carefully, making sure the path was right. The program appends a \GSAK to wherever you tell it to put it, so when I said "somepath\GSAK", it put the new files in "somepath\GSAK\GSAK". Because the line is longer than the edit box, I didn't see the extra GSAK on the end. :)

All's well now.

Dave

Automating GSAK:

I know this has come up in the past. I've recently modified my batch file which I use to unzip my GPX files to call GSAK automatically using start WHERE .GPX FILES MUST BE ASSIGNED TO GSAK. What I've found is that the /wait option only needs to wait until the command line is handled, so this will launch GSAK if it isn't running, but in subsequent start invocations, the existing GSAK instance is used!

This batch file requires:

wzunzip - the WinZip unzip command line utility (or change it to your preferred version)

.GPX files to be assigned to GSAK (which must be installed)

My automation batch file (called geoprep.bat in the same directory where I drop my zip files):

:begin

if not exist 31327.zip goto next1

del 31327*.gpx

wzunzip 31327.zip

start 31327.gpx /wait

ren 31327.gpx "31327 - Unfound.gpx"

del 31327.zip

:next1

if not exist 40314.zip goto next2

del 40314*.gpx

wzunzip 40314.zip

start 40314.gpx /wait

ren 40314.gpx "40314 - Watched Caches.gpx"

del 40314.zip

:next2

if not exist 40315.zip goto next3

del 40315*.gpx

wzunzip 40315.zip

start 40315.gpx /wait

ren 40315.gpx "40315 - New Caches.gpx"

del 40315.zip

:next3

if not exist 40940.zip goto next4

del 40940*.gpx

wzunzip 40940.zip

start 40940.gpx /wait

ren 40940.gpx "40940 - Found Caches.gpx"

del 40940.zip

:next4

if not exist 66973.zip goto end

del 66973*.gpx

wzunzip 66973.zip

start 66973.gpx /wait

ren 66973.gpx "66973 - Hawaii.gpx"

del 66973.zip

:end

Enjoy,

Cade

you can shorten this batch file to make adding a new gpx file a one line cut and paste.

call :process 69123 hawai

call :process 12345 example2

goto :eof

:process

if not exist %1.zip goto :eof

del %1*.gpx

wzunzip %1.zip

start %1.gpx /wait

ren %1.gpx "%1 - %2.gpx"

del %1.zip

goto :eof

Edited by DomHeknows

Regarding the GPSBabel / GSAK USB issue, I posted this on Sourceforge:

Since Babel doesn't (yet) support USB, I can DL

waypoints into GSAK from my 60CS using the serial cable

with no problems. When I try to upload waypoints from

GSAK 3.03 into the GPSr, I get the following error:

"Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE

GARMIN:Can't init COM3". The comm port and cable work

fine with the GPSr and other similar applications.

Got this back today:

Date: 2004-05-14 13:07

(This should have been sent to the mailing list as it isn't

a feature request.)

Other folks have reported success with the 60's.

Send to the gpsbabel-misc list the result of the precise

command you're issuing, but with a "-D9" added as the first

argument and include pertinent OS and GPSBabel version

information.

gpsbabel -D9 -i gpx -f blah.gpx -o garmin -F com1:

I'm going to mark this as closed and we can continue the

conversation on the lists...

Does anyone know how to translate it into laymen's terms? I see that it is to be run from a command prompt, but that's all that I can make from it... :D

TIA,

WolfTracker

Edited by WolfTracker