GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

The new version of GPSBabel doesn't seem to work right with my 60CS. No matter what I put in the Waypoint Description Format field, I end up with some garbage like '3W' or '3WA' in the description field of the 60CS. Whatever it puts there in any given transfer is the same for all caches.

I replaced the new GPSBabel with the version from GSAK 3.0 final and it seems to be working OK.

Ok, I need to get to the bottom of this. On the surface it would seem to be a GPSBabel problem, but the post by PDOP's states:

Same thing happens on my 76. GPSBabel Version 1.2.3_beta04092004 on its own puts the cache name in the waypoint comments field OK.

This does have me confused. I have looked at the output (babel.txt in the install folder of GSAK) generated by GSAK and all looks ok, so I still suspect the problem is with the new GPSBabel Beta.

George M - I just want to confirm that you are running GSAK 3.01 and fixed this by replacing your version of GPSBabel back to the version shipped in 3.00 final. That is, you did NOT reinstall and then run GSAK 3.00 final to see this fixed.

PDOP's - could you confirm that you actually sent waypoints to you Garmin 60c/s outside of GSAK using GPSBabel 1.2.3_beta04092004 and the comment field was correct. Could you also then try running the Babel.bat (in the install folder of GSAK) and see what results you get.

Anyone else having this problem could you let me know if it is fixed by changing your version of GPSBabel to a prior version? Simply installing GSAK version 3.00 Final is not a valid test, we need to change the version of GPSBabel (use Help=>about to confirm) in 3.01

George M - I just want to confirm that you are running GSAK 3.01 and fixed this by replacing your version of GPSBabel back to the version shipped in 3.00 final. That is, you did NOT reinstall and then run GSAK 3.00 final to see this fixed.

Yes, the only thing I need to change is the version of gpsbabel.exe in GSAK's program folder. GSAK 3.01 + GPSBabel 1.2.3_beta04092004 results in a bogus description. GSAK 3.01 + GPSBabel 1.2.2_beta02222004 works correctly.

I'm on standby for help if you need it, Clyde.

I'm sure I tested notes field upload on the V that I had borrowed. (I'm sure because I remember cursing how cumbersome the notes display was on the V.) I was using GPX input and going straight to the receiver and I wasn't doing it from GSAK, so it's not like we don't have differences in what we've exercised.

I'm on standby for help if you need it, Clyde.

I'm sure I tested notes field upload on the V that I had borrowed. (I'm sure because I remember cursing how cumbersome the notes display was on the V.) I was using GPX input and going straight to the receiver and I wasn't doing it from GSAK, so it's not like we don't have differences in what we've exercised.

GSAK uses the CSV format (with a style sheet) to send data to the GPS via GPSBabel - perhaps there is an issue here.

George M (or anyone else with a Garmin 60cs) - would you be able to try sending a GPX file with GPSBabel beta_04092004 directly to see if you still have the same problem.

Any other tests to narrow this problem down would also be helpful (perhaps just using one %tag at a time in GSAK).

Thanks

Clyde

Hand me a brown paper bag. I bozoed.

In order to fix this (I don't own a Garmin) I had to reproduce this. When this tempest started brewing, I thought I'd use the host mode simulator in GPilotS to let my Visor emulate a Garmin. Then I realized my Visor was on loan. I'll use my Prism in my serial cradle. The Prism wouldn't fit - it has a hobnob in the back so you don't try to charge the unit. I took my cradle to the garage and drilled and cut until it worked. It's heavy enough to maintain contact with the base and then I could proceed.

The result was two one line changes (one to cope with GPilotS, the other to handle input file formats that don't provide a difficulty and terrain which apparently includes the format that GSAK is handing me) plus a new GPSBabel beta. Follow the linky links from http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net and try jacking the new beta under GSAK to see if this returns joy to your lives.

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.p...lease_id=230440

This is the first GPSBabel fix that's required a vice, a drill, a packing knife, and a vise...

Hand me a brown paper bag.  I bozoed.

Life sure aint easy being a babel head..... Boy am I glad I took your advice and side stepped the whole comms stuff :rolleyes:

the other to handle input file formats that don't provide a difficulty and terrain which apparently includes the format that GSAK is handing me

As the description is built by the user using special tags, this is entirely possible. However, the default is to include the difficulty and terrain.

Just to recap if you are having this problem the fix (hopefully) is:

1. Download the latest windows version (Beta_04112004) of GBSBabel here

2. Unzip the contents to the install folder of GSAK - making sure you override the old version

3. Check you have the latest version of GPSBabel (Help=>About) showing 1.2.3_Beta04112004

Hand me a brown paper bag.  I bozoed.

Life sure aint easy being a babel head..... Boy am I glad I took your advice and side stepped the whole comms stuff :rolleyes:

Being me isn't fun all the time.
the other to handle input file formats that don't provide a difficulty and terrain which apparently includes the format that GSAK is handing me

As the description is built by the user using special tags, this is entirely possible. However, the default is to include the difficulty and terrain.

It might LOOK like a difficulty and terrain, but if they're glommed into a description field by the time you hand them to GPSBabel instead of being in a difficulty field and terrain field, GPSBabel didn't KNOW they're a difficulty and terrain. So that's why this worked in the "input from gpx, output to garmin" case - you're pre-glomming things together based on those %tag thingies and handing it to GPSBabel as a preassembled description. (And if nobody but Clyde understands that sentence, that's OK.)

Just to recap if you are having this problem the fix (hopefully) is:

There's another step. Confirm success so I will know I drilled and cut up my cradle for a good cause and so that Clyde can be thankful he didn't have to do it to his. :o
There's another step.    Confirm success so I will know I drilled and cut up my cradle for a good cause and so that Clyde can be thankful he didn't have to do it to his.

Yep, GPSBabel 1.2.3_beta04112004 works like a charm with GSAK 3.01 and my 60CS.

Thanks to both robertlipe and ClydeE for your help on this. Same day service on Easter Sunday, for free software! Much appreciated.

Thank you Gentlemen. That did the trick on my GPS V. I feel bad about the need to do a little "garage" programming on your cradle Robert. I'm sure we all would have made it through a day or two more without a fix.

Thanks again, Olar

Yes the hints are being transferred but now I've got some other wierdness. When I send to my GPS76 not all the waypoints are sent. In one case only 62 of 71 while in another only 68 of 78.

I'm not losing waypoints when using GPSTrackmaker so I don't think it's my setup. Can anyone else duplicate this problem.

Edit

I filtered out all but the 10 caches that were missing in the transfer. With the comment sent to %hint they won't transfer but they transfer OK with the comment set to %Name %By (%Dif/%Ter) :rolleyes::o

Edited by PDOP's
Yes the hints are being transferred but now I've got some other wierdness.  When I send to my GPS76 not all the waypoints are sent. In one case only 62 of 71 while in another only 68 of 78. 

Is this happening out side of GSAK as well? That is, can you duplicate the problem by using GPSBabel by itself?

If you are using smart names, make sure the %smat tag generates smart names the same length as the maximum for your GPS. For example, if your GPS only accepts 6 character waypoints, but you set %smart=8 then waypoints with the unique name "Waypoint1" and "Waypoint2" will both go down to your GPS as "Waypoi" - hence showing as 1 download instead of 2.

Edited to add paragraph about smart names

Edited by ClydeE

Edit

I filtered out all but the 10 caches that were missing in the transfer. With the comment sent to %hint they won't transfer but they transfer OK with the comment set to %Name %By (%Dif/%Ter) :rolleyes::o

Hmmm, this could be a size limitation or something. Try something like %hint=30 and see if that makes any difference.

Is this happening out side of GSAK as well? That is, can you duplicate the problem by using GPSBabel by itself?

Yes it happens in Babel but it's related to the %hint tag in the comments

I filtered out all but the 10 caches that were missing in the transfer. With the comment sent to %hint they won't transfer but they transfer OK with the comment set to %Name %By (%Dif/%Ter). If I export GPX files with the comments set to %hint then use Babel the caches won't transfer but if I export the GPX with the comments set to %Name %By (%Dif/%Ter) Babel can send them to my GPS. :rolleyes::o

In the miles column, are the actual miles from the cache supposed to show up? Mine is blank but will sort if I click on the miles heading.

The miles column will be blank until you set a centre point.

You can set a centre point to a cache, your home, a location, or a post code (Australia and USA only)

If I export GPX files with the comments set to %hint then use Babel the caches won't transfer but if I export the GPX with the comments set to %Name %By (%Dif/%Ter) Babel can send them to my GPS. :rolleyes::o

I've tracked and whacked this.

The common thread in the ten offending waypoints was rambling hints. "So you're a big loser looking for a hint, eh? Well, you should park by the big rock and take the path..."

If excessively long waypoint names or comments (over 51 chars) were sent to Garmins supporting D108 or D109 protocol (the more modern models...) GPSBabel wouldn't correctly shorten them before sending them to the hardware and was thus blowing it away. I've just made the change to chop these down before sending them along. It now handles the test case PDOP gave me.

Clyde,

Hope this hasn't been covered because I looked around pretty good for it.

Is there a way to load two different queries (hers and mine) so we can sort out her finds and mine so the only thing left is what neither one of us has done? I have a feeling it's a matter of ID# plus what is in the data for logs.

Thanks

Is there a way to load two different queries (hers and mine) so we can sort out her finds and mine so the only thing left is what neither one of us has done?

If I understand your request, this very example has been discussed (and I even got the GPSBabel syntax wrong :-)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=0entry781531

I can't pretend to have any idea how to do this from withing GSAK...

Is there a way to load two different queries (hers and mine) so we can sort out her finds and mine so the only thing left is what neither one of us has done?

If I understand your request, this very example has been discussed (and I even got the GPSBabel syntax wrong :-)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=0entry781531

I can't pretend to have any idea how to do this from withing GSAK...

Thanks Robert,

I'll go "under the hood" and see if that works. On second thought, with her query and mine there is all the data there for what we are looking for so it might just work.

Clyde,

Is there a way to load two different queries (hers and mine) so we can sort out her finds and mine so the only thing left is what neither one of us has done? I have a feeling it's a matter of ID# plus what is in the data for logs.

Thanks

This should be very simple providing the PQs you are loading are from your two separate accounts. If they are both from the same account this will not work.

1. Tools=>Options=> check the "manual update of cache found status" (this stops the not founds of one gpx overriding the founds of the next)

2. Load GPX file1

3. Load GPX file2

4. set a filter on "Not Found"

Clyde,

Is there a way to load two different queries (hers and mine) so we can sort out her finds and mine so the only thing left is what neither one of us has done?  I have a feeling it's a matter of ID# plus what is in the data for logs. 

Thanks

This should be very simple providing the PQs you are loading are from your two separate accounts. If they are both from the same account this will not work.

1. Tools=>Options=> check the "manual update of cache found status" (this stops the not founds of one gpx overriding the founds of the next)

2. Load GPX file1

3. Load GPX file2

4. set a filter on "Not Found"

Sounds good Clyde but what about the ID#? GSAK on my computer has my id. It won't know her query or will it? We both have Premium accounts so we both get our own queries...

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder
Sounds good Clyde but what about the ID#?  GSAK on my computer has my id.  It won't know her query or will it?  We both have Premium accounts so we both get our own queries...

You don't need to worry about the ID#

When you get a PQ from gc.com the GPX file indicates you have found a cache by "Geocache Found" in the <sym> entry.

GSAK uses this "Geocache Found" to indicate a found cache - so you there is no need for the ID#

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde you are the man, I think you should add resident psychic to you list of skills. I just got back from a vacation which involved caching. Prior to leaving I tried to upload and download to my MAG315 with no success. I noted to send you a queery as to why GSAK wouldn't support my unit, and I get back to find the solution waiting for me. I am going to buy some lottery tickets on Friday, any thoughts/numbers come to mind. Again, a thousand thanks to you, for your efforts.

Edited by MedicP1

GSAK has moved.

The inclusion of GSAK on the geocaching.com software section has certainly made GSAK more visible. Unfortunately Ideology (the company behind geocaching.com.au), who host my website for free, did object (and rightly so) to the bandwidth I was starting to gobble up (8gb last month and growing :lol: )

I take this opportunity to thank Ideology for their past efforts. I fully understand their position, and have thus made arrangements to remedy the situation.

I have now opened my own web hosting account (20gb limit) and domain for GSAK. The new GSAK site is http://gsak.net or if you prefer http://www.gsak.net will also work

There is now a redirection in place for the old http://gsak.geocaching.com.au but you will save yourself a bit of time if you update your favourites to the new address (Assuming of course, that GSAK is one of your favourites :lol: )

Cheers

Clyde

I just did a bunch opf pocket queries to update all my caches, my finds and every other cache. But when I opened them in GSAK it shows the all as mystery/puzzle caches with the "?". How can this be fixed?

It's also not showing any green or red square in the recent find/not find sqaure. But it is showing the correct colors under code for my finds, hides and archived caches

Edited by Firehouse16
I just did a bunch opf pocket queries to update all my caches, my finds and every other cache. But when I opened them in GSAK it shows the all as mystery/puzzle caches with the "?". How can this be fixed?

It's also not showing any green or red square in the recent find/not find sqaure. But it is showing the correct colors under code for my finds, hides and archived caches

This sounds very much like your PQ was in the LOC file format.

LOC files contain very limited information and you only get about 10% use out of GSAK with them. LOC files are the only format available to non members, but as a member you have a choice.

Change your PQ format to GPX and this will fix all of your above problems.

Me thinks another one to add to the FAQ :lol:

On the tail of this one, Clyde, might you want to add the option of associating .loc files with GSAK? This would let people who download loc files directly from Groundspeak (whether pocket queries or from the search pages) to download directly to GSAK.

I am under the impression now that one can only get a loc file into GSAK by openinging it from within GSAK, yes?

On the tail of this one, Clyde, might you want to add the option of associating .loc files with GSAK? This would let people who download loc files directly from Groundspeak (whether pocket queries or from the search pages) to download directly to GSAK.

I am under the impression now that one can only get a loc file into GSAK by openinging it from within GSAK, yes?

Correct.

Thanks, I will add this to the next release

Got a benchmark related question that came up with the referral of catcher24: when I started using GSAK for benchmarks, I did have to manually modify each of my records that I had either found or looked for but not found (the latter happens a lot with benchmarks).

It was a bit tedious getting started (I had about 75 records to modify). and I'm wondering if one could select a list of records, save them to a gpx file, do a global search-and-replace in a text editor for the relevant field value (e.g., found by me/date) and then re-import into a master list.

My question is this: GSAK will update "new" records, but how does it decide what is new. I.e., would I have to make some other change in the relevant records? Anything else you can see I might need to do?

Got a benchmark related question that came up with the referral of catcher24: when I started using GSAK for benchmarks, I did have to manually modify each of my records that I had either found or looked for but not found (the latter happens a lot with benchmarks). 

It was a bit tedious getting started (I had about 75 records to modify). and I'm wondering if one could select a list of records, save them to a gpx file, do a global search-and-replace in a text editor for the relevant field value (e.g., found by me/date) and then re-import into a master list.

My question is this: GSAK will update "new" records, but how does it decide what is new.  I.e., would I have to make some other change in the relevant records?  Anything else you can see I might need to do?

The definition of new relates to the date inside the GPX file.

Each GPX file has a date inside it to say when the data is generated. When you load a GPX file GSAK compares this date to the GSAK "Last Update" date. If this date is more current than the GSAK "Last update" date, then the data is considered newer.

Not all files have this date inside them (for example, LOC files and some non geocaching.com files). In these cases, GSAK uses the time stamp of the physical file to do this comparison.

Having said all that, and you are still confused, then just select the "always" option when loading a file. This will update the contents of the GPX/LOC file into the GSAK database regardless if the information is newer or not.

This is also explained in the help file which is now online. You can refer to this here, just click on the hot link for newer/always

Edited by ClydeE

Read a help file? I must have arrived at that dangerous zone where I understand GSAK well enough that if I don't know something I assume it's undocumented...should be good for a few gray hairs on your head :P

At any rate, that should greatly facilitate the startup for modifying a benchmark database in something like a batch mode. Chalk up another blade in GSAK!

New Question:

Anyone here using GSAK for keeping track of new caches you are making?

Right now, I use Mapopolis with my iPaq and sleeve, making it a very convenient package for caching. I go GPX->GSAK->GPX->Maplet. Mapopolis lets you save new locations in your maplets, but they have to be manually entered back into GSAK, and they get lost when you overwrite your maplet with new files from GSAK/GPXToMaplet.

I've been making a few new caches (the first is a multi-cache), and I enter the new cache with my own waypoint ID and then make up similar ones for the legs of the cache. I think it would be nice to either have multiple waypoints assigned to a single cache, or to be able to chain waypoints together - right now, I'm using UserData.

I was curious as to what other people are doing to make this easier? I know with a traditional GPS, you can use the Receive Waypoints feature, but I don't have a regular GPS.

Just received, for the 1st time when loading a GPX, a pop-up that said a previously archived cache was now available. I thought that was very useful. The only comment is that I had previously found the cache, and maybe if it was found, knowing that it was unarchived is probably not much interest.

Just a thought and certainly not a critical one. Terrific, excellent, outstanding program which has eliminated all the others I've previously used! If you setup a "donate" button, I'd certainly send some funds your way.

Just received, for the 1st time when loading a GPX, a pop-up that said a previously archived cache was now available. I thought that was very useful. The only comment is that I had previously found the cache, and maybe if it was found, knowing that it was unarchived is probably not much interest.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also note that if you find this feature annoying you can turn off this popup message via Tools=>Options

Some things here. each day I learn a bit more. Do you plan on making some of this more dummy proof? For example, when saving a file to MPS instead of having to use tags like %by or %smart=10, can you just make some drop down menues or "simple click" on options?

How about an option to select "new database" instead of "select database".

Something else I noticed is my "find" totals do not match GSAK (191/206), neither do my "hide" totals (65/67), any ideas why?

Is there any status on being able to use a serial connection with this IE: my Garmin 60CS, then I can bypass MPS completely!

That's it for now.

Edit: regarding new database, I meant a button instead of using the drop down menu.

Edited by Firehouse16

I don't know if this has come up yet... or I may just be reading it all wrong... when I go to USB send file to... it DLs all the waypoints off my 60cs... but when I goto recieve from USB it loads all my waypoint off GSAK...:D am I just reading what the command is or are they backewards... ??? :D

BTW thank you for an all in one program..;) I jsut started using it about a month ago with a legend and POOF Im hooked...:D

I don't know if this has come up yet... or I may just be reading it all wrong... when I go to USB send file to... it DLs all the waypoints off my 60cs... but when I goto recieve from USB it loads all my waypoint off GSAK...;) am I just reading what the command is or are they backewards... ??? :D

Wow, now you have got me confused :D

Are you sure you are using GSAK? Currently there is not such option as "USB send file"

Also, USB is currently not yet supported in GSAK. Perhaps you can clarify what is going on here please.

Some things here. each day I learn a bit more. Do you plan on making some of this more dummy proof? For example, when saving a file to MPS instead of having to use tags like %by or %smart=10, can you just make some drop down menues or "simple click" on options?

Sometimes making the program more "dummy proof" as you say can adversely effect the flow and usage for others. In this instance I am of the view that adding drop down boxes etc could actually complicate this section of GSAK and have the opposite effect and make this section more confusing. However, as GSAK is largely user driven, if enough users can convince me otherwise then I will review this stance.

How about an option to select "new database" instead of "select database".

Later down the track I will allow you to fully customise the Tool bar. At the momemt it is fixed, but there already is a tool button for "Select a database" which I see as the more common option used rather than the "New database". At the moment I really don't want to clog up the tool bar with seldom used buttons. Again, user feed back could change this.

Something else I noticed is my "find" totals do not match GSAK (191/206), neither do my "hide" totals (65/67), any ideas why?

The most common single reason for this are caches that have been archived. Currently geocaching.com do not provide a way to get archived caches in your GPX download. However, there are also quite a few other less obvious reasons as well. This issue was discussed in the old GSAK thread starting some where about here

Is there any status on being able to use a serial connection with this IE: my Garmin 60CS, then I can bypass MPS completely!

Serial connection to the Garmin 60CS is already available and working. I suspect you really mean USB connection - still waiting for someone to "step up to the plate" Perhaps you?. Please see the posts here here and here

Edited by ClydeE

First off thanks for the great program. Now with all of the techie stuff flying around I thought I would ask you guys an easy one. Do I have to remove my old version of cachemate before I install 3.1 or do I just download the newest version and it will just update what it needs? See told you it would be easy. :D

First off thanks for the great program. Now with all of the techie stuff flying around I thought I would ask you guys an easy one. Do I have to remove my old version of cachemate before I install 3.1 or do I just download the newest version and it will just update what it needs? See told you it would be easy. :D

All upward versions of GSAK can just be installed on top of the previous (and most downard will work but not all)

With regard to CacheMate there is no need to uninstall. GSAK generates the CacheMate export by using the command line version of CmConvert which is included with the installation of GSAK. This command line version is installed in its own sub folder within GSAK and is completely independant of any other CacheMate or CmConvert software you may have installed.

I got thrown off by that one some time back. The numbers in GSAK will never match when a find has been archived. As for the planted numbers, do you have a find on one of them? Or it's been archived? That will throw it off too......

Kind of what Clyde said.

I balanced my find count by going to the found archived cache page and downloading the individual .gpx for each one into my GSAK database.

The other thing that can throw your count off is any caches that have had major alterations and the owner has invited previous finders to once again go and find it and log it again. You could then duplicate and edit the entrie's name slightly so it would remain in your GSAK database as a find under that "fictious" name.

Cheers, Olar

Clyde, I have a requested feature for the next version of your glorious program, that I have not figured out how to do a short way.

I presently have to right click the 'said cache', make it centre point, wait for GSAK to reorganize the database, then pull down the 'centrepoint menu', select 'Show current on Mapquest'.

Is it possible to set up one of the pulldown menus to one click "show currently selected cache on Mapquest" similar to the way you can with the 'centre point' or even right click the cache and select 'Show cache on Mapquest'.

This could be the corkscrew of GSAK.

Clyde, I have a requested feature for the next version of your glorious program, that I have not figured out how to do a short way.

I presently have to right click the 'said cache', make it centre point, wait for GSAK to reorganize the database, then pull down the 'centrepoint menu', select 'Show current on Mapquest'.

Is it possible to set up one of the pulldown menus to one click "show currently selected cache on Mapquest" similar to the way you can with the 'centre point' or even right click the cache and select 'Show cache on Mapquest'.

This could be the corkscrew of GSAK.

This feature is already available. There is no need to muck around with centre points.

Right mouse click and select custom URL. Mapquest is the second entry on the default list shipped with GSAK. However, please note that you can fully customise this list (via Tools=>Options=>HTML). You can re-create this list in any order, Delete entries, or add your own custom URLs

I think I've just discovered a minor problem with find counts.

GSAK will not count any cache that one owns as a find. Normally this would be correct, after all, how can one find their own cache?

However there are times when one might legitimatly want to log their own cache as a find, IE Cache Events or CITO Events.

I think I've just discovered a minor problem with find counts.

GSAK will not count any cache that one owns as a find. Normally this would be correct, after all, how can one find their own cache?

However there are times when one might legitimatly want to log their own cache as a find, IE Cache Events or CITO Events.

Thanks

Yes, currently GSAK treats found and placed as mutually exclusive.

I will change this logic in the next release so it just looks at the found flag to determine the found count (regardless if placed or otherwise).

Normally this would be correct, after all, how can one find their own cache?

Another place that found/own is legitimate is when you adopt a cache.

I found a cache about a year ago. Since that time the owner is not involved in caching, so I adopted the cache.

Gary