New "edit Details" Page

Jeremy

In our continuing effort to get the entire site converted to Asp.net, we have updated the "edit details" page. You can get to it from the "my cache page" link, as before.

Some of the changes:

1. The upload features of the web site use the same upload code as the geocache and travel bug sections. It will convert gifs, tiffs, etc to jpg and resize them for you. Selecting an avatar image or photo is now much easier.

2. We added timezone, meters/miles, and Instant Messenger as part of the profile.

3. HTML in your descriptions are now autocorrected when you submit your page. I'm using HTMLTidy to do this.

4. You are no longer logged into the asp sections of the site. This means that the old "my cache page" won't work any more, so the link has been removed.

The only pages left to move over are the front page of the web site, the "recent logs" page, and the new account creation page. If things go well these pages should be completed next week.

I happened to be editing my profile at the time the change took effect; went back to make one more change and thought something looked a little different....

I am now getting an error about my homepage URL. The error text states that it must begin with "http://", which it does. Maybe it's because it has the ~ character in it?

Edited by DavidMac
Maybe I'm missing something, what what does clicking on the "View Details" link do by each graphic on the avatar page?

It changes the focus to that image, where you can click "select avatar" to change your photo.

Also, many of them don't actually show an image. Would those be the non-jpeg graphics?

Yes. That is correct.

Maybe I'm missing something, what what does clicking on the "View Details" link do by each graphic on the avatar page?

It changes the focus to that image, where you can click "select avatar" to change your photo.

Also, many of them don't actually show an image. Would those be the non-jpeg graphics?

Yes. That is correct.

If we can only use jpegs as avatars, can the unusable gifs be filtered out from that page? Or perhaps throw in a "convert to jpeg" button?

Just curious about something else- where will the IM be displayed? It hasn't shown up on my profile, but maybe it's available through the email a player link or somewhere else? I tried to access the email page from my profile and got a laugh out of the message that came up: "You can't send an email to yourself!"

Just curious about something else- where will the IM be displayed?

You need to check:

Show my Instant Messenger address in my profile

Click on my name on this post and it will take you to my profile. I have my old ICQ number on there for testing.

Just curious about something else- where will the IM be displayed? It hasn't shown up on my profile, but maybe it's available through the email a player link or somewhere else? I tried to access the email page from my profile and got a laugh out of the message that came up: "You can't send an email to yourself!"

Click on the stat button on your profile page to bring up the page that you used to click the "View my profile as others see me" link to get to. The IM address shows up there.

Edited for atrocious grammar... :D

Edited by The Cheeseheads
Just curious about something else- where will the IM be displayed?

You need to check:

Show my Instant Messenger address in my profile

Click on my name on this post and it will take you to my profile. I have my old ICQ number on there for testing.

Ah, I see... I was forgetting to select IM type from the pulldown menu. Shows up fine now.

Just uploaded an avatar. It seems to be working on my end.

It worked for me as well. I selected a GIF image on the avatar page and it seemed to be fine with that, but no avatar shows up for me now. Can the page just filter those out completely since they can't be used?

Also, for the IM selection, can you show some love for the Mac users out there and add iChat to the list of options?

I selected a GIF image on the avatar page and it seemed to be fine with that, but no avatar shows up for me now. Can the page just filter those out completely since they can't be used?

You'd need to re-register with the forums every time you change the avatar image. The link is on that page.

Yes, I should filter out those images. I do know that some people have used the uploads feature in the past to, say, post images in the forums, but there is no reason why they should be listed on the "choose an avatar" or photo page.

Also, for the IM selection, can you show some love for the Mac users out there and add iChat to the list of options?

Sure. I never heard of iChat. I'll investigate how it is used and turn it on as an option.

Sure. I never heard of iChat. I'll investigate how it is used and turn it on as an option.

It uses AIM screennames primarily, but has a few other options such as local network messaging and A/V chat. I think it also allows for .Mac users to use their ID for messaging too, but I don't have one myself so I wouldn't know. In fact, I can use the same screenname/password in AIM or iChat, I just prefer to use the program with no ads :D . It would be nice to have a way for us mac users to set ourselves apart.

Edited by DavidMac
I selected a GIF image on the avatar page and it seemed to be fine with that, but no avatar shows up for me now. Can the page just filter those out completely since they can't be used?

You'd need to re-register with the forums every time you change the avatar image. The link is on that page.

Did that. I was successful with a jpeg, but when I tried it with a GIF, no avatar showed up at all.

It's Apple's IM program. You can get your own address through Apple, and it interfaces with AIM. Perhaps just change AIM to AIM/iChat?

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking. It's little refinements like this that make the site a gem to use! Thanks again for all your hard work!

<<SNIP>>

Yes. That is correct.

All of the photos I've uploaded are .JPG's. Only a few are showing up as thumbnails.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'll keep foolin' with it.

I cannot change any profile info, I can change my password, log into the site and forum, but when I try to edit my profile, it indicates I need to enter a valid password. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, also is the validate account still around somewhere?

Read the top. You must enter your password again to make any changes to your account.

Yes, you can validate your account via the link sent to you in the validation email, through the link from the "my cache page", or directly at http://www.geocaching.com/v

You only need to revalidate if your email address changes.

I cannot change any profile info, I can change my password, log into the site and forum, but when I try to edit my profile, it indicates I need to enter a valid password.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong, also is the validate account still around somewhere?

Read the top. You must enter your password again to make any changes to your account.

Yes, you can validate your account via the link sent to you in the validation email, through the link from the "my cache page", or directly at http://www.geocaching.com/v

I have entered my password, then I changed it, logged out, logged back in, entered my password and received the same message. Will shut down IE and try again.

I cannot change any profile info, I can change my password, log into the site and forum, but when I try to edit my profile, it indicates I need to enter a valid password.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong, also is the validate account still around somewhere?

Logged out, cleared cookies, shut down IE, logged back in ok, went to Edit Account Details, entered my password, made 1 other change, clicked submit and received the following message

You must enter a valid password for this account to make changes.

Could the & in my user name be the problem, I did have a mixture of case (upper and lower case letters) in my password, I made it all one case and still cannot edit my profile. I will attempt to edit when I get home with Netscape.

Edited by Car37&Shnde

The "latest news" section which I had entered as:

line 1

line 2

line 3

now displays as: line 1 line 2 line 3

even though it still appears as entered when I go to edit my profile.

Is this how you expect it to work? If so, what do we need to enter to get a display of:

line 1

line 2

line 3

?

I tried to edit my profile, and have gotten this error about 10 times so far:

Cannot create a row of size 10310 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060. The statement has been terminated.

I've tried messing with the number of characters in each "row", but don't really know what a "row" is. Does that mean paragraph? The whole profile? I broke my profile up, and posted part of it into each available section, but that doesn't help either.

It means you have too much text in one of your fields. I'll add additional error checking in each field so you'll know which one it is talking about.

Editing your details and unchecking the html link should re-add breakpoints for your lines. If not, try using html and add this:

<br />

to the end of each line.

The "latest news" section which I had entered as:

line 1

line 2

line 3

now displays as: line 1 line 2 line 3

even though it still appears as entered when I go to edit my profile.

Is this how you expect it to work? If so, what do we need to enter to get a display of:

line 1

line 2

line 3

?

Use <br> after the line

so its:-

line one <br> line two <br>

OK, let me add more details which might impact the analysis.

When I first go to "edit" my Profile, just to test it out, and even though I have made NO changes, I get this error:

String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

This indicates that perhaps the maximum allowed characters have been reduced - because I never received any errors until today.

OK, after trying to reduce the number of characters, and break the profile up from being just "Biography" into three pieces, I get the message first described above. The thing is, the whole profile is written in HTML, and used line breaks (<br>) throughout. Most of the thing are just short words inserted into tables, so there's not really long paragraphs of information strung together.

If the error message were more specific, it would help me ID the problem- because I've been tinkering and just can't find it.

HTMLTidy is what I'm using to reformat html that is sent by a user. Because HTMLTidy autocorrects html, it will do things like add paragraph end tags and add spacings like carriage returns. What is probably happening is the additional spacing is getting over the high limit for the different sections.

Wow, I returned in time for a change! I was able to use hte new page fine but the results are different.

1) After my info, which all displays correctly, there is now an appended ">". Since I didn't change my HTML I was surprised, and lo and behold, it's not in mine!

2) Now "Biography:" and "Hobbies:" show up despite those fields being empty of data!?!!

With the old version they didn't appear when "empty" and I simulated them. Now they appear duplicated... (See my profile for example obviously...)

Not bugs per se, but a change of function I figured I'd flag. (Wait, the first item's a bug--perhaps in HTMLTidy?)

Just FYI,

Randy

PS: I've never been able to upload to GC.com--after the file uploads I get a "incorrect file type" or similar error message--proceed to copy it to a floppy, drive to the library, and upload the exact same file from there successfully. As such, I obviously rarely upload anything to this site... (It's unaffected even if I spoof as MSIE and/or enable Java.)

Yes, I should filter out those images. I do know that some people have used the uploads feature in the past to, say, post images in the forums, but there is no reason why they should be listed on the "choose an avatar" or photo page.

Would it be possible to have a separate page for these types of photos? I use that feature quite a bit, and was used to doing it the old way. I tried posting a pic a while ago (before I found this thread) and it took me about 45 minutes to figure out how to get the pic uploaded, then open just the pic so that I could copy the URL....or is there already a quicker way to do this?

Am I right that their's now no way to upload GIF images for use on our cache pages? Turning them into JPEGs causes them to lose their transparent background, and, since JPEG is intended strictly for photographic and photo-realistic images, not limited-color graphics, we end up with funky JPEG artifacts in the images.

And if not GIF, how about PNG? Virtually all browsers support it now.

I've noticed that the earliest images I have uploaded to the site are not visible on the selection page. The first one available is numbered "(user ID)_1000.jpg", but they should go all the way back to "(user ID)_200.jpg" (this is the earliest uploaded, 100 is skipped). However, when I log in under our club's account, which only has 2 images uploaded (numbered 200 and 300), both show up on the selection page no problem.

I also want to second the request for GIF support. I can understand converting TIFF or other uncompressed formats, but there are many times when a GIF is more appropriate than a JPEG, say certain graphics on cache pages. Maybe GIF files could be allowed if they are within a certain size or dimension?

Like the Cheeseheads, I hope I don't sound like I keep focusing on the negative. Overall the changes are great- keep up the good work ;) !

edited for my wonderful spelling...

Edited by DavidMac

I applaud this move, in particular and hope to see it on the cache pages themselves as they suffer from similar issues.

Thanx!

I was tempted to do it with this last release, but it would effectively strip the background images since adding extra body tags is definitely a no no. Until I can add that as a field on the edit page for caches I can't implement it.

I also want to second the request for GIF support.

Once we complete the changes so the image server has its own machine, We'll look into supporting other file types. Currently we're more concerned with making sure the site can continue to keep up with the traffic, which isn't glamorous, but it is necessary.

I like PNG format very much because it is lossless, it supports everything from binary to true color, usually compresses better than GIF, and doesn't suffer from any patent problems. (Although the LZW patent is now expired in the U.S.) PNG would really cut down on traffic in terms of those stat-bar images. The JPEGs that this site serves are about 13KiB, while the PNGs that KeenPeople serves are about 1KiB.