Rino Questions

I'm looking at getting a couple of RINOs. I will probably get a 120 for myself to start and try it out. Then, I would get more for the rest of the family. Probably at least one 130.

Some Q's:

Will I still be able to do use the Position Reporting feature between different units? I would like to assume that I could, but I've found that assuming gets me into trouble some times.

How has your experience been using the Rino to report positioning among a group?

How does the FRS range compare with the Talkabout type radios?

Thanks

Radio-wise these units do work well with TalkAbouts and other FRS radios. Main problem is that due to the Rino being waterproof, there is a membrane covering the microphone. That means that your voice becomes muted or garbled when heard by someone else. It's not to an "unuseable" extent -- but it is not as clear as other FRS radios are.

I have a Rino120 and love it. Unfortunately I don't have friends/family with other units so I have yet to see anybody else show up on my screen using the P-to-P positioning. But the rest of the unit I know works great.

Forgot to add: Nice to see Rinos back in the forums!!!

Edited by OuttaHand

TresOkies,

I have both a Rino 130 and a 120, both are completely compatible as far as trading info between them, sending location data, accessories, features,

Except:

130 has 24 megs of memory instead of 8

130 can send silent text msgs to other 130's(only other 130's, not 120's or 110's)

130 has weather alert, weather channels, electronic compass and barometer.

The memory is nice, I have the state of Washington MapSource Metroguide loaded. I could also do a major portion of the state in Topographical if I wanted, but find that the metroguide is working better for me.

I'd highly recommend them!

OddTodd-K7PKT

* edit, spelling

Edited by Cadence

I my self have used the positioning feature, while skiing. Its pretty cool, but unless you really need the positioning feature for what you wish to do with it, I would spend the extra money to get a 60c or different unit.

The Rino's screen is much to small for Car Navigation, but does have a beautiful square screen.

I actually made a Rino review with pictures of my own before I sold it for the 60cs, here is the link.

www.geocities.com/etrexrose/GPS

Hope it helps ya.

Thanks for the great information. I forgot to add a few salient facts...

1) I already own an eMap, eTrex Vista, and StreetPilot III, as well as MetroGuide and TOPOUSA. Needless to say, I also have cords, brackets, etc.

2) I have several talkabouts, including the one with the weather band. I can't say I've used the weather band much, but I like the fact that it's there.

I don't need the Rino for auto navigation or even regional navigation. It's mostly so my wife and I can keep track of each other/the kids, while we are out tromping in the woods. So, the 120's memory would probably be sufficient, although I like the thought that one of us would have the 130 with the weather band stuff. This isn't going to be my "one and only" GPS, it's just another one that has features that suit my needs.

Any chance that the 120 or 130 are USB? I don't see it mentioned in the Garmin specs, but I suffer from an advanced case of refrigerator blindness (I miss things in plain sight, like the milk). I'm guessing it's not USB, but I thought I'd ask. I have the eTrex Vista and filling it with 24MB of maps over a serial cable is downright painful some days.

-E

The Rinos are awsome. There are a few things though....

I wish it was 2 watt GMRS, it's only 1 watt and it does not communicate very far in the woods. Maybe a mile or so. If you revert back to the first 2 software versions, it will allow you to send your position every 10 seconds instead of the FCC mandated 30 seconds. Of course I would not condone something like that.... :P:P:D:P;)

Edited by FlashMaster
I've pretty much decided on getting a pair of 120s to start and probably a 130 later this summer.

If I have rechargable batteries in it and it's connected to the car adapter, will it charge the batteries in place?

Thanks

I have the 120 and the same accessories. The car adapter is not a charger. The Rino uses the car's power until you unplug it, then the batteries take over.

OK, I bought a pair of Rino 120's yesterday. Shhh, don't tell my wife--one is for her for Mother's day (I'll wrap it in diamonds). :P

I've read the manuals (really) and gone through all the Setup screens and I can't figure out where to change this. One of the Rino's has black text on a light green background. The other has purple text on a gold background. Neither is particularly difficult to read, but since they are different, I assume there is a place to change this setting.

Both units are running firmware 3.4.

Thanks

-E

I've read the manuals (really) and gone through all the Setup screens and I can't figure out where to change this. One of the Rino's has black text on a light green background. The other has purple text on a gold background. Neither is particularly difficult to read, but since they are different, I assume there is a place to change this setting.

They aren't color screens, unless you lucked out and got a very advanced model over the rest of them :P Sounds like the display panels are just slightly different between the two units for some reason.

They aren't color screens, unless you lucked out and got a very advanced model over the rest of them :P Sounds like the display panels are just slightly different between the two units for some reason.

I wouldn't call it "color" so much as a "distinctly different shade of monochrome". The text is most definitely purple on gold. I tried to snap a photo down here in my secret basement laboratory but they didn't come out. I'll wait for my wife to leave for church in the a.m. and I'll try to get a more noticable shot of the differences.

-E

Almost looks like the one on the right has the backlight on.

That's what I thought at first, but the backlight is not on. That photo was taken at noon, outdoors, on a sunny day so backlight wouldn't even show up. I've got an email into Garmin support. We'll see.

-E

The Rino on the right looks more like the Rino 130 screen, less green than the 120.

Different manufacturing locations? Change of lots between?

It isn't unreadable is it? Personally I preferred the greener color. It was easier on the eyes at night.

OddTodd