Request New Feature: Queries Based On Travel Path

Sanruft

I have a request...I would LOVE to be able to do a search along a particular route or highway, rather than in a circular direction. (For example: Do a 2 mile search on both sides of a particular highway or road, from point (a) to point (:bad:.) It would be very handy for traveling with the family, business trips, etc...Even better would be able to do a Pocket Query using this feature so we could plan our trips around some caching.

Not sure if it can be done, but it sure would be a cool feature!!

I think that would be great as I'm trying to plan for a trip and it's not looking particularly easy. I think between two points with a x-mile corridor would be pretty easy but not sure following certain roads would be.

This can be acheived in GSAK - you can enter points that describe a line, polygon, or arc, then filter caches x miles from that line.

GSAK accepts PQs, and outputs to your GPS or PDA.

WOW!! Ok, now that I know that it CAN be done...What (and where) is GSAK?

(I will be doing a search for it now)

This is GREAT news! Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Sanruft
This can be acheived in GSAK - you can enter points that describe a line, polygon, or arc, then filter caches x miles from that line.

Filtering this way in GPSBabel (with or without GSAK) is great but it would be much better if the pocket queries could be configured this way. It would eliminate having to do multiple queries to get the few caches that you're interested in along a route.

Jeremy has mentioned that he will look at adding this when time permits in this topic.

My guideline is "barely overlapping", using the duplicate filter withing GPSBabel to suppress the dupes. Be reasonable in what you select in your travels. If you're doing a 2000 mile trek with a car full of kids, leave out the difficulty 4.5 multi's that are 80 miles out of the way. Take the PQ's before they're merged, plunk them in software (I use S&T for this) but set different pushipin traits for each PQ; this allows you to easily see if they do overlap as you want, your circles are turning into eggs from being sucked into the gravity of a nearby city, etc. Once you have the PQ's covering the area you want, then feed them throught he arc filter in GPSBabel (either directly or via GSAK) and work from there.

We really should pin this thread as it's probably the most comprehensive discussion on this recurring question: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=68615

Are there any suggestions for pocket query settings when setting up multiple queries to feed GSAK/GPSBabel for an arc/line filter? I'm wondering what I should set my pq radius distances to.

It involves a lot of trial and error. Try increasing the radius in increments checking each time that the results are under 500 caches so you know you haven't missed any. You can also do queries by state and subdevide by cache type if the results are 500 or more.