Custom Avatars

Get a decent image editing program and start playing around with it. I use PaintShop Pro, but Microsoft Paint probably would do a decent job (someone else who's used it can correct me).

I always go ahead and size mine down to 75 pixels wide so I know what it'll look like...more or less.

Have fun!

Bret

...I want to use the geocaching logo, maybe modify it...

Bret's advice is sound. But be careful using the Groundspeak logo (even modified). I know lot's of others are doing that, but Groundspeak is very cautious about how their logo is used. I'm not exactly sure what criteria they use.

Get a decent image editing program and start playing around with it. I use PaintShop Pro, but Microsoft Paint probably would do a decent job (someone else who's used it can correct me).

I always go ahead and size mine down to 75 pixels wide so I know what it'll look like...more or less.

Have fun!

Bret

Nah, it wouldn't. PSP is the only graphics program worth the name.

YEAH! PSP RUULZ!

I think you have to do a screen capture, open up the screenshot in a paint program and crop it down to just the picture you want.

Or just hit the "Print Screen" (Prt Sc) button on your keyboard and then paste it into an image editing program.

I suppose it should be said that you want to start large and then shrink the avatar to the size you need it, rather than making it small from the get-go. You'll get a better image that way.

Bret

I think you have to do a screen capture, open up the screenshot in a paint program and crop it down to just the picture you want.

Or just hit the "Print Screen" (Prt Sc) button on your keyboard and then paste it into an image editing program.

I suppose it should be said that you want to start large and then shrink the avatar to the size you need it, rather than making it small from the get-go. You'll get a better image that way.

Bret

That's assuming you're a Windows user, of course...

Command-shift-3 will also do this, and command-shift-4 will let you grab a rectangular portion of the screen.

Add the control key to both of those and the screen capture will go to the clipboard rather than a new PICT file.

Bret

That's assuming you're a Windows user, of course...

Command-shift-3 will also do this, and command-shift-4 will let you grab a rectangular portion of the screen.

Add the control key to both of those and the screen capture will go to the clipboard rather than a new PICT file.

Well, I have it as a .gif file, but thats as far as I can get

Well, I have it as a .gif file, but thats as far as I can get

All you need now is some sort of image editing program (which you can get for free on the web) that will let you open it up and crop the excess away to just the part you want, and also to let you resize the picture to 75 pixels wide, which is the size limit for avatars. GC.com will automagically resize the picture, but it will look better if you do it yourself ahead of time.

Custom Dell XPS 3.20 GHz Intel Pentium 4............. $2200.00

Corel Photo-Paint 9............................................... $600.00

Missing work for 3 days..........................................$450.00

Two Pots of Coffee and Three Packs of Cigarettes.....$16.00

Having the BEST custom avatar..............................Priceless

Isn't life grand!

Adam :D

I could not get a big one. The only picture I found of Kyle was a .gif and was not very big. Also the logo looked bad on the hat. The greens ran together so I just put it on the shirt. But it is all sized for an Avatar (75 pixels wide).

TG.jpg

Adam :D

PS - Right click and select Save As.... to save it yourself

OK.... Who's next?

Adam

I DO like the AV8R avatar - very clever!

How bout Spongebob with a 60CS!?

Or anything Star Trek w a 60CS! :D

I've seen a post card on this forum with Spock holding up the "live long and prosper" Vulcun sign - maybe he can hold a 60CS instead!!

Thanks,

Pat

(I can really make my own, but if you're bored...? :-)

I've seen several avatars that look like South Park characters. How do you make those?

Try here...

I used IRfanview to capture the screen then crop and resize the image to make mine from the southpark site on comedycentral.com

If you want to do anything to the cartoon other than crop it, you need to save a version as a .bmp file and then open it in paint. In paint, do whatever drawing you were planning. When you are happy with it, save it as a .jpg file and load it up.