Easy Gps....

Nick_T

If your still loading your caches and benchmarks by hand, your really missing out! Just loaded 119 benchmarks to my Legend in about 3 minutes, timed from the point I opened the local page to loaded in my GPS. Don't be scared to give it a try if your not a computer wizz. First, download easygps, then create a new file on your desktop, I labeled mine "caches". Then go to your local page and and check the caches you want in your unit, then hit the download button. Your puter will ask ya what ya want to do with the download, just save it to your new folder. Then hook up your GPS to your puter, open the new folder , and click on the file ya want to upload. It'll open in easygps. then hit the button to upload to your unit and your done.

See it's really that simple!

Nick T

Just loaded 119 benchmarks to my Legend in about 3 minutes

Well I downloaded 500 waypoints (pocket query) to my GPS MMC chip using ExpertGPS, it took about 2 minutes.. ;)

lol OK it's not a completition ;) I tried first using EasyGPS, but it won't communiate to a USB reader, only to GPS unit itself, and thats a lot slower..

Now go see how quick it takes you to find those 119 benchmarks! :bad:

Now go see how quick it takes you to find those 119 benchmarks!

Sad thing is that all 119 of'em are within a 6 mile radius of my home and I never knew most of'em were there. Went out this evening and found 2 of'em with my kid, but it's kinda hard to miss a watertower, hehehehehe. Now onto the beatin the bushes.

Nick T

Well I downloaded 500 waypoints (pocket query) to my GPS MMC chip using ExpertGPS, it took about 2 minutes..  :D

Transferring 500 waypoints to my 60C takes less than three seconds. :D

OK so it took me 1.9 minutes to transfer the MMC chip from-and-back-to the GPSr & reader,, :P But I'd think our transfer rates are pretty similar after that.

This I was just comparing to the many GPSr's that have a serial cable connection & that can be veeerrryyyy sloooooowww sleep.gif

Do you use a serial cable to download to your 60C? I thought that neither EasyGPS nor GSAK support USB. I just got a 60C and I'm trying to figure out how I can download waypoints to it.

Ahhh! Perfect! Thanks for the tip. Now I have to decide if I want to be able to tell the differences in types.

Does anyone know if there's a way to upload self created icons to a Garmin eTrex Vista? I'd rather have the symbols that are on the website (or as close to it as I can get) instead of the default icons from Spinner.

Do you use a serial cable to download to your 60C? I thought that neither EasyGPS nor GSAK support USB. I just got a 60C and I'm trying to figure out how I can download waypoints to it.

Please refer to Item 3 of the GSAK FAQ here

I am pretty much computer slow.  Is it posible to download cache coordinates into mapsource?  I like to enter them in mapsource and then download to GPS.  I have been entering by hand into mapsource, but if you can download into that program, boy would that be a time saver!

There are multiple ways of accomplishing this with 3rd party applications. Some of the excellent programs available have been around geocaching for some time and others are fairly new. The latest waypoint management tool is GSAK which I would highly recommend you start with. You download your cache waypoints and create various database files by utilizing numerous tools allowing you to sort, filter, edit and in your case, export to programs like Mapsource etc. You can even eliminate that step as you can upload waypoints directly to your GPSr from GSAK.

Cheers, Olar

Edited by Olar
I am pretty much computer slow.  Is it posible to download cache coordinates into mapsource?  I like to enter them in mapsource and then download to GPS.  I have been entering by hand into mapsource, but if you can download into that program, boy would that be a time saver!

GSAK is a great way of doing it. However, before that I would open Mapsource and the geocaching page on the web. After reading the page, if I was interested in seeking that cache, I would create a waypoint in Mapsource using the waypoint tool. Do not close it. Then I would copy and paste the GCxxxx code, coordiates, name and set the geocaching icon into that Mapsource waypoint box. Then save it. After doing that for a number of caches, I would transfer all the points from Mapsource to my GPSr.

While reading the cache page, I would also create secondary waypoints the same way for parking, trail heads, etc that might have been indicated on the web cache page.

One trick is to Maximize only the Mapsource and Web page. Then right click on the tool bar and click Tile Windows Vertically. Then both pages would show on the screen and you can move the aforementioned info back and forth pretty easily.

Good luck

Alan

edit spelling

Edited by Alan2
Is it possible to download waypoints with EasyGPS onto a basic Garmin eTrex? If so, what do I need to do that, cablewise?

Yes it's possible. You need a Garmin serial cable. You can buy one or you can buy the parts and make your own. If you want to buy, check PC-Mobile. They have all sorts of cables, and quick service. If you want to make your own, get a Garmin eplug from pfranc.com, a female db9 serial connector from Radio Shack or other electronics store, and a 3-conductor cable from anywhere. Some basic soldering and assembly skills required.

EasyGPS will certainly work, but I recommend GSAK because it does much more, for the same low, low price of $0.00.