Burned Retinas

The after effects of locationless cache hunting are taking their toll on me. I see yellow jeeps EVERYWHERE I go.

YELLOW JEEPS ARE THE FLEAS THAT INFEST THE ARMPIT OF THE UNIVERSE!!! (The pit is my pet name for Houston.)

I looked for a yellow jeep for weeks and weeks. Then, one day, one appears in the parking lot at work. I was overjoyed. My coworkers thought I was a doof for being so excited about it. The next week another appears. I posted a thread on texasgeocaching.com about it.

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WENT TWO DAYS IN A ROW AND DIDN'T SEE A FREEEKIN YELLOW JEEP. I CAN'T STOP NOTICING THEM EVERYWHERE I GO! AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

But its NOT just jeeps! It's turtles too! I haven't even logged my turtle rescues and I've done 5 now! (Trouble loading .jpg) Those are just the ones I had time for.... Now I feel guilty when I don't have time to help a turtle across the road.

Has anyone else had an experience like mine where you stopped looking and you can't stop finding what you had previously saught???

BTW- My new obsession is benchmarking radio towers, landmarks, and water towers. I also drive real slow under bridges looking for virticle disks.

My coworkers think geocaching has taken my carefully cultivated weirdness and turned me into a fullblown WEIRDO!

Is it just me????

Sn :bad:;) gans

Edited by Snoogans

This is slightly off topic but it refers to the topic at hand. Especially the post above me.

There's some kind of weird psychological effect, that once you experience something you're more likely to notice something.

Like any car, I can't really tell it from the rest, nor do I care, but after I ride in it, or someone in my family buys it, you see it very often, not because there are more, not because you're even looking for them specifically, it's just they sort of stick out.

It's also sort of like geocaches, when you went on your first cache hunt, you had no idea where the cache was but after a few finds, you notice a pattern and you know where they are and how they're hidden and they just sort of pop out of nowhere.

I don't really know how to explain myself better...

My coworkers think geocaching has taken my carefully cultivated weirdness and turned me into a fullblown WEIRDO!

Is it just me????

Sn :bad:;) gans

I think it's you, but then again, your co-workers could be right too.

I could bag the turtle one with ease. All I would have to do is grab a turtle from my back yard and put him in the front yard and wait an hour or so. One of them would eventually walk into the street.

I never paid attention to yellow Jeeps until last November. I knew about the locationless, but never really thought about looking for one. Then a caching friend told me about his exploits trying to find a yellow Jeep, and have his camera and GPS on hand at the same time. Within days I was seeing yellow Jeeps everywhere I went, and I do mean everywhere. Now I often see at least 2 or 3 a day, sometimes more. I think the only way that I'd be able to not see at least one daily would be to sit at home with all the blinds and curtains pulled shut. I'd probably still see them on TV or something though...

And on a related note to other things mentioned in this thread, at some point during the early 90s, my mom bought a Buick Century - a pretty run-of-the-mill sedan. No one in the family could recall ever really seeing one on the roads, so we thought it was pretty unique. It took all of about a week before we we'd see dozens every day. :D

I have to agree with all of that. A year and a half ago, I bought a Chrysler Cirrus. I thought it was a semi-unique nice car to drive around (for my budget anyway...). On the ride home I must have seen two or three of them -- they pop right out at me now. Just last week my wife came across a good bargain on one. We now have two sitting in the driveway. Funny how some things go, huh?

BTW, Snoogans, I miss that armpit of the universe you call Houston. I lived there for many years till I joined the service. Now I'm in OKC. (Not too far from home I guess.) Maybe I'll run into you down there sometime...?

I'll admit that Houston is not the Jewel of the Lone Star State, but after being transplanted to the midwest from Dallas (on the smelly end of winter no less) it sounds like Heaven. Oh well, grass is always greener.....

On topic. Yellow jeeps everywhere. I think we were Yellow Jeep 996 or so, just a few shy of the 1000 milestone. Since then they are everywhere. EVERYWHERE I TELL YOU!!!! Stupid yellow jeeps. :D

Look on the brightside, you could be hunting a micro in a parking lot?