?caches with coordinates ONLY?

Guest treemoss2

Guest treemoss2

I see some caches are coordinates only. You don't know where the heck to even start. Not like you can figure an approximate position on a road map and then home in.

So how come the cache site doesn't require people to list at least a nearby city so we can see how to home in, or if it is worth researching that cache?

I still have not mastered the easy GPS so I can get proper targets on the topos.

When the maps finally work proper on the cace page, you will be able to see a small map showing where that cache is. If you click on one of the map links on the cache page, that will take you to that map service with the coordinates already entered. Also, when you search for caches there is a link at the top of the search results page to display a map of the state. You can then ID a cache you are interested in. Hope that helps! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

some cachers feel its more a thrill to find a cache w/o being give the info. about where to start, what city or park the cache is in.

it is usally possiable to use the maps to zoom in and get a good idea about where the cache is at and how to get there.

if you want an idea about where to start i would suggest you email the cache owner and ask for more info.

treemoss2

That can be a big part of the fun in cache hunting. There are those that like to have it all mapped out beforehand... that is possible with the coordinates and some tech savy... there are those that want an idea as to length of trip needed... those are best served in reading other's logs.. and there are those that really don't care what is available they just want to have something to hunt. You get to choose which fits you best... if you want no hints you don't have to read them... if you want more you can email the owner before hand for some back up if you feel there might not be enough there.

I could be acused of not providing enough hints in some of my caches... but I'm not trying to make it easy... don't want the challenge to become frustrating though.... those traits can wear on each other...but I'm always available by email and I generally listen icon_smile.gif !!

treemoss2

That can be a big part of the fun in cache hunting. There are those that like to have it all mapped out beforehand... that is possible with the coordinates and some tech savy... there are those that want an idea as to length of trip needed... those are best served in reading other's logs.. and there are those that really don't care what is available they just want to have something to hunt. You get to choose which fits you best... if you want no hints you don't have to read them... if you want more you can email the owner before hand for some back up if you feel there might not be enough there.

I could be acused of not providing enough hints in some of my caches... but I'm not trying to make it easy... don't want the challenge to become frustrating though.... those traits can wear on each other...but I'm always available by email and I generally listen icon_smile.gif !!

Guest treemoss2

Thanks for all the replies. I don't want every little detail either to take away the fun of finding it. My post had more to do with the general area of the cache, as in Denver vs Colorado Springs. This would help me decide right off whether or not to look further.

I do not think that "Denver" gives away too much for those who may consider that cache.

I now know about the topo feature, which is not accurate except in general terms anyway. And I know about the state/region map feature. Usually I go to the caches and click on the nearby ones and expand from there.