Urban Micro Caches

I was wondering if other people are getting sick of all these stupid urban caches ( mostly micro's) that are just getting put any where and any everywhere. I live in Spokane Wa. and we have had explosion of these types of caches in the last year or so. Some for example. One is in old car wash. It has broken glass and other things that know one should see. There are is also another that was just approved that is in a pile of old bricks. What is the fun of sorting through a pile of old brick to find a stupid micro cache that you just sign the log. They need to come up with a better way to approve all caches. Maybe we can have a group of people in each local that could go out physically look at each cache and determine if they are good for the game.

:bad: Patrick

. Maybe we can have a group of people in each local that could go out physically look at each cache and determine if they are good for the game.

What's good for the game is to have caches that suit all kinds of geocachers. Some people love urban micros, but wouldn't dream of hiking 6 miles round trip to a cache in the mountains. Others like the nice hikes and wouldn't touch a cache behind the local Walmart.

The great thing about this sport is that nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to look for a certain kind of cache. Come to think of it, that's a really great thing, because if that happened it would really suck.

Edited by briansnat

I hate micros. I hate micros with passion that transcends the boundaries of physics as we know them. I hate micros so darn much...all right, you get the picture.

Despite my utter and complete distaste of micros. A distaste born on the molecular level and permeating every fiber of my being. 'Tis a soul crushing, rebel rousing revelry of hatred for all things micro. Ahem. Some cachers, poor lost souls, do like them. I consider it survival of the fittest.

You're continuing the myth that urban micros = lame micros. Nope. I've hidden some micros that are very creative, if I do say so myself. All it takes is some effort. You should be complaining about lame caches, micros or standards.

Here's a few reviews. They keep ME coming back for more.

-What an ingenius cache container. Found it by accident and we are still laughing about it's cleverness.

-Containers don't get much better than this. We did walk straight up to it and identify it for what it was, but I don't think it's in any danger from the average muggle.

-I think it's the easy caches giving me a hard time nowadays. This is a pretty clever cache. Funny thing is, I had the same idea about a week ago. It should make the newbies whine a bit.

-This will go down as a favorite cache-in-the-city.

Yup, lame micro and urban micro aren't the same. But film cans under light pole covers are getting a little tired and I'm just wondering why more people don't say so in their logs. I think if that happened hiders might get the message. I can't believe that all the people that find these things are thinking "great another parking lot cache!"

Edited by Nurse Dave
I agree. If you don't like them, just don't do them. Issue resolved. :bad:

Here's the problem with that argument: If you're a traveling cacher like me, you target a whole bunch of caches in a given area, and since you don't know the area or the reputation of the hider(s), you don't know it's a garbage-strewn, broken-glass-covered, corner of a WalMart parking lot until you get there. You've just wasted x amount of time and effort driving to that location, and of course having come that far you feel compelled to go ahead and do the cache. You hold your nose due to the stench of the immediate garbage (or worse) in the area, and you walk away muttering to yourself, "I didn't need the stat that badly". Then you proceed and end up with your next 5 or 6 more being just like it, and next thing you know you've spent 2 hours in garbage-lots.

To that end, "If you don't like 'em, don't do 'em" is not a catch-all answer. If you're like me and not from the area, how can you know until you get there?

Just an alternative perspective, FWIW.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Am I understanding your profile correctly that you found 68 caches in one day??

If you're talking to me (not clear from your post), I bagged 53 in a day in Nashville (and 108 in 3 days), but (a) apparently that's child's play compared to some power-numbers-cachers in the area, and ( b ) a majority of them were parking lot micros like what I described. Case in point.

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19

Ok sarcastic comment coming here.......... Use the the map on the cache page. If it shows the cache is in a city or town what are the chances that you are going to see a scenic vista or find a big ole ammo can????? :bad: Oh and it says micro on the top right hand corner of the cache page! If it shows this on the map or says MICRO on the cache page and you don't like them well you know the rest. ;)

I agree. If you don't like them, just don't do them. Issue resolved.  :bad:

Here's the problem with that argument: If you're a traveling cacher like me, you target a whole bunch of caches in a given area, and since you don't know the area or the reputation of the hider(s), you don't know it's a garbage-strewn, broken-glass-covered, corner of a WalMart parking lot until you get there. You've just wasted x amount of time and effort driving to that location, and of course having come that far you feel compelled to go ahead and do the cache. You hold your nose due to the stench of the immediate garbage (or worse) in the area, and you walk away muttering to yourself, "I didn't need the stat that badly". Then you proceed and end up with your next 5 or 6 more being just like it, and next thing you know you've spent 2 hours in garbage-lots.

To that end, "If you don't like 'em, don't do 'em" is not a catch-all answer. If you're like me and not from the area, how can you know until you get there?

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Exactly, I was traveling recently and fell foul of the same thing. Most of the local caches were micros, mostly in parking lots. I gave up on one because of the dessicated roadkill I found myself kneeling in. I was fortunate enough to find an excellent nearby regular cache in a state park however.

The other problem with lame (not urban) micros is that they may limit the ability to place a nearby regular cache - not a common scenario I know, but still a chance.

My queries radius has been shrinking very fast. The micros now exceed half of all others in the area.

I was interested in tough micros at first. I think I was spoiled by an ingenious hider. Dr Ufo Koska. They were very stimulating. Although now all micros are boring unimaginative toss in the bushes duds.

Oh well. :bad: Now I just filter out all micros in my queries. I still generate one with all caches. However I'm not interested in them.

It's all about location.

Before travelling to another city, I set up some pocket queries. I can choose to hunt "all types" or just the types I want. I can also choose regular-size caches only if I don't want to hunt micros. If you're that concerned about micro-caches in a city (where there are few places to hide larger caches anyway) pony up $3 and get your own pocket queries

To my way of thinking, if you do not like to location don't look for it. About the only caches I will not do are ones on school yards. I have seen a couple like this, being a single male, there is no way I am going to poke around the bushes on a school yard. One of the school yard caches I came across was on a private girls school that you could only get to when school was in session. It was relocated about a month later.

I enjoy all kinds of caches as it gives me something to do in my spare time on lunch breaks and before and after work. You can't always go out of town to hike for the traditional ones. The local cachers in my area have all done a terrific job on the micros around here to keep them from getting boring. Most of them are very challenging and I am always game for a good challenge. If you don't like 'em don't look for 'em. I'll take them however they come. This is my one and only addiction.

Am I understanding your profile correctly that you found 68 caches in one day??

Yes I did with alot of help. It was called the Yakima Cache Machine.

It seems your point is that you prefer "quality caches". I just can't imagine that many caches beiing all that great if you could get them all in one day but yet you searched them out. Maybe thats what burned you out on micros.

I was wondering if other people are getting sick of all these stupid urban caches ( mostly micro's) that are just getting put any where and any everywhere. I live in Spokane Wa. and we have had explosion of these types of caches in the last year or so. Some for example. One is in old car wash. It has broken glass and other things that know one should see. There are is also another that was just approved that is in a pile of old bricks. What is the fun of sorting through a pile of old brick to find a stupid micro cache that you just sign the log. They need to come up with a better way to approve all caches. Maybe we can have a group of people in each local that could go out physically look at each cache and determine if they are good for the game.

:D Patrick

:P don't like em don't do em! you can always filter them out of your search.

Why? Do you really want to have someone rating your cache for artistry, placment, technical hide quality, spelling and grammar before it can be approved?

I think crap caches are a much much better solution than subjecting cache approvals to aesthetic and subjective approvals.

While one can see how this screening would be abused, I am not opposed to a trial run. How about approval as a MOC? The cache is found by locals who get the concept and goals of the game and understand the local environment. These logs would result in a general approval if they were positive (nice hide, good location, etc). Set some limit for a cache (say 3 MOC logs) and then open approval.

This gives a big incentive for people to pay their $30 and gives the approvers a means of finding new people who do a particularly good job and who might be good future approvers.

Before travelling to another city, I set up some pocket queries. I can choose to hunt "all types" or just the types I want. I can also choose regular-size caches only if I don't want to hunt micros. If you're that concerned about micro-caches in a city (where there are few places to hide larger caches anyway) pony up $3 and get your own pocket queries

I realize there are some folks who hate ALL micros, but I'm not one of those. I LIKE good, imaginative micros, or micros that take me to nice or interesting locations even if the cache itself (container/hide) is nothing special. (I've hidden many of these myself near my home on the Miss. Gulf Coast - "nothing special" caches, but generally rave reviews in the logs for taking folks to a cool/unusual spot).

So to me, filtering out all micros is not a solution. The issue at hand is to try to start to lessen the number of what folks are calling "lame" micros - and while it's true everyone has a different opinion of what "lame" means (which I respect, really), the fact is that there can be no arguing the following: Any cache near garbage, or in an area like a parking lot where local law enforcement or private security or concerned citizens might be concerned about potential terrorist activities here in paranoid post-9/11 America, is ALWAYS BAD, period.

As has been stated elsewhere on this thread, not all urban micros are bad, and in fact some are terrific. Case in point from my personal experience: There's a series of urban micros in Nashville around the Vanderbilt U. area that I thought was excellent. No digging around trashy areas, no proximity to trash dumpsters or broken glass, and no need to lift lamppost bases or do anything else to make people paranoid. They were easy, I cranked a bunch of stats, and got a great walking tour of a wonderful area of town. (Plus, if I'd had a caching partner that trip, we could have also done them by car as drive-ups).

By contrast, there's another series of Nashville caches that are drive-ups in parking lots and near trash dumpsters and other unpleasant aspects. The hiders argue that they "hide 'em like they like to find 'em" because they're mobility-impaired or otherwise unable to do a lot of walking. OK, no problem with the reasoning, but still, TRASH and SECURITY CONCERNS are ALWAYS BAD. Those same hiders could have taken more time, and maybe hidden fewer caches (now there's a radical thought!) and picked better locations and still had drive-up capability. The Vanderbilt U. series is right in their backyard as a perfect example.

The problem we have is that new cachers who start caching in areas like Nashville and others that have become saturated with these types of caches make a lot of those finds and thus use that as their example for their own hides, and the problem perpetuates/festers. It does a disservice to searchers, and it does a disservice to the QUALITY hiders in the area, whose caches see less visitor traffic while everyone's busy chasing parking lot micros.

And I stand by my earlier comment that the "If you don't like 'em, don't search for 'em" argument does NOT hold water for cachers who do not know the area or the local hiders' reputations. You're not p*ssed off about investing your x hours of caching in garbage-lots until after you get there and do 'em.

I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here. I love my stats, and I'll be the first to admit that. When I travel to different cities/areas, I power-cache for numbers in order to maximize my time, and I make no apologies for it. BUT: Even as a "numbers cacher", it's still about enjoying the experience and enjoying the locations which I never would have visited if a cache hadn't brought me there. "Caching for numbers" and "caching for the enjoyment" are NOT mutually exclusive.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I was wondering if other people are getting sick of all these stupid urban caches ( mostly micro's) that are just getting put any where and any everywhere.

:D Patrick

I not sick of them. I'm sick of whining. Did you ever consider that there are cachers who can't access anything else? Did you ever consider that some of us really enjoy urban micros?

Of course not.

And for those of you who love to use the word lame? You've created an entire type of cache. Do a search with the word lame in it on your hide and seek page. People are tired of all these forum whiners. I know one cacher who's hidden 10 "Lame Duck" caches already.

I enjoyed them all. :P

don't like em don't do em! you can always filter them out of your search.

Not to pick on programmer64 since other people have said the same thing however how do you know if they are good before you find them? I can't simply filter out all micros because some of them are very interesting and very challenging. It is hard to automatically filter out urban areas and, even if a person could do so, there are some interesting urban areas to see thus filtering out all urban areas would be a loss.

As far as I know there is simply no way to avoid lame caches except to read the logs. Even this is not foolproof since too many people do not express negative opinions in the logs but rather fall back to the neutral TNLNSL. It is also a lot of work and far from automatic.

If you have a good idea on how to filter them out of your search so that we don't do em then let us know.

People who post comments like:

The local cachers in my area have all done a terrific job on the micros around here to keep them from getting boring. Most of them are very challenging and I am always game for a good challenge.

are missing the point. The post is not about "micros are bad" but rather about "lame urban caches" such those as in car washes and in parking lot lamp posts. I suspect that the original poster would love to have only quality urban micros in his area.

...To that end, "If you don't like 'em, don't do 'em" is not a catch-all answer. If you're like me and not from the area, how can you know until you get there?...

You post in the local forums and say "Hey I'll be in town next week and will have time for some quick caches. Which ones should I do?"

Normally you won't see the ones that are generally viewed as lame come up.

...To that end, "If you don't like 'em, don't do 'em" is not a catch-all answer.  If you're like me and not from the area, how can you know until you get there?...

You post in the local forums and say "Hey I'll be in town next week and will have time for some quick caches. Which ones should I do?"

Normally you won't see the ones that are generally viewed as lame come up.

Now THAT'S a constructive suggestion. Obviously that doesn't always work if locals are not monitoring the forums, but it's a good start.

Thanks, RK! :-)

-Dave R.

If you have a good idea on how to filter them out of your search so that we don't do em then let us know

Well, the answer is to have collabrative filtering, so that the total subjective cache rating score that you would see on a cache (NOT the owner supplied terrain and difficulty ratings) is weighted heavily by the ratings given by other cachers that generally rate caches at the same level as you do. If you've ever used amazon.com to find a book that you might enjoy reading, then you have seen a system like this in action.

The rating that I would see on the cache would likely be completely different from the rating that you would see. People that hate all micros would not match up with my interests, so there subjective rating of the cache would not count much towards the subjective rating score that is calculated for me.

-Rick

I agree. If you don't like them, just don't do them. Issue resolved.  :D

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Just wondering-is two hours spent looking for 5-6 lame urban micros any more frustrating than a two hour walk in the woods just to spot a pile of parallel sticks from 50'away? Lame is lame no matter what size or where. Subjective ratings aren't the answer, but reading the logs of previous finders gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

The post is not about "micros are bad" but rather about "lame urban caches"

There are "lame" caches of every type. Most virtuals are "lame" to those that don't like virtuals. Film cannisters are "lame" for those who don't like micros. Ammo cans full of junk are "lame" to just about everyone.

NOT ALL CACHES ARE EQUAL!!!

Quit whining about it!

You've already said that you LIKE imaginative micros. So only hunt for those with a difficulty rating over 2 stars and you'll weed out quite a few of the ones you consider "lame". Increase your filter to 3 stars and you will probably never see a "lame" micro again.

Why do you think some people don't bother searching for 1/1's? Then again, there are some people that can ONLY search for 1/1's. Should we stop caring about placing caches for those people?

I am going to start a series call "Park and Grab" but all of the 5 caches will have a difficulty rating of 5. Getting there is the easy thing. Finding it will be the very hard thing. They are also going to be very innovative.

Than can be fun if you make them interesting. I am spending a lot of time making sure it is fun.....not just finding an empty film can and putting it in a parking lot.

Just wondering-is two hours spent looking for 5-6 lame urban micros any more frustrating than a two hour walk in the woods just to spot a pile of parallel sticks from 50'away? Lame is lame no matter what size or where. Subjective ratings aren't the answer, but reading the logs of previous finders gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

True, very true. Can't argue with that point.

Issue at hand on this thread, though, is specifically about urban micros. No offense (seriously).

-Dave R.

I was wondering if other people are getting sick of all these stupid traditional caches ( mostly tupperware containers) that are just getting put any where and any everywhere. I live in Corpus Christi Tx. and we have had explosion of these types of caches in the last year or so. Some for example. One is in a bush in a field. It has broken glass and other things that know one should see. There are is also another that was just approved that is in a pile of old bricks. What is the fun of sorting through a pile of old brick to find a stupid tupperware cache that you just sign the log, because the trade items suck. They need to come up with a better way to approve all caches. Maybe we can have a group of people in each local that could go out physically look at each cache and determine if they are good for the game.

My point is not all traditional caches are good either. I like well placed urban micros better than a boring 1/1 traditional.

I currently have 171 finds, almost all within 20-25 miles of home. On fairly level land I am fine and can hike all day. If I climb too much, my knees start hurting (I'm working on exercising to strengthen them). There are hundreds in the regional parks near me that I probably won't get because of their elevation (and the fact that I have a fear of heights).

I'm glad there are a lot of micros around. Several of them were in containers so clever they stumped me for weeks.Tomorrow I plan on trying to get as many of the 40 or so micro caches placed in a nearby town in the last week or so.

I, for one, don't mind micros at all. They are not my absolute favorites but I will go hunt for any that are nearby.

Typically, I take a look at the cache page, the owner's description and the logs of previous finders. Most of the ones I have hunted had excellent logs that gave me an idea of what I was looking for and what type of area it was hidden in.

Here are some logs from a micro I found a few weeks ago:

What a nice little park----and very well kept also--!!

Real nice park with lots of wildlife

This is an absolutely amazing park (bring your fishing pole, dog and kids).

From reading these logs, I can see that this micro is in a nice park. I went to find the cache and the previous finders were right on. The park this micro is hidden in is a real treat. Very nice and clean!

On the other hand, here are some logs from another (regular) cache I found:

Found it! CREEPY place though! The area is well, ah how do I say it??, used.

There sure is alot of homeless camping going on here.

Must be used as a dump by the nearby apartment dwellers.

From reading these logs I can see that this cache is not in the greatest area. But I went and found it anyway. :D

So, I guess you can either avoid all micros completely or try to get a feel for the place by reading the owner's cache info and prior logs.

If you find a micro in a bad area (unsafe or creepy), perhaps email the owner about it or post the information in your log, letting others know that the area is questionable.

Just my .02 :P

RickRichWell, the answer is to have collabrative filtering, so that the total subjective cache rating score that you would see on a cache (NOT the owner supplied terrain and difficulty ratings) is weighted heavily by the ratings given by other cachers that generally rate caches at the same level as you do. If you've ever used amazon.com to find a book that you might enjoy reading, then you have seen a system like this in action.

Well, yes, this is a good idea. It has been brought up before -- I'm too lazy to Markwell it at the moment -- and basically shot down. Personally I think that it would be nice to have it. Maybe someday.

Well, I have found the car wash cache that you spoke of...not sure about the brick one, but anyhow. I go caching with my family and it was kinda nice going to that car wash, because the DVD kept rolling in the car while I searched for the cache 5 feet away. I like the out of the way caches that are more creative, and I like the easy quick urban micros too. I have a couple that people just gripe about, but you know what???? I could care less! I know that there will be another family that is thankful they could get out for a few and find a nice easy local urban cache. I am really not big on posting at all, but people in Spokane, WA need to chill out. If you hate what's being placed, then up the standards...give people a reason to want to place difficult/interesting caches. Boo hoo...wa wa to all people that just complain. One person that has my respect right now is MedicOne. He archived my favorite cache because it didn't fit his standards (Grassy Swale). He is upping the bar and just his simple statement about why, has made me want to make better caches as well.

What I'm quickly growing tired of isn't urban micro caches, but suburban and rural micros.  Why hide a micro in a spot that can easily hide a full size ammo can?

Since I keep hearing this question, here's some answers off the top of my head:

1) Because you're sick of people complaining about the quality of the swag after they've traded down the area.

2) Because you wanted to make the cache harder to find.

3) Because you only really wanted to contain a logbook and a pencil.

4) Because the past 4 ammo cans in this area have been muggled.

5) Because it turns out this place has a high muggle population at certain times of the year/day.

6) Because a micro can be hidden in a manner that an ammo can can't,

7) Because you happen to have 50 altoids tins from your co-workers and the local Army Surplus store is out of ammo cans.

8) Because walking through the area and out into the woods while carrying an ammo can is likely to get the cops called on you and your backpack is still on loan.

9) Because you had a micro ready to go in your car when the urge hit you.

10) Because you want to prove it can be done and should be done instead of forcing people to only hide X type of container in Y location.

I go caching with my family and it was kinda nice going to that car wash, because the DVD kept rolling in the car while I searched for the cache 5 feet away. I like the out of the way caches that are more creative, and I like the easy quick urban micros too. I have a couple that people just gripe about, but you know what???? I could care less! I know that there will be another family that is thankful they could get out for a few and find a nice easy local urban cache. I am really not big on posting at all, but people in Spokane, WA need to chill out. If you hate what's being placed, then up the standards...give people a reason to want to place difficult/interesting caches. Boo hoo...wa wa to all people that just complain.

You think that is what people in Spokane do is just complain about the caches. Well you are wrong. If some of these people would give a little bit of thought to were the they are placing there caches the quality of the game would go up. Most of the caches that have come around in the last year are so are like the one in the car wash that you can drive up with your family leave the dvd payer on and find. What is the fun in that. (Just my opinion) if you want fun go out and show your family nature. Yes I understand that people have young kids and they can't go on eight mile hike to find just two caches but that is ok. I do not dislike all urban micro's some of them are well thouhgt out and the are a great find. But come on what is the point of a broken down car wash or a micro under a light post in the middle of Costco parking lot.

But come on what is the point of a broken down car wash or a micro under a light post in the middle of Costco parking lot.

Good, another location for my next urban micro.

I really appreciate the whiners on this forum. I always get great ideas on where to hide urbans. I hadn't considered placing one under the base of a lampost or in a magnetic key holder under a phone booth. WalMart, Costco and car washes have all gotten their fair share of micros thanks to the whiners here.

Now I need a clarification on this car wash thing. Is it a broken down car that needs washing or a car wash that is broken? Oh heck, I will just place two just to make sure I"ve got my bases covered. ;)

Guess what kids, don't look for any urbans if they offend you. Could that be a solution to help you tone down the whining???? I hope so because they aren't going away anytime soon.

Now I need a clarification on this car wash thing. Is it a broken down car that needs washing or a car wash that is broken? Oh heck, I will just place two just to make sure I"ve got my bases covered. :P

Guess what kids, don't look for any urbans if they offend you. Could that be a solution to help you tone down the whining???? I hope so because they aren't going away anytime soon.

Boy your getting a little round around the middle, why don't you get out of gas guzzling S.U.V. and take real hike. :P:PB);) Yes I know the aren't going anytime soon. So I guess if I did my next fix I can go to that broken down Car Wash. :D

Now I need a clarification on this car wash thing.  Is it a broken down car that needs washing or a car wash that is broken?  Oh heck, I will just place two just to make sure I"ve got my bases covered.  :P

Guess what kids, don't look for any urbans if they offend you.  Could that be a solution to help you tone down the whining????  I hope so because they aren't going away anytime soon.

Boy your getting a little round around the middle, why don't you get out of gas guzzling S.U.V. and take real hike. :P:PB);) Yes I know the aren't going anytime soon. So I guess if I did my next fix I can go to that broken down Car Wash. :D

I don't hike. The trails aren't wide enough for my Suburban B)

B) I love Micros in my area!

I live in Sunny Palm Beach County Florida. I guess most of the people here have chosen the placement of their Micro to get us cachers to see something we have never seen before. It is usually a great view of the water, beautiful ships, or to get someone motivated to take that walk through the trail they passed thousands of times before. Often, the area is not a good place for a full size container because it is in an area where the dunes are protected or leaving the trail or walkway could cause damage to the protected environment. There are small and large parks everywhere but even though I have lived here for 16 years, I have been to 15 parks within 8 miles of my home that I never new were there. I have found a couple in parking lots, but those were more a challenge to find and very creative in their placement.

I also enjoy the traditional caches, but read the info about them carefully because some of them can be dangerous when you are out there alone.

jeanneisme

I was wondering if other people are getting sick of all these stupid urban caches ( mostly micro's) that are just getting put any where and any everywhere. I live in Spokane Wa. and we have had explosion of these types of caches in the last year or so.

I'm not sick of "stupid" urban micros. In fact I'm happy to have any kind of cache I can get. If you don't like them don't look for them.