Loss Of A Great Cacher

Please accept our sincere condolences!

My "big dog", Heidi, is also in that house not made with hands eternal in the heavens.

154464_1200.jpg

She and the "little dog" used to run and play, we enjoyed their amusement so much. The "little dog" is kind of lost now. I am sure we will have to get her another companion.

Edited by Oneyedjack

I'm so sorry for your loss and know the sorrow you feel. I hope that this message will bring you a measure of comfort.

Sincerely,

Donna/Chev

Team CoyChev

Roseville, MI

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I'm so sorry for your loss and know the sorrow you feel. I hope that this message will bring you a measure of comfort.

Sincerely,

Donna/Chev

Team CoyChev

Roseville, MI

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Awesome CoyChev...couldn't be stated better.

When it comes to sturdy, loyal and smart companions for exploring the great outdoors, it's hard to beat a Yellow Lab. Out in the woods, I often think of my Yellow Lab, Virgil, who had the unfortunate timing of passing on before geocaching was born. He was always bugging me to get out and explore more often. He especially loved bushwacking and was a champ at following the course of a stream through Pennsylvania's ridges and valleys.

"Take me with you!" he says, as he watches me set out on each cache hunt. In the meantime, he'll have to wait awhile to join me again. Hopefully he can show Yellowdog the way around in his new stomping grounds, and Yellowdog can share geocaching stories.

I am sorry you lost your caching buddy. I have found two of the great yellowdog's caches and they were very good. But just remember the Rainbow Bridge. Yellowdog was lucky to have such a great owner and he was an awesome cache hiding dog.

Our sympathies are with you,

Brenna

Floyd the mega cat

Bevo (AKA cow cat)

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :bad:

I'm glad someone posted Rainbow Bridge. When my old cat died, Webfoot nicely posted that in the old Cheers Gang forum for me and I reposted it in another pet loss thread months later. It is a comforting peice.

It brings tears to my eyes whenever I see the piece.

Yellowdog - my condolensces on your loss. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to bear this burden in the near future as our Rocky is nearing 17 and has slowed down considerably in the last couple of years.

:D

I checked your gallery and was glad to see you've taken many photos of YD and you. I'm guessing you have many more to cherish as well. As long as you have the memories (including his caches), he'll continue to live for you.

...And I bet I'm not the only one who went to give his or her dog a hug when they read about your loss. It makes us all appreciate the unconditional love of pets we too often take for granted. Mine's a German Shepherd, surprisingly the most affectionate dog I've ever had, but I love almost any breed.

You have our sympathy. We know how you must feel. Do you know the legend of the Rainbow Bridge?

Also my sympathies to those who've lost their dear 4-legged 'caching partners. I respond to this post because of the Rainbow Bridge legend mention. I read down a bit, and the legend is a beautiful one. I had not heard this legend.

Beeyooteeful! :**) <schniffle>

Warm regards, and *Meow* from, *glub glub*

My condolences for your loss. It's amazing how much our furry little friends mean to us.

To be honest, and risking the appearance of extreme callousness, I've probably shed more tears over dead dogs than dead family members. I often get through funerals of people I love dearly with dry eyes, but losing a pet, just tears me up.

I work in an ER, and see the brutal result of trauma and sickness frequently, and it doesn't phase me, but I can't even watch those Animal Vet or those SPCA COPS shows.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291125057

WOW thanks to all of you

for you thoughts and good feelings

it's amazing how much our furry friends touch our lives

i am glad i had the company of Yellowdog for as long as i did(9yrs)

i always said that he found me , i remember when he came into my life,

i was not even lookin for a dog but he wedged his way in and we became best buddys.

just in case any one wanted to know he died of cancer to his spleen. it started all

the sudden one day we went to go out for our daily walk and he couldnt even make it to the end of the driveway, i figured he ate something ????

a few days later he was fine. (he was bleeding internally and it was getting absorbed back in) then it started again so i took him in to the vet and they took out his spleen and told me he had up to 4 months to live he had what is called hemangiosarcoma

the vets offered all kinds of treatment from chemo to holistic

but no cure

so i tried to make his last days the best

i took him on a vacation to maob and dog beach in huntington bch CA

we had a great time

and as soon as we got home he died

we had 37days together from diagnosis to the day the cancer took over.......i hate cancer :D .........dadgum the cancer :P ...........its not fair :D

thanks for all your support

i love the post about rainbow bridge

team YD forever

Edited by TEAM YELLOWDOG

:D

A few years ago I lost my first dog I owned as an adult, Spike. I was reluctant to get another dog for a while, but my wife insisted that we adopt a little puppy from a shelter we were doing some volunteer work at. I told her I wasn't ready yet. She insisted and I relented. It turned out to be the best decision we could have ever made. The rest is puppymonster history of course.

It is sad to loose a friend but don't resist bringing another new buddy into the household.

Spike, playing, ready to pounce, you gotta love those blue eyes.

d20278c3-c3bc-40c9-963f-d2fe284e4214.jpg

I offer my condolences on your loss. This whole thread brought tears to my eyes, especially the poem "Rainbow Bridge". It makes me miss my old dog Romeo and he's been gone over 28 years. I'm also glad I took the time to play with the dog that visits our yard before I came to work today. He wanted to go for a ride in my car too. Someday I'll have a dog again.

When I read the post about Rainbow Bridge, it reminded me of another version I received in email shortly after 9-11.

Even pups that didn't have a loving owner on earth have an important place at the Rainbow Bridge.

I have two cats right now, and even though I know it will break my heart when they die, I will carry the knowledge that I filled their lives with love and security while they were here.

WELCOME AT RAINBOW BRIDGE

By Alexander Theodore Bouvier

On the morning of September 11, 2001, there was an

unprecedented amount of activity at the Rainbow Bridge.

Decisions had to be made. They had to be made quickly. And,

they were.

At issue, not often addressed here, is the fact that many

residents really have no loved one for whom to wait. Think

of the pups who lived and died in hideous puppy mills. No

one on earth loved or protected them.

What about the many who spent unhappy lives tied in

backyards? And, the ones who were abused. Who are they to

wait for?

We don't talk about that much up here. We share our loved

ones as they arrive, happy to do so. But we all know there

is nothing like having your very own person who thinks you

are the most special pup in the Heavens.

Last Tuesday morning, a request rang out for pups not

waiting for specific persons to volunteer for special

assignment..An eager, curious crowd surged excitedly

forward, each pup wondering what the assignment would be.

They were told by a solemn voice that unexpectedly, all at

once, over 4,000 loving people had left Earth long before

they were ready.

All the pups, as all pups do, felt the humans' pain deep in

their own hearts. Without hearing more, there was a

clamoring about them - "May I have one to comfort?" - "I'll

take two, I have a big heart." - "I have been saving kisses

forever."

One after another they came forward begging for assignment.

One cozy-looking fluffy pup hesitantly asked, "Are there

any children coming? I would be very comforting for a

child, 'cause I'm soft and squishy and I always wanted to

be hugged."

A group of Dalmatians came forward asking to meet the

Firemen and be their friends. The larger working breeds

offered to greet the Police Officers and make them feel at

home.

Little dogs volunteered to do what they do best, cuddle and

kiss.

Dogs, who on Earth had never had a kind word or a pat on

the head, stepped forward and said, "I will love any human

who needs love."

Then all the dogs, wherever on Earth they originally came

from, rushed to the Rainbow Bridge and stood waiting,

overflowing with love to share - each tail wagging an

American Flag.

Team YellowDog you have my condolences.

Our sweet Charity is up there also. She was a dobie we got from a rescue agency - she was a special dog - she had been abandoned and hit by a car. Her front paw was fused, but she ran and played as if she had no handicap. We were picked over several other families to adpot her. We had to put her down in May of 2001 because her kidney's suddenly shut down and there was nothing they could do.

GPSKitty - your post brought me to tears. On 9/11/01 my brother crossed that bridge - whether he met up with my Charity or some other dog I won't know till I see them both again.

Funny that I happend across this post today - I just set out another cache this afternoon - all of my caches are subnamed with my brother's initials and all start out with an American flag pin.

-PD

Team YellowDog-

I am very sorry to hear about your immense loss. I agree with the others here who have said losing a pet is harder than anyone can imagine. My dog passed away with cancer also. I always thought it was a "human" disease. I still miss him after 17 years.

The only thing I can think of to offer you is you should make a geocache dedicated to YellowDog. I know he would love telling his buddies up on the Rainbow Bridge, "Hey guys, look at those humans sniffing around for my cache! I could walk them right to it! They don't even see that squirrel watching them! Aw, come on! It's right there!" Etc, etc.

Everytime someone finds YellowDog's cache, you will know that someone else has the memory of your loved one in their heart.

Brad

Yellow Dog, you have my sincere condolences. My Black Lab Chloe is about 10 years old and we had a little scare right before Christmas. She is fine now but is starting to show her age. But if you get out a ball or grab her leash all the puppy that is still in her takes ahold of her. My wife (and me also) is really dreading the day (hopefully a long time from now) when she will join Yellowdog and share caching stories.

Hopefully these posts have helped in some manner.

Team GeoRemdation staring Chloe the Lab!

To be honest, and risking the appearance of extreme callousness, I've probably shed more tears over dead dogs than dead family members.  I often get through funerals of people I love dearly with dry eyes, but losing a pet, just tears me up. 

Wow! I thought that I was the ONLY person in the world who felt this way, so have never said it out loud. It's comforting to know that I'm NOT the only one.

Don't get me wrong, I think of, and miss, my friends and family members who've passed on, but there's just a different feeling when it comes to missing my Irish Setter. I dearly miss petting Red Oak's Prince Michael (Mike to all who knew him), scratching him under and behind his soft, long, silky ears and feeling the velvet just above his nose. It's been 14 1/2 years and I can still cry when I think of him. I know he'll greet me at Rainbow Bridge, though, and that makes it okay.

Donna/Chev

Team CoyChev

Roseville, MI

You and Yellow Dog are in are thoughts. Please remember that you are surrounded (virtually and otherwise) by those of us who understand this is a REAL loss and like missing anyone you love, will effect your life. So sorry for your loss.

As a vet tech I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating than cancer. I am with you...I HATE IT!

Good for you for going the extra mile in his medical care. I understand how difficult it all can be.

Sounds like you gave him a wonderful life full of love. I don't think I can think of a better way to have Yellow Dog go then to spend the day in a favorite place with his favorite person. Wish all of us can be that lucky.

He may be gone from your home, but will never leave your heart.

Joyce and Jason

CacheCreatures

I lost my cat Dexter the beginning of last year, and it still pains me to think about it. Here I am, a grown man, and I literally lay on the floor and bawled for a good half an hour after he died. There's something very profound about the loss of an animal that loved you unconditionally.

The Legend of the Rainbow Bridge reminds me of a book you should all read called The Afterlife Experiments by Dr. Gary E. Schwartz.

The author is extermely well credentialed. He's "professor of psychology, medicine, neurology, psychiatry and surgery at the University of Arizona and director of its Human Energy Systems Laboratory. After receiving his doctorate from Harvard University, he served as a professor of psychology and psychiatry at Yale University, director of the Yale Psychophysiology Center, and co-director of the Yale Behavioral Medicine Clinic."

He sets about to scientifically test the hypothesis that "mediums" can communicate with the dead, and his results are fascinating. Regardless of what your beliefs, the book is worth a read. There's more information at the

website.

On Monday, we had to put one of caching partners, Jake, to sleep. Cushing's disease kicked his butt. It was very hard to do but over the weekend he changed and it didn't appear that he was enjoying life anymore. We miss you Jake.

Jake.jpg

I am sorry for your loss. i know that when my dog cinnamon dies i will have a hard time getting over it. I had two of my friends dogs die inthe the last month so in honor of yellow dog when i am in colorado sometime I will hunt for your caches.

I'm so sorry!

Ficky

From another dog-person... my heart goes out to you. I can hardly see the screen to type this. It is especially hard on the owner when you take him to the vet. I have never left a dog, I have sat and held them in my arms while the vet did tne deed. I have always stayed much longer than was necessary holding them. My vet is very understanding. We have the ashes of every one of them on a shelf in the living room.

So your yellow dog is with Babe, Rusty, Max, Valcor, Reba, Kate, Quill, and a few other fine dogs we have lost in the last 20 years.

When my yellow lab was at the end, my vet came to my house to do it. He was 18, I didn't want to stress him. She took the body away, and brought the ashes back a week later. I was in pieces. He was my best buddy for 18 years.

The next day I couldn't go to work. So I stayed home to help my wife clean the carpet. Max had a few accidents over his last few weeks.

While she was removing books from a book-case so we could clean the carpet, a scrap of paper fell out on the floor. It was this poem.

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep.

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,

What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so,

The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,

And please stay with me till the end.

She handed it to me, and I read it, and I went to pieces all over again. I miss them all, but Max was my special buddy. Two weeks later my black buthead was born.

Take my advice. Don't wait. start looking for another dog as soon as you can stand it. And don't pass up a chance to enjoy life tith him. Go to training. Make him a part of the family. And use every minute you have together.

Soo sorry for your loss.

Hi,

I'm saddened to hear of your loss, Team Yellowdog. :D

My "Blackdog" (Zeke) has just this weekend stopped coming out on hikes in the woods with me, and it is breaking both of our hearts...he keeps trying to follow, but his hips are shot.

There is nothing like them in the world, my thoughts are with you.

NFA

Edited by NFA
When my yellow lab was at the end, my vet came to my house to do it.  He was 18, I didn't want to stress him.  She took the body away, and brought the ashes back a week later.  I was in pieces.  He was my best buddy for 18 years.

How wonderful it was of both you and your vet to show that kindness to Max by allowing him to spend his last moments in familiar surroundings.

I couldn't get through the poem with out crying. I will pass it on to others in the future who are facing the heart breaking decision of putting down a beloved pet.

It's amazing how a furry, four-footed critter can wrap their paws around our hearts.