Hiking Sandals

WalruZ

I'm having issues with my hiking boots. Leaving those aside, I've seen people lately in what look to me to be hiking sandals. They're ruggedized for the trail, and since I'm in California weather would be less of a factor, at least most of the year. Anyone use these, anyone have any recommendations?

You mean like these?

3503a.jpg

Nope never used them.

Edit: Just kidding, I have a pair. I like them for fooling around down by the river or lake, but we have way to many sharp pokey/stingy/biting type things around here for them to be practical.

Edited by rusty_tlc

A lot of companies make them. Teva is the most famous, but many hiking boot mfrs also make them. Merrell comes to mind. They are OK for short walks on flat paths, but not appropriate for extended hiking over rugged terrain.

The term hiking sandals is kind of an oxymoron. Sort of like beach boots.

Edited by briansnat
I have a pair of these and love them!  There are great out on the trail.

Those look great. I like the toe guard in front! I looked at the Women's and they start at size 5. I'm tempted to order and see if they fit. Sometimes I can wear a 5 and other times they will be too big.

I once had a great pair of Nike sport sandals that fit me perfect and were good for miles of walking. Unforunately my dog ate half of one of them the first week that I had her. :bad:

Ever since, I have had a hard time finding a pair that fits right.

Edited by carleenp

I was about to put in a good word for Nike Sport Sandals, but I just saw Carleenp did as I hit the button.

I have a pair that I've had for about 5 years now and the soles are still well-treaded. They have a depth that makes them great for going over fairly rocky terrain and good insole support for the long distances.

I wouldn't wear them on anything where I might be going hand-over-foot or through loose boulder areas, since the "toe-crush" factor would be too high...but for lesser trails, they're perfect.

I'm having issues with my hiking boots. Leaving those aside, I've seen people lately in what look to me to be hiking sandals. They're ruggedized for the trail, and since I'm in California weather would be less of a factor, at least most of the year. Anyone use these, anyone have any recommendations?

Have you been using quality hiking boots? Not ones bought from the local big box store. Nothing can beat a good fitting pair of hiking boots for comfort and safety on the trail.

I agree with Brian Snat. Sandles for hiking, this is something I would never do on a real hike. Regardless of the sole, they just do not give any support for you ankles. Then you have the problem of small rocks rolling in between th e bottom of your foot and the foot bed of the sandles. If your are having trouble with your hiking boots it is because you have the wrong boots. Or even the wrong socks.

THen again, are they hiking boots or "Hiking Style" boots, just because it looks like a hiking boot, that does not make it a hiking boot.

I saw a pair of these at EMS - made by a company called KEEN. Of corse, they are expensive, but they looked interesting because they offer plenty of air without being completely open. Nice toe protection. They have them at EMS, but I would look around, because EMS is ridiculously expensive.

KEEN

Yeah these look good too. I wish these brands carried youth size! It is always hit and miss with me at size 5. I already know that if the other brand runs large, it won't work.

I cheerfully hurt someone to be a size 5 in womens shoes .. Im a 9.5 almost impossible to find anything I like in shoes. For athletic shoes I usually get mens (size 7)

I'm actually a size 4 or so. Kids tend to stop at three and womens usually start at five, so it is problematic. I buy youth size alot when I can. The upside is if I find my size it is often on sale!

Edited by carleenp

I wish I could find a pair that felt comfortable, I have feet like a duck, they are so wide. Great for swimming, but not for shoe shopping. I've tried on the Tevas and the straps hit in all the wrong places. Flip flops are out of the question for me, I fall off the sides, and the strap between my toes would irritate too much. I still have to say I am happy with the $20 hiking boots i got at Walmart. Faded Gory. The beat the $145 Asolo's I bought by by a mile. Make that many miles. I think sandals on the trails around here would be asking for trouble. Rocks, snakes, poison ivy, sticks, broken glass, ankle support, and all that stuff. But I still wouldn't mind having a pair that is comfortable!

I would not recommend hiking in sandels or shorts for that matter. I just got bit by a brown recluse spider on a geocache in nc while wearing shorts and got put out of work for week and a half.

I recommend boots with heavyjeans and closures at the bottom of them.

what if you step on a snake with those sandels your toast...

just a tip from a person who's gotten bit..

I'm really having issues with my right pinkie toe. The thing is, it doesn't start to hurt until I'm about 5 miles into the hike - by then it's pretty hard to return boots. I got a pair of LL bean mountain walkers and by the end of an 11 mile hike recently I was just hobbling along. I suspect I just need slightly larger boots - it's just a pita is all. Lesson learned - no more boots by mail order.

I didn't want to start another "my feet hurt" thread, where everyone would then say "go get fitted right". That's like when I go to the doctor and they say "you're fine, but you could stand to lose 30 pounds". I need to pay for that?

Instead, I've seen people with hiking sandles on my local trails - some look like cut-away running shoes, some are just sandles with rugged soles. They like them, and I wanted feedback from members of this community who hike in sandals.

I did buy a pair of Chacos, the Z1, because they don't bind my toes at all. Did a night cache in them with no problem, but it was only about a mile or so. We shall see.

The chaco web site stalls if you don't have flash. that's crap.

After looking at the LL Bean web site, I see three problems,

1st as you mention-It was a mail order purchase, Buying boots mail order is just a big gamble.

2nd- They are not hiking boots, they are walking shoes with no ankle support.

3rd-the price $49.00, try spending at least $125.00 if you want a boot, I sold hiking boots for 30 years, you can not get a good hiking boot for $49.00

Also keep with major brand names in the industry, L L Bean is not a major boot manufacture. Try Vasque, Merrill, North Fact/La Sportiva, Technica, Montrail, Lowe just to mention a few. This means No Big 5, No Sport Mart. And no ECCO styles.

By your discription I would guess they are to short and the toe box may not be wide enough.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Also be sure to get some good hiking socks. I find using regular "tube socks" will kill my feet with blisters while using hiking socks keeps that out of the picture. Thicker, and padded in the right spots, plus made of a material that "wicks away moisture".

1st as you mention-It was a mail order purchase, Buying boots mail order is just a big gamble.

I buy most of my boots mail order. The key is that if it doesn't fit right, send it back.

Too many people don't want to be bothered doing this and wear the boots, despite fit problems. Reputable companies (Like LL Bean) have very liberal return policies and will often refund postage for the return.

True

3rd-the price $49.00, try spending at least $125.00 if you want a boot, I sold hiking boots for 30 years, you can not get a good hiking boot for $49.00

Absolutely, positively not true. I purchased a pair of leather Salomon boots from Sierra Trading Post for $59. They served me well for 6 years, backpacking in the Catskills, Adirondacks and hundreds of miles of day hiking. I still have them and use them on occassion when I'm doing trail work and don't want to get paint on my newer boots. My wife has a pair of Vasque hiking boots that she has used for 3 years now. She has worn them on light backpacking trips and on many, many day hikes and they are still going strong. They don't have the support for extended backpacking trips, or extremely rugged terrain, but are fine for most uses. Cost? $39 at Sierra Trading Post.

Also keep with major brand names in the industry, L L Bean is not a major boot manufacture. Try Vasque, Merrill, North Fact/La Sportiva, Technica, Montrail, Lowe just to mention a few.

I disagree. LL Bean is a major maker of major quality boots. My current boots are the Cresta Hikers. They were a lot of boot for the money. Lightweight, comfortable and provide plenty of support. Backpacker Magazine gave the Cresta Hikers very high marks in their review of the boot. Another pair of LL Bean day hikers I owned served me well for many years.

I agree that there is some risk in mail order hiking boots, but only if you don't purchase them from a reputable dealer and if, rather than sending boots back that don't fit, you try to tough it out.

Edited by briansnat

I buy most of my boots mail order. The key is that if it doesn't fit right, send it back.

Too many people don't want to be bothered doing this and wear the boots, despite fit problems. Reputable companies (Like LL Bean) have very liberal return policies and will often refund postage for the return.

True

Absolutely, positively not true. I purchased a pair of leather Salomon boots from Sierra Trading Post for $59. They served me well for 6 years, backpacking in the Catskills, Adirondacks and hundreds of miles of day hiking. I still have them and use them on occassion when I'm doing trail work and don't want to get paint on my newer boots. My wife has a pair of Vasque hiking boots that she has used for 3 years now. She has worn them on light backpacking trips and on many, many day hikes and they are still going strong. They don't have the support for extended backpacking trips, or extremely rugged terrain, but are fine for most uses. Cost? $39 at Sierra Trading Post.

Also keep with major brand names in the industry, L L Bean is not a major boot manufacture. Try Vasque, Merrill, North Fact/La Sportiva, Technica, Montrail, Lowe just to mention a few.

I disagree. LL Bean is a major maker of major quality boots. My current boots are the Cresta Hikers. They were a lot of boot for the money. Lightweight, comfortable and provide plenty of support. Backpacker Magazine gave the Cresta Hikers very high marks in their review of the boot. Another pair of LL Bean day hikers I owned served me well for many years.

I agree that there is some risk in mail order hiking boots, but only if you don't purchase them from a reputable dealer and if, rather than sending boots back that don't fit, you try to tough it out.

at those prices for Soloman and Vasque boots you mention they would have been at a close out price, I did not consider close out prices because you never know what you can find. Also Sierra Trading post is primarly a dealer in close outs and seconds, which is not a bad way to buy if you can find your size and a proper fit. Over the years I have seen many people buy boots through the mail and have problems with them and like you say.

Sure they can be sent back if they don't fit right, but if you have to send them back 5 or 6 times just to get a pair of boots that fits, to my way of thinking were is the savings form buying mail order. A good boot will last many years so it is worth the effort to spend some time trying them on and comparing them to other boots side by side. I buy most of my boots mail order. The key is that if it doesn't fit right, send it back.

Too many people don't want to be bothered doing this and wear the boots, despite fit problems.

THe other problem is people that are new to hiking do not understand what the proper fit is in a hiking boot, I have to say it, a very large number of new hikers would come into the store that had never owned a pair of hiking boots and complain that thier toes did not come close enought to the front of the boot.

Which is a good thing in a hiking boot. When a new hiker buy through the mail they do not have anyone to help them with fit issues.

As far as L L Bean, I just do not consider them a big player in the boot market.

They are a mail order based company which limits there distribution which limits thier market share, which limits the money they have to spend on R & D.

I love Sierra Trading Post. I bought a pair of mid-weight Vasque boots at the store last summer for quite cheap. Now I plan to mail order more of the same. I figure I found a good one that fits, so I'll just keep ordering it. Becasue they are a close out store, they often have the odd sizes too.

I've been extremely pleased with my Clarks Wilderness sandals. They are comfortable like no other sandal I've worn. Unfortunately, it looks like they've been discontinued. Clarks makes a whole line of sandals for men and women and most of the outdoor outfitters carry them.

THe other problem is people that are new to hiking do not understand what the proper fit is in a hiking boot, I have to say it, a very large number of new hikers would come into the store that had never owned a pair of hiking boots and complain that thier toes did not come close enought to the front of the boot.

Which is a good thing in a hiking boot. When a new hiker buy through the mail they do not have anyone to help them with fit issues

Me in a nutshell. Thanks. Too bad I've worn the LL Beans for a couple of hikes, I guess I'm stuck with them...

What's the deal with ankle support? Why is it that when I'm walking I don't need it, but when I'm hiking (which is, as far as I can tell, mostly walking), I suddenly do?

Which is a good thing in a hiking boot. When a new hiker buy through the mail they do not have anyone to help them with fit issues

Me in a nutshell. Thanks. Too bad I've worn the LL Beans for a couple of hikes, I guess I'm stuck with them...

What's the deal with ankle support? Why is it that when I'm walking I don't need it, but when I'm hiking (which is, as far as I can tell, mostly walking), I suddenly do?

When you are hiking you may find yourself on uneven terrain, like a hill side, this will put added lateral stress on your ankles, if this result in a sprained ankle you ware going to be in a lot of trouble trying to get out of the area. When you are hiking in for a cache you really do not know what you are about to get into. I also use a pair of hiking poles,these come in real handy on steep terrain.

You should also stay away from cotton sick, these can cause blisters.