Logging A Benchmark...

Nick_T

Did a search of the benchmarks local to me and one that was found has pictures of the benchmark and it's location that makes it where I could find it by just walking up to it without any help. I know that I don't have any want to find this'en now but there's plenty of others in the area that'll make it easy to chose another. What I'm asking is that is it common to pretty much "claim" a benchmark by posting the info and images like this. I ain't griping, just don't want to make a mistake when logging one. There's plenty to go around.

Nick T

Nick T -

Most benchmark hunters will post a photo of the mark itself, as well as one or two pictures of the area around the mark, usually showing at least one of the environmental features in the description. Hunters do this for three reasons: First, to prove that they found the mark (although no one will doubt your claim of a find if you don't post a photo). Second, to assist other hunters in finding the mark, and, third, simply to post a photo that is interesting to someone else.

Some benchmark hunters never post or seldom post photos. That's no problem unless he or she starts claiming to have found many marks that no one else has been able to find.

Although another hunter has found and photographed a mark, you can still go find it and log it as well. There are hundreds of examples of marks with multiple posts and photos. Occasionally, one hunter will report a find and another hunter will come along and note that the first hunter erred in posting a find. See GO0497, for example. There, several hunters have photographed a 1992 disk and claimed a find on a mark that was monumented in the 1930's. And in reality, they found the "station" (exact place where the mark is supposed to be), but they did not find the mark, itself.

I prefer to hunt for marks that have not been found by any other Geocachers yet, but I won't pass up a find on a mark that has already been found. As a rule, however, I don't look at the photos ahead of time. That makes it too easy. I'll go back and look at another poster's photos if (1) I can't find the mark that he or she found, or (2) The mark I find does not match the description of the mark I was looking for. Occasionally, we all manage to "find" things that aren't there, and another hunter will often come along and note our error. That's OK, of course; makes you double-check your finds before posting.

Thanks for the reply. I think that I'm gonna concentrate on benchmarks when not geocaching with my kid. Seems a bit more difficult and I'm not in it for the swag anyhow. The fun is in the hunt. Now that I've got 2 of the 3 easy ones under my belt with one more easy one to visit that hasn't been logged then it's off to the RR tracks to see if I can locate the really tough ones. Funny to know that there's around 190 of these things within a 6 mile radius of my home and not even knowing it 'til now. That's a really cool bit of history laying out in the middle of nowhere just waiting for someone to find.

But anyhow, Thanks again.

Nick T

Nick T -

Use caution if you're going hunting along railroad tracks. Other hunters (especially the pros) advise that the railroads often don't look kindly on people trespassing on their rights of way. From time to time I'll hunt on a right of way, but only if I'm sure I have very easy access (like near a road crossing), and I have the opportunity to beat a hasty retreat if I have to.

Like most hunters, I generally avoid railroad rights of way, interstate highways and residential private property. Unless, of course, I think I can get on and off without creating a disturbance.

Thanks for the tip. Had a run-in with the railroad police back when I was a kid, and the visit was for something that I didn't even do. I do remember that they were kinda (er,ummm) "serious" about their job. We've got some very isolated crossings around here that I think I can get by with looking around. Livin in a pretty rual area has its' advantages.

Nick T

I heartily concur about the railroad trespassing. Railroad police are not just rent-a-cops. They are actual police and can fine you and even arrest you. Some railroads are known to be hardcases about trespassing and others look more lightly upon it, but all are nervous about trespassers and always have been. The majority of marks in my area seem to be on railroads so I have gotten used to trespassing to find them, but I am constantly on the lookout and trust in luck and my good looks and charming wit in case I am caught. This may or not work though, so I could be getting bailed out of jail at some point.