Delorme Topo 5.0 Now Shipping!

I have ben very happy with Delorme Street Atlas 2004 and the Handheld edition. I have been holding off on some mountain treks until Topo 5.0 was released. It offers 3-D Topo maps as well as the ability to download the maps to yor handheld. I'm not if the maps download in 3-d, but I will find out in 5 days when I get my order.

If it does download the maps in 3-d, then this is a must buy for those who use a PDA to assist in the Geocaching experience.

I have ben very happy with Delorme Street Atlas 2004 and the Handheld edition. I have been holding off on some mountain treks until Topo 5.0 was released. It offers 3-D Topo maps as well as the ability to download the maps to yor handheld. I'm not if the maps download in 3-d, but I will find out in 5 days when I get my order.

If it does download the maps in 3-d, then this is a must buy for those who use a PDA to assist in the Geocaching experience.

I ordered one also the eastern U.S. for 50 bucks. You can return it if you don't like it.

Also I downloaded the manual for it and checked it out. It seems great for the price.

I have no idea what the priority code is, but I saw the link on their website thought that it may be the same thing as the coupon code they sent me by email. When I went to the site and typed it in it showed the same prices I saw when I followed the link I was given in the email..

No thanks is necessary. Just pay it forward

Hopefully this program is going to be good. I talked to a costumer service person and he mentioned their 3D quad topo 2.0 maps are better detailed. They are actual scanned maps of USGS. And the have the same GPS funtions.

I didn't know they had those. Their $99.00 a state. I just hope the detail is good and the mapping is accurate.

I think you can access those same images with the free $50 worth of imagry. I guess it's $1 a square Km. I'll need less than that for my trip coming up. I can't image how much better the maps can look after see what TOPO 5 can do.

I just got back from the Delorme company in Me.

And I got to play with the new 5.0. It is loaded with stuff to do all kinds of things. It has USB support for Garmins also.

It does have the best up to date streets also but yoiu can't get info on restruarnts,etc.

It's for hikeing mostley. But for $ 60.00 I'll try it. You can do a lot with gps transfers,and map making.

You also can buy a DVD of all the arial packets. Buying by the DVD is about $.06 a sq. kilo. vs. $ 1.00.

I say packets,because when you download them you get 3 layers of info. 1. arial photo. 2. USGS Quad Map 3.Satellite imageing.

Like I said it's quite a sophisicated program.

Mine should be coming by Thur.

Edited by capt caper

does anyone know how long that coupon code is good for? i may just get the eastern CDs but really wanted the dvd so i dont have to tote disks around with me. how many cd's per region are there? i like how the delorme street program i have has the cd extraction to put the whole map on your pc so you dont have to deal with the cds. i would imagine theres way too much data on the topo for this feature though.

how many cd's per region are there? i like how the delorme street program i have has the cd extraction to put the whole map on your pc so you dont have to deal with the cds.

nevermind...

Each regional edition includes an install disc and three regional CDs, along with the Bonus Imagery CD and $50 of Free Satellite/Aerial Imagery Downloads.

I have Topo 4.0 and like what you can do with it, but I agree it has a wierd interface which can make it hard to do what you want. From looking at thescreen shots of 5.0 I don't think they have improved it either.

Edited by AllenLacy
I want to like their products, but the Topo series has a terrible confusing user interface. It is maddening.

I just got my 5.0 and find the interface confusing also. Trying to save and find waypoints,tracks etc. Also I can't find a list of waypoints. They are just symbols on the map.

Also the detail is off alot compared to NGTopo's.

I've got 30 days so I may return it if the 3D Quad does similiar funtions with GPS. I'm' not sure about the arial. I haven't tried it yet. But it is expensive.

I have Topo 4.0 and like what you can do with it, but I agree it has a wierd interface which can make it hard to do what you want. From looking at thescreen shots of 5.0 I don't think they have improved it either.

I've spent hours trying to make a route and send it to the gps. I can't seem to get it. I get the route with via points showing on the map but it won't send it. Just the two start and finish points with no name. So two points in the waypoint list and no name in the route area. But on the map it has 120 via points showing.

It is alot different than others I've used. At this point I don't like it of course.The arials don't show trails at all and I don't care about the other things to see like lakes,roads,etc.

Edited by capt caper

I have Street Atlas 2004, and compared to Streets & Trips, SA'04's interface was cumbersome to use. It looks like Topo 5 has the same interface. That said, when I did finally learn to use it, I now prefer it to S&T. It does a better job of auto-routing, which is what I got the software for.

I just ordered Topo 5 with the priority code (thanks!!) because I'm flabbergasted I can get the entire country for that much. It's not only a great value but being comfortable using SA'04, I don't think it will pose as much of a problem for me as it is for the poor old capt. :-(

I have Street Atlas 2004, and compared to Streets & Trips, SA'04's interface was cumbersome to use. It looks like Topo 5 has the same interface. That said, when I did finally learn to use it, I now prefer it to S&T. It does a better job of auto-routing, which is what I got the software for.

I just ordered Topo 5 with the priority code (thanks!!) because I'm flabbergasted I can get the entire country for that much. It's not only a great value but being comfortable using SA'04, I don't think it will pose as much of a problem for me as it is for the poor old capt. :-(

I'm getting there mate. I been a busy boy. I can make and load routes now, and there was a trail missing on the map so I loaded my saved active track from that hike and loaded into T5 as a trail and saved.

I just would like now to find an easy way of getting rid of those large via point boxs on map. I'd like to change them to a simple c1 c2 etc. without haveing to go one by one though them all. NGTopo lets me do that.

It's just a matter of learning a complex program like this. I'm still not sure if the arial pic's are worth the price. At least on my buget.

I find it's growing on me and now it's a case of how accurate the info to the gps is. i.e. summits, known trails,etc. compared to topo which wasn't too bad right off the map.

Capt.

For those who want topo maps for the whole country, try www.expertgps.com It gets you raster images of USGS topo maps (best in the world), for the entire country, along with B&W air photos for the entire country for only $60. Updates are free for life. The demo is fully functional for 30 days, so try it out. It also works better with your gps than ANY other program there is.

Basically it downloads the maps & photos from the Terraserver and caches them on your hard drive. If your worried about the Terraserver going away, don't its funded by the USGS.

Thank you for your interest in DeLorme products. We recognize that many of our loyal customers have posted priority codes on the Internet for discounts on Topo USA 5.0. Rather than using the codes that have been posted we ask that you use the following:

http://www.delorme.com/redirect/specialoffer.asp?code=6246

This link will provide the same pricing opportunities to you as the other links and codes, while allowing us to properly track our marketing efforts.

Thank you.

DeLorme Marketing

What is the differance between the national and region Cds?

That's what I've been wondering, too. Given the price difference, I suppose it's the same detail either way; it's just a matter of getting the whole U.S. versus just the Eastern or Western half.

Actually, I'm more interested in the difference between TopoUSA versus their 3-D TopoQuads state maps. I'm assuming that TopoQuads offers more detail, but how much? What is TopoUSA missing in detail that TopoQuads has?

Edited by Jeeters

Now I get it... TopoUSA is vector based and TopoQuads is raster based. http://www.aldhawest.org/gazette/V5_2_DigitalMapping.html, plus a few other googled pages, gives a decent laymans comparison between the two.

Given that I already get the rasters with ExpertGPS, TopoQuads doesn't look all that useful to me (I can do without it's fancy extra features). I think I'm going to get this promo copy of TopoUSA, though, since I wouldn't mind having access to the extra street detail that it gives which I sometimes get frustrated with when looking at the USGS maps in ExpertGPS.

Edited by Jeeters

How does it compare to National Geographic Topo the state series? These have the 24K quad maps from USGS.

Are the DeLorme's interpretative extensions of contour lines or actual?

Can you download maps into a Pocket PC (PPC)with actual waypoints amd wathc your position if you have a GPs hooked into your PPC?

Tks.

Alan

The benefit of the Delorme is that it is vector based (like a cad drawing) That is to say it has all the lat/lon info stored as data. When you look at a specific place, the software looks up all of the data and draws a map of it on the screen for you (which it does in like a second). Since the info is stored as data, you can add more (like literally adding a new road), or use the data to create routes.

Every other maping software is based on storing thousands of scanned images of paper maps.

As far as comparing it to National Geographic Topo, I think the Topo USA allows you to zoom down to the 1:15k level, but there is some what less detail.

The contour lines are somewhat interpretative as you can see here:

(note the scale in the lower left corner 1" = 250 feet)

Contour lines

but Topo USA also allows you to vie the area in 3D as shown here:

3D

And of couurse, your getting the whole us for $60.

If you just want to print good looking maps, National Geographic Topo may be better.

If you want a map you can add to, use for routing, and be very interactive with, Topo usa is the way to go.

You can download the maps to a Pocket PC and use them with an attached or BT GPS, but you will need Street Atlas 2004 Handheld also which is about $30. I have then both and they are awesome. I can fit the whole state of Utah on a 64 mb card (40mb) in street atlas. You get a much smaller space for 40mb in Topo.