Your links to cheap ammo boxes and the sort

Ruprex

Hey folks, I'm looking for YOUR links to companies that sell ammo cans and Decon containers. Actually, I'm looking for links for cheap containers of any kind that you've used for geocaching.

Here's a cool link that I recently found for magnets. I've ordered a bunch of magnets for the use on my small caches in the Urban Assault series. I like to plant these things in urban areas and plan on putting magnets on small plastic containers so they'll stick to metal.

http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/main.shtml

-Let's play Global Thermonuclear War-

Sir Plus Supply in Rochester, NY area.... serving geocachers since, ummm, since there was geocaching. Supplying cachers with fine ammo cans at least as far south as Pittsburgh, and as far east as Connecticut. Home of the $4.00 50mm can. Be nice and Steve will toss in an extra mortar tube or decon container with your order.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Of course www.cheaperthandirt.com sells a 6 pack of the .30 cal ammo boxes for $18.

And for extremely powerful magnets, try the rare-earth magnets from Lee Valley Tools. You can get 5 of them for 8.95 (the price just went up) and these suckers stick!

And the site Criminal posted has good prices for the plastic decon boxes which make nearly perfect small cache containers (I have about 50 of them at home which I purchased at rangersupply.com before they tripled the price for them).

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
This site is inexpensive too, and the owner knows what geocaching is. They can't (yet) do online orders but you can call with your CC info.

Hay, that guy is about 15 miles from my house and it's where I get all my ammo cans. He also has decon boxes, mortar tubes and saw boxes. He has all sizes of boxes right up to trailers. I don't go there until I have some time to kill, boy does he love to talk and he has some great stories to tell too. Gee, I wonder how he found about geocaching? hee! hee! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Cracker

The one I was talking about is Spruce mt. surplus which Criminal referred to. And no he doesn't have a store front. Most of his business is either internet or trade shows. If you drop by he's usually there but it would be better to call first. You'll be more than welcome to look around and check out his stuff. Come think of it I better call him, he was looking for some screw top mortar tubes for me. He has the twist lock ones on the shelf but I don't like them, not all cachers twist then enough so they lock.

quote:
Originally posted by Ruprex:

Hey folks, I'm looking for YOUR links to companies that sell ammo cans and Decon containers. Actually, I'm looking for links for cheap containers of any kind that you've used for geocaching.

Every ammo box I have came from The Sportsman's Guide.

I like them not only for their interesting selection of stuff and good prices, but because they have the best people working the phones of any company I've ever dealt with.

If you happen to need ammo, you can often get an ammo box included free (ammo in an ammo box...how novel), and other times they have specials on lots of 4 or 5 boxes at a time.

ApK

quote:
Why the big push for ammo cans?

They are pretty much waterproof, highly animal resistant (maybe a grizz can breach one), inexpensive and easily painted in a variety of camoflage patterns.

Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers aren't leakproof, they crack in cold weather and are easily chewed by animals (most of the Rubbermaind caches I've placed were eventually destroyed by animals). Besides they aren't totally clear, so they aren't in compliance with those agencies that require clear containers anyway.

A clearly labeled ammo box shouldn't cause alarm if accidently discovered (which they shouldn't be anyway if the cach owner did his job). Besides, even Tupperware caches have been known to draw the bomb squads out, so there's no guarantee that using Tupperware/Rubbermaid will prevent the public from being "freaked out".

I think another (and rarely mentioned) advantage of ammo boxes is that a cache owner is a lot less likely to abandon his cache if it's in a ammo box. If he puts a cache in a 50 cent Gladware container, he may not give a hoot about what happens to it. Because ammo boxes have a multitude of uses, they are more likely to retreive it when the cache reaches the end of its life.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on February 27, 2003 at 09:57 AM.]