O.c. Bomb Squad Blows Up Geocache!

However, there will still be instances of them being blown up until enough notification gets around to every police department such they ask the prospective informant, "What are the coordinates of your presumed bomb? Let us check GC.com--nope, it's just part of a yada-yada..."

But, through the Homeland Security Office of 18 billion federal employees this info should now be known. Too many situations in recent history. Slow down, take a deep breath and check the bulletin board back at the HQ.

B)

When it comes to what to write on the outside of a cache container, I can sympathise with those people who don't want to put their phone numbers in case of wierdos and cranks.

In the UK we have a solution to that: the Geocachers Association of Great Britain runs a telephone number contact line that cachers can put on the outside of their caches. This means that anyone thinking about blowing up a container can ring the number first and start a process that will end up with the cache owner being put back in contact with the person calling. It isn't perfect, but its better than nothing.

Details here

Just out of curiosity, what would make someone think that a bomb was adjacent to a greenbelt? I'm not familiar with southern CA, but if greenbelts there are like greenbelts here, they aren't places where a lot of people normally hang out. Usually they're empty, so what would be the purpose of planting a bomb? Scaring the wildlife? A little bit of common sense does go a long way.

My granddaughter and I hit this cache the day before. It was well placed and I didn't see any candy in the find. However I thought it this was pretty funny incident. :tired:

Well at least people are on the alert. Maybe a Geocache sticker on the outside would help identify it better.

Later.....

Just out of curiosity, what would make someone think that a bomb was adjacent to a greenbelt?

The operative term there is "think." I've noticed a disturbing trend where people stop thinking and just start reacting. Or, in some cases, overreacting.

For example: How much time and money is wasted at airports doing random searches on 80-year-old ladies? We need to stop pandering to the groups that might be offended, and start doing stuff that might actually help prevent terrorism.

Just ask yourself: What Would Spock Do? :tired:

Edited by Indiana Cojones