A Sad Day For The World Of Geocaching

JoGPS

I was out last night caching with cccooper ( Lynn ) on a five, five cache we were talking afterwards while resting before going on to the next one and was quite shocked ( not really ) I know where she was coming from. That after she got on that big bird Friday and flew back home she was never going to geocache again.

She has told me this before that after she found the first 200 caches the hate email and the slander on the forums started by the ones that post instead of hunting. She has stayed away from posting here because it seems like a lot of people like to take pot shots at her, she’s has had enough.

Its bad enough to lose the number one cacher in the world, BTW she hit 5,000 caches found while in Nashville this week. But to also loose someone that truly loves the sport and has worked with many parks systems for placing caches for everyone to find and hide in.

I am very proud to call her my friend and will stay in touch with, and stick by her now in her time of despair brought on by the nay sayers.

Don’t worry she is not going back home and do a geocide , she has way Tooooooo much class for that. ……………… JOE

And to trash her now as she is leaving would show your true colors

I have never met Lynn but I have met Joe, and if he says that she is what she says then I believe it.

Lynn, Thanks for all your hard, selfless work for this sport. For all those that malign you just shows that they are jealous, insecure and petty. May God above smile on you and frown on all that slander you.

As the cache reviewer for CCCooper's home state, I was tipped off very recently about Lynn's retirement plans when I wrote to her about some cache maintenance issues. She plans on archiving several of her caches in order to free up the area for hides by others.

As a geocacher I will miss seeing the CCCooper name in the logs. As a reviewer, however, I must admit that I will not miss the piles of microcaches in my review queue!

I suppose 5,000 is as good of a number to stop at as any. I wish CCCooperAgency well!

why would people take potshots at her because she has a lot of finds? jealousy? that is just so high school. i hope it's a joke or not true. keep racking up those finds CC.

I do it because I'm a mean-spirited troll..... :bad: .....and I love a good April Fool's joke just like the next troll...errr, ummm....guy! ;);):P

I wish it was a joke. I have enjoyed caching with Lynn on several occassions. I was there last night after we crawled out of that cave. My jaw hit the floor when she announced that she was hanging up her caching shoes. I even made a wise crack about her giving the rest of us a chance to catch up. I felt like a total fool when I looked at her and saw the tears in her eyes. Big dumb monkey, open mouth, insert foot.

After talking about it over dinner, I can understand it. She has run hard for a long time, and she says she is just tired. She plans to spend more time with her family and just take it easy. Apparently she has been a little burnt out for awhile, but she wanted to hit her final goal before she took her bow.

To answer the question from earlier, the party is still on, we had already set it up. She was going to make the announcement there, but decided that she should give us a heads up, so we would not ruin the party by trying to talk her out of it. I can understand that too. She has made a serious accomplishment, reached the pinnacle of our sport and she would like to celebrate not just her 5000th cache, but to remember a period of life with some of the friends she has met along the trail.

The first time I met Lynn, I had 450 finds. I was invited to hunt with her, SBUX, JoGps and Southpaw. I was a little awe-struck to be caching with such legends. She welcomed me in and valued my skills and opinions on their face, not on the fact that I had less than 1/6th of her finds. I have met many other cachers who judge solely on the number of finds that you have, Lynn judges you based on the quality of her character. The sport has lost it's brightest light, but I have found a friend who I will cherish, whether she is chasing tupperware or not.

Tonight, I am going to celebrate my friend's achievement, she is undoubtedly the best geocacher in the world.

why would people take potshots at her because she has a lot of finds?  jealousy?  that is just so high school.  i hope it's a joke or not true.  keep racking up those finds CC.

I do it because I'm a mean-spirited troll..... ;) .....and I love a good April Fool's joke just like the next troll...errr, ummm....guy! :P:P:bad:

yeah, but you're just a wet cat, or cheesehead, or heck i don't know what you are today. :D;)

I was in that cave with CC as well! I dug her out when the roof collapsed and I did it because she was fun to be with and also one heck of a lady! She scratches some mean ears! ;) I'll miss her if she truly is quitting! I was totally shocked when she said that! I howled almost all night I was so shocked and sad! :bad: Please don't leave us, Cooper!

After talking about it over dinner, I can understand it. She has run hard for a long time, and she says she is just tired. She plans to spend more time with her family and just take it easy. Apparently she has been a little burnt out for awhile, but she wanted to hit her final goal before she took her bow.

She has told me this before that after she found the first 200 caches the hate email and the slander on the forums started by the ones that post instead of hunting. She has stayed away from posting here because it seems like a lot of people like to take pot shots at her, she’s has had enough.

Well which is it? Is she burned out from the incredible pace she's kept up for the past few years, or is she tired of people questioning her methods in he forums?

I have to think its the former, because if it was the latter, she would have quit long ago. Besides, I doubt she's the type of person who would confuse the sport of geocaching with these forums. She's too smart for that.

Is this a crack at those who have questioned her finds? Or is this an attempt to shut people up who would point out some issues that if you put it to a vote here in the forums would reduce her count?

Many of us have kept our mouths shut because we have couth. Today, I'm throwing that out the window. Would you log a find on a traditional claiming it as a virt because you couldn't find and assumed it was missing? See here for we originally handled it.

April Fools or not. I'm tired of people saying how great of an accomplishment it is to rack up these kinds of numbers all the while knowing I've had to ask that she address a logging irregularity on one of my caches.

I don't really care how many finds you have, you don't cheat on one of my caches. I've had private communications with others stating they've seen this problem in other areas, as well. I'm not going to name names, so don't ask. If they want to stay anonymous, I can respect that. If I'm the only that pipes, then so be it. Sorry for being an *ss, but I just had to get this off my chest.

It'd be awful embarrassing celebrating a milestone that didn't happen.

I hope this  is just a bad joke.

Me too, BUT.....

Did anyone notice it looks like BruceS has also quit, or at least taken a 5 month break?

Yes, I noticed about a month ago. He has not been in chat while I was there to ask him what is happening either. His hiatus unfortunately is not an April fools joke.

:bad:

Yes, I noticed about a month ago. He has not been in chat while I was there to ask him what is happening either. His hiatus unfortunately is not an April fools joke.

Personally, I don't see how someone with 3, 4 or 5 thousand finds can't be burned out. When you average more finds a day than most people bag in a month or two, I don' see there being time for much else....esp. with the travelling involved once you've cleaned out your home area.

Edited by briansnat
I hope this  is just a bad joke.

Me too, BUT.....

Did anyone notice it looks like BruceS has also quit, or at least taken a 5 month break?

:bad:

He was in chat briefly within the last week or so. He only stayed a few minutes though. I had been worried about him.

Well which is it? Is she burned out from the incredible pace she's kept up for the past few years, or is she tired of people questioning her methods in he forums?

I cannot attest to what she may have told Joe in private, my impression from our conversation at the Cracker Barrel was that she was burnt out. I am sure that the hate mail and forum bashing had something to do with it. How could it not? Even now that she is retiring she gets slammed. All I can say is that it shows alot about the character of a person, when they cannot even allow someone to bow out gracefully.

I have been known in the past to argue on the forums, but at least I have had the grace and good sense to keep my dadgum mouth shut sometimes. I find it repulsive that as we try to celebrate the end of a VERY bright caching career some bonehead can't resist taking a parting shot. I am sure that he is very popular at funerals, delivering his "Our dear departed friend, that lying bastard, he's probably not even dead" eulogy.

At the end of the day it is JUST A GAME, if you can't let someone retire in peace, without pulling out an old axe to grind, what kind of person are you?

I apologize for derailing this thread I am embarassed that I am even dignifying the offending post with a response. But this kind of pettiness makes me mad.

EDIT: To point out that even though I quoted briansnat I was just answering his question, he is not the one that made me want to break something.

Edited by Monkeybrad

Personally, I don't see how someone with 3, 4 or 5 thousand finds can't be burned out. When you average more finds a day than most people bag in a month or two, I don' see there being time for much else....esp. with the travelling involved once you've cleaned out your home area.

Personally, I don't see how someone with 3, 4 or 5 thousand posts can't be burned out. When you average more posts a day than most people post in a month or two, I don' see there being time for much else....esp. with the typing involved once you've cleaned off your desk. :bad:

Personally, I don't see how someone with 3, 4 or 5 thousand posts can't be burned out. When you average more posts a day than most people post in a month or two, I don' see there being time for much else....esp. with the typing involved once you've cleaned off your desk

Hey, an average of 6.7 post a day is hardly excessive. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2.7 in the evening.

At the end of the day it is JUST A GAME, if you can't let someone retire in peace, without pulling out an old axe to grind, what kind of person are you?

How do you retire from a game? Please don't give me the MLB/NBA/NFL analogy - that's not a game - that's work.

I'm not sure why this is a reason to get worked up over. People with less finds quit all the time. I thought number didn't matter...

southdeltan

I was out last night caching with cccooper ( Lynn ) on a five, five cache we were talking afterwards while resting before going on to the next one and was quite shocked ( not really ) I know where she was coming from. That after she got on that big bird Friday and flew back home she was never going to geocache again.

Its bad enough to lose the number one cacher in the world, BTW she hit 5,000 caches found while in Nashville this week. But to also loose someone that truly loves the sport and has worked with many parks systems for placing caches for everyone to find and hide in.

I am very proud to call her my friend and will stay in touch with, and stick by her now in her time of despair brought on by the nay sayers.

Don’t worry she is not going back home and do a geocide , she has way Tooooooo much class for that. ……………… JOE 

JoeGPS you are lucky to have spent so much time on the trails with her. I only had one opportunity to share a trail with the CCCooper clan. Last June they visited Raleigh for our Flag Day event. Funny thing was, she sat on the trail playing solitare while the kids were in the brush searching for the containers and flag markers. :bad:

I'm really looking forward to my Nashville trek later this month. I may have to add that 5/5 to the list as a memorial find. ;)

Personally, I don't see how someone with 3, 4 or 5 thousand posts can't be burned out. When you average more posts a day than most people post in a month or two, I don' see there being time for much else....esp. with the typing involved once you've cleaned off your desk

Hey, an average of 6.7 post a day is hardly excessive. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2.7 in the evening.

That's what I keep telling the wife...of course, my average is 7.50 posts per day, so I must be gaining on you! :bad: