Which To Buy? 60c Or 76c?

I notice that:

* it floats

* has dual-posiition display mode

I don't really see any disadvantages - it's a bit bigger.  But for $50, you double the memory.

Thanks for that, but what is dual-position display mode? Also, would I be correct in thinking that the 76c comes with an "auto-route'able" base map preloaded, i.e. don't need to obtain additional maps to auto-route?

I should have mentioned that I live in the UK and the 76c is going to be approx. $120 to $130 more expensive hear. Don't really want to pay that much extra for double the memory.

Thanks again

Thanks for that, but what is dual-position display mode? Also, would I be correct in thinking that the 76c comes with an "auto-route'able" base map preloaded, i.e. don't need to obtain additional maps to auto-route?

I believe that may be landscape/portrait, but I'm not sure. As for the auto-route, the 60-series does the same, but the basemap does not have all side streets, just major roads and highways.

I have a 60CS and it is a very impressive GPS. However, based on their respective webpages, it does look like the 76C(S) has a better autorouting basemap.

If you can stand the physical size of the unit, it looks like the 76 series is going to be an even better line of GPSr's than the 60 series.

I believe that may be landscape/portrait, but I'm not sure.  As for the auto-route, the 60-series does the same, but the basemap does not have all side streets, just major roads and highways.

Can I just confirm that I DON'T need to upload any city select stuff into a 60c in order to use auto-routing?? So, using just the pre-installed base map I could auto-route from one town/ city to another?? WOW!!! If that's true then that's all I need!

No experience with the 76 but ergonomically it seems that the 60 would be better for a handheld. I often use mine one-handed and the 76 has it's buttons above the screen. It appears that one handed use would be much more natural with the buttons below the screeen like the 60C. Different strokes - the double memory would be nice though.

No experience with the 76 but ergonomically it seems that the 60 would be better for a handheld.  I often use mine one-handed and the 76 has it's buttons above the screen.  It appears that one handed use would be much more natural with the buttons below the screeen like the 60C.  Different strokes - the double memory would be nice though.

I owned the 76s and tried the 60c in the store.

Here's my 2cents (and maybe it's because i was used to the 76 series)

I like the buttons above the screen because my thumb is at the top of my hand when I hold the gps, therefore I have a solid grip of the unit and I don't have to strain as much to reach the buttons.

Just feels better in my hand.

To further answer your question, double the memory was the biggest improvement!

Edited by Us 5 Camp
Apart from the extra memory installed, what reasons are there for buying the 'soon to be available' Garmin 76c over the 'already available' 60c?

Any answers greatfully received

5 Balls

*Garmins Claim*

Expected Availability:

Second Quarter 2004

Havening been a Garmin dealer for many years, if they claim Second Quarter 2004, You can figure October. They are always late. I remember the GPSV was so late we forget we even had it on order ;) As I recall that one was about 6 monts late.

I let not forget, when they ship the new 76's there will be some other GPS on their web site will more features you will want, and again they will claim it is just about to be shipped. THis has been there routine for years and years. :P

No experience with the 76 but ergonomically it seems that the 60 would be better for a handheld. I often use mine one-handed and the 76 has it's buttons above the screen. It appears that one handed use would be much more natural with the buttons below the screeen like the 60C. Different strokes - the double memory would be nice though.

I was concerned about those buttons above the screen before I got my 76, but it turned out not to be a problem at all. I am extremely pleased with it. If I were going to buy a new GPS, it would certainly be the 76C.

I know a Garmin V owner who wants to buy something better, and for whom money is not an issue. He decided to sail to Alaska with his old V and buy the new 76C when he comes back in the fall, rather than buy a 60C now.

I like the buttons above the screen because my thumb is at the top of my hand when I hold the gps, therefore I have a solid grip of the unit and I don't have to strain as much to reach the buttons.

Easy one-hand operation with buttons on the top. Awkward with buttons on the bottom.

Here's a brief comparison of the specs (I, too, am looking at a replacement unit):

Garmin 60CS

------------

160 x 240 pixels, 256-color transreflective TFT display (1.5" W x 2.2" H)

56 MB

2.4" x 6.1" x 1.3" (W x H x D)

7.5 ounces (with batteries)

Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards

(can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)

Antenna built-in quadrifilar with external antenna connection (MCX)

Garmin 76CS

------------

160 x 240 pixels, 256-color transreflective TFT display (1.5" W x 2.2" H)

115 MB

2.7" x 6.2" x 1.4" (W x H x D)

7.6 ounces (with batteries)

Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards

(can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)

Built-in quad-helix antenna with remote antenna capability

The 76 is slightly larger but does not have that clumsy looking antenna stub. Different antenna configuration but probably similar performance. 56 MB is not much memory these days and 115 MB will be marginal by the time these units are released. Too bad Garmin is against memory cards.

Too bad Garmin is against memory cards.

I have a 512 SD card in my Garmin iQue. ;)

For about the same price as the 60 and 76 series, it does everything + voice Promts and a Palm. I can watch a movie, listen to music, autoroute, sync e-mail, etc. and geocache all in one unit.

ique.gif

Edited by FlashMaster
Too bad Garmin is against memory cards.

I have a 512 SD card in my Garmin iQue. :P

I was wondering when someone would mention the iQue. ;) Yes, Garmin realized that a PDA without a memory card would be fairly useless, proving that they could put them in GPS receivers if they wanted to. The iQue is a nice device but, unfortunately, lacks the battery life and ruggedness needed for serious field use. I use a PDA-phone combo device for field use and can attest to the limitations.

For about the same price as the 60 and 76 series, it does everything + voice Promts and a Palm.  I can watch a movie, listen to music, autoroute, sync e-mail, etc. and geocache all in one unit.

And the battery is lasting 30 hours ??

Yeah the LCD sucks up the power fast on the iQue.

If I set it to about 1/4 brightness and have the screen turn off while navigating (GPS on, LCD off), I get about 5 hours of use. Then plug in the portable battery chager (universal Palm charger using 4 AAs).

Without the GPS on, just PDA functions I can get a few days of use.

I've never had a GPS on and in use for 30 hours so it's no problem for me. When I geocache it's usually only on for a couple of hours at a time.

Edited by FlashMaster

I owned 2 76S's one of which I gave to my son. Now I own the 60cs.

I find the CS growing on me. It's smaller feeling than the 76 and I feel I can let the antenna stick up though the cases for better reception. The buttons on the bottom are much better for not blocking the screen but they are smaller and I wonder about useing them with gloves on.

Anyway the amount of memory is fine for me. Since with the USB it loads so fast anyway.

I think the 76 is more streamlined and suitable for motorcyles,cars,boats. I think the 60cs is great for hiking. It's not as wide and can be stuffed into tight places.

I thought it is lighter than the 76.

Nice unit though...........yea................ Garmin..........