Good Day Bm Hunting

kc2ixe

Had a good day hunting today - went and looked for 4 marks - 2 "Not founds", 2 "recovered goods", one of which had not been recovered in 12 years, the other 52 years!!!

One of the "Not founds" - I know exactly where it WAS/IS (slate door sill), but the sill is totally worn out since 1932, and is totally covered with an anti slip coating - who knows if the mark (chiseled square) is still under the coating, or worn away

I will bet it is.

They usually did them to the right or left of the main entrance.

I have found a couple.One was under a row of brick.

Congrats on your finds......welcome to our addddddddiiiicciitttioonnnn

Yep - to the left of the door, however, only in slate (bluestone), and 52 years since last recovery is a LONG time

Edited by kc2ixe
Yep it is but so is 70.

GG0052 CVII

not found,found,destroyed.

All the ones that I have found even the exposed ones were still legable from the 1800's

Oh, I agree, it's just that I know the bluestone the LIRR used, and in a spot like where it is (Like I said, I found the door sill), it's PROBABLY gone, or VERY faint. No matter WHAT, right now it's under an anti skid coating (it's partly flaking, but it's there)

I've got to borrow a digital camera - I've got 4 "landmark" stations that are GONE. The MOST interesting one is called "Little Neck Brown Stack" with NO description. Today, I found a 1910 photo of the location, and there is the stack - I have NO idea when this 90+ foot smokestack went away, but it's MORE than 35 years ago (as long as I can remember) - probably removed when the highway was put in that spot in 1939

YEAH! Welcome to benchmark hunting. Congratulations on your finds but also on the Not Founds! ;) (Sometimes the Not Founds are more work than the finds. As in the case of that stack and the research that you have done.)

Oh and by the way GEO*Trailblazer is wrong, wrong, wrong. NOTHING addictive about this hobby and of course NONE OF US are the least bit obsessive or compulive about it either. :bad:;)

Welcome and good hunting!