Brand New And Need Help

martiancadet

:( I have the Garmin eTrex Legend and I love it. As far as I know - the next model up (eTrex Vista) just contains more memory.

I know nothing about the Magellan, but wanted to get my opinion in about the Garmin.

Oh yeah - buying on eBay is a LOT cheaper. The eTrex Legend is currently $199 in WalMart, and I got mine for $150 (new) on eBay.

Edited by WhereRWe? & RULOST2?

I started with a Magellan 315 & really liked it's accuracy as well as its ability to retain satellite lock while under tree cover (not always but pretty good :( ) But I don't think it is a current model anymore,, if you can get a used one cheap then it'd be an excellent geocaching starting point.

The only reason I upgraded was because I wanted a GPSr with mapping capability that the 315 didn't provide.

Edited by IVxIV

I started with a 315 and liked it quite a bit. I have bought the yellow etrex for others and they liked those. I think the Garmin is easier to learn to use, but the magellan keeps satellite lock better under tree cover. You really can't go wrong with either one.

They are both fine units for geocaching. I like the compact size and ease of use of the eTrex. I agree with those who said you should consider the eTrex Legend. It's a full featured mapping unit at a very good price. If you look around it can be found for little more than the basic eTrex and the data cable comes free with the Legend. Its a $30 add on if you buy the basic eTrex.

You'll soon find the data cable to be a must, so figure that into the cost of any unit you buy.

Edited by briansnat

This is totally subjective, but when I held the eTrex in my hand, and then held the Magelan, the Magellan felt like a more durable unit. When caching with a friend who had brought an eTrex it did seem that the Magellan was holding lock better than the Garmin. Could have been freak circumstances though - certainly not a scientific analysis.

I think that no matter what unit you select you'll find pros and cons. For example, the Magellan "slingshot" effect I've grown to know and love :)I used to think mapping was a big feature, but for geocaching what you really need is good waypoint handling. A compass and a bearing is much more efficient than a mapping screen.

As long as the unit you select can plug into your PC, and fits your budget, chances are you will never look back.

I as yet have to purchase my GPS unit and would like to know which of these are better- the Garmain etrex or the magellan 315. And also do I need anything else to get started?

Thank You

martiancadet :(

Easy question to answer-get the 315. It's a rock solid little unit, and the one I had was dead-on accurate. The buttons are on the FRONT and are easy to see, unlike the Garmins, which have the buttons on the sides.

I as yet have to purchase my GPS unit and would like to know which of these are better- the Garmain etrex or the magellan 315. And also do I need anything else to get started?

Thank You

martiancadet :(

Easy question to answer-get the 315. It's a rock solid little unit, and the one I had was dead-on accurate. The buttons are on the FRONT and are easy to see, unlike the Garmins, which have the buttons on the sides.

...but who really needs to see them. Like my keyboard, where I know which keys are which by feel, I know which button is which. Other than the on/off, there's only four. Doesn't take much to figure out which is which and where it is.

Whichever you get, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

:D

You're a tadpole until you get 10 posts, then it switches to Geocacher. If you pay and become a premium member, you can put whatever you want under your avatar.

Look at the pinned messages at the top of this forum for how to post an avatar (in FAQ). Everyone has a warn meter, but you can only see your own. It won't go up unless you are rude etc. and the mods think you need warning. Hope this helps :D

Edited by Wacka
Get the legend you'll be happy, And they work great under tree cover. There small light weight and for geocaching you can't go

wrong.

I'm looking on the legend's description on Amazon, but its not telling me much.

Does the legend have a compass and altimeter??