Mapquest Links (improvement?)

ibycus

It occured to me that the links to the mapquest site could be made much more useful, if &zoom=7&size=big were added to the end of the auto-generated URL. This would auto-zoom the maps to a reasonable level (so one can actually get some idea of the context of the waypoint without manually zooming in)

size=big just makes the map a little bigger.

As an example,

This is the current way vs what I am proposing

What do people think? I personally can't see any disadvantage to it, although I am somewhat of a newbie to the sport, so maybe I am missing something.

The small size is nice for people with lower bandwidth. If you have a high band width connection it doesn’t take very long to click the "big map" button, but if you have low bandwidth it could take a while to load the bigger image.

If you are familiar with the city the cache is near, the closer zoom is nice. It makes it easy to find a street to park on. However, if you don't know the area, the big map will give you a better overview, allowing you to place the cache mentally with reference to somewhere you are more familiar with.

Map scale and size are something that varies from person to person. I think it may be best just to stick with the defaults.

Oops, Looks like Map quest got rid of it.

I like the Microsoft MapPoint maps. You can change size and zoom, and it uses cookies to store your preferences! … so if you like big maps, next time you click a link to a map... big map!

It also has street level maps of the US, Mexico, Canada, and most of Europe!

But it is the evil Microsoft Empire.

However, if you don't know the area, the big map will give you a better overview, allowing you to place the cache mentally with reference to somewhere you are more familiar with.

But which scenario is more common? I really don't know to be honest, but I would have thought that if you are planning on going after a particular cache, you would likely already have *some* idea of what city it's near.

The default zoom, even though I know Calgary relatively well tells me nothing about where abouts in calgary it actually is. There just aren't enough landmarks on the map for me... I guess If you're in the middle of nowheresville, it might give a better idea...

But the question remains, what is more common? somewhere near a city, or somewhere in the middle of nowhere? I really have no clue, as I say I really am new to the game. Maybe an option to let the cache owner decide on an appropiate zoom level?