Trashed Trail

I visited one of my caches yesterday after a long winter, and found the area at the trailhead (Wilson Creek Trail) on the BLM totally trashed: a big firepit full of half-burned beer cans, vodka and related bottles all over, and half burned paper scattered around. We're lucky there wasn't a huge fire. A partially burned Biology book from Canon City High School tells me who the culprits were. I was very disappointed, and cleaned up the mess as best I could. I also called the BLM ranger for the area, and he indicated he had just dispatched fire trucks in Chafee county as a result of another teen drinking binge. I know not much can be done, but I just wanted to vent my frustration with the despoiling of this lovely area.

I can sympathize with you :( We have BLM land near us (former Ft Ord on the Central CA Coast) that has an abundance of trash. Not so much wild orgie parties, but usually illegal dumping and vandalism of the old buildings on the former Army base. I CITO what I can when I'm back caching/hiking/biking, but things like washers and dryers are going to have to wait for the volunteers from the nearby University :D