Caching In Pa State Game Lands

PSUPAUL

Salvelinus, my intention was not for a number of angry phone calls; that is not even close to being articulate. Instead, a formal meeting of a couple of people sitting down on both sides.

No angry phone calls; riots; mobs -- as noted, they just make the entire thing much worse. Even if the verdict is a solid "no" to geocaching, at least we know what's going on.

Hope my thoughts came across much clearer.

Thanks!

- JD

Mostly my comments were directed toward the phone number that was posted. It's not uncommon for someone to read this stuff, take it the wrong way, get all riled up, and call someone ranting and raving. That would be very bad.

You can organize a meet with them whenever you want. I'm just saying the timing may be bad right now for a positive outcome. Last I heard, our approvers are still approving caches on SGL's. That's all I really need to know. Until they hear differently or until the situation spreads to other regions, I say let it lie.

Salvelinus

I think that the position of the PGC is actually that they don't have an "official" position and I, for one, would like to see it stay that way. If we play nice and respect their rules and don't endanger the game or interfere with the hunters, they won't have to adopt an official geocaching policy that could end up being very restrictive. I maintain very informal and cordial relations with a few wardens and land managers. They really don't want to enforce any rules against our silly game but they will if they have to. Don't give them a reason.

This quote needs to be re-read since it hits it right on the head. As an employee with the PA Fish and Boat Commission, this IS the thinking of the PGC and PFBC regarding their lands and secondary uses of it.

Salvelinus

Sincerely,

Jane M. Earll

State Senator-49th District

If that is who you are, then you have more power to find out a positive answer to the geocaching on SGL issue than any of us. Why then debate the merits of Growing Greener (which has nothing to do with geocaching) with me? I do not do budgeting or have any power in consideration of funding sources for any agency. What I read about the bill is how much I know. Obviously you have issues with how growing greener works. Your points may be valid, but this thread is an inappropriate place to debate them.

My only point with bringing up how the PGC is funded is to show that hunters pay MOST of their bills and thus have priority use on their lands. With or without Growing Greener that won't change.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

Salvelinus, I want to make two things very clear hear. None of this is personally directed at you, and I am NOT State Senator Jane M. Earll.

You were making statements that the PGC would like us to believe, but were not entirely true. We are all now a little better educated and closer to the truth. To accomplish that, I was only adding excerpts (and providing links) to relevant information. Even though Senator Earll did not post those words in this thread, she did write them.

hunters pay MOST of their bills and thus have priority use on their lands

O.K. That is a true statement. True statements are a good place to start a discussion from.

Hunter license sales are not very healthy right now. The PGC is encouraging public investment for their infrastructure. They can use all the help they can get.

I guess the question is, do they want Pennsylvania Geocachers to be their friends.

My final message in this thread to Pennsylvania Geocachers is this. The PGC is hurting for money. They would like some MORE of yours. They like to say they are self supporting and owe us nothing. Growing Greener II is not their first attempt to quietly benefit from public funds. The $625 Million Growing Greener II was approved in the recent primary election. You were not told on the Ballot that there was any potential benefit for the PGC. Your Legislators now have to decide how to allocate those funds. If this issue is not reasonably resolved, tell your Legislator: Not one public dime for the PGC.

OK, let's put this to rest and not worry so much. HIdden Manna spoke to a dispatcher, Phillip White, who informed him of the regulation that prohibits non-intended uses of the game lands. A lot of this controversy seems to have come from Pike County. The three caches that were removed were removed by a deputy officer who was going by the letter of the law. His WCO, who I talked to to find all this out, told him not to pull any more of these from game lands and that they were "permitted".

WCO Bob Johnson told me that his supervisor, Richard Larnerd confirmed that the division of law enforcement in Harrisburg is letting this activity be. In fact, Bob rec'd. a GPS from his boss and plans on visiting some of our sites in his area! He also said if anyone want to verify this information, feel free to call him. His number is 570-675-1143 at the regional office in Dallas. Nobody from the Game Commission will be removing any caches in Pike County anymore!