*best* External Antenna

Farben

Ok, I don't want to use it all the time...in fact if I never use it that's just fine, but I'd like to add an external antenna to my bag of tricks and I want to be smart about which one I pick up. I've read about rodent names like "Micro Mouse" "Mighty Mouse" and hero names like "Titan" and "Hercules" but which one has the performace to size ratio that will keep me from getting lost without having to break out a crane and builder's permit to erect the darn thing?

About me...

I'm just a humble GeoCacher like everyone else. This will be used for trail use only. There have been several caches I've been on here in Hawaii where the tree cover has been enough to foil my eTrex vista (no surprise) and my Rino. I'm picking up a 60cs next month and with the MCX jack I want to help my GPS be all it can be.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks!

-Farb

I'll second the motion on the Gilsson! Best bang for the buck!

You can buy it at GPSGeek.com

I just got mine from them,gpsgeek. I have two others by TitanIII and have been good. GpsGeek claims his is better but I haven't used it yet to tell the difference.

I got the right angle plug and because of the recessed jack by Garmin the plug will hit the outer caseing. What that does is off center the plug and might put a strain on the jack.

I would have liked to try the straight plug. As long as it doesn't stick out too much. I usually have it in a case so I want a low profile in the back. The right angle gives me that.

The right angle TitanIII seems to work better in the 60CS. It has just enough clearence to clear the case

I wonder what the deal is with the Gilsson claiming 2.5 to 12 volts. And the others claiming 2.5 to 5.5 volts. What's the difference?

But for the money $ 20.00 it's a great antenna. The Gilsson that is.

If you don't want to spend the huge number of dollars necessary for the 60cs, try the active reradiating antenna from PC-Mobile. It works very well, both in my automobile and on my hat, secured by a washer inside the hat which holds the magnets. It takes 3 AA batteries in a battery compartment, which goes in my backpack, or could fit in a shirt pocket or wherever. It attaches to any GPS by rubber band, even my Legend or your Vista.

I second Nightpilot's suggestion. I have the same re-radiating set up. It always delivers a very strong signal. Very easy to use with my vista and my V (windshield problems). No need for an external antenna port when this unit is available and so reasonably priced. One caution - I tried using the re-radiating unit with a Garmin external antenna attached instead of the antenna that came with it because I could remove the garmin magnet to make it lighter. The signal strength was much weaker with the garmin antenna.

You can take the magnets out of this one too, if you want. The bottom is just mylar, and it can be taken loose - in fact, mine came loose when I pulled it from my car top. There are 2 small magnets, one on each side. They aren't that heavy, and I need them for mounting on the top of the car for routing when I'm driving. I attach it to the top of my hat with a washer inside the hat. If you know you won't need to attach it to anything metal, you can easily remove the magnets and stick on some velcro.