How About You Guys

Wrong Way Ron

Don't get me wrong I like geocaching however it seem that every time I seek a cache all you find is JUNK!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!

Why don't everyone involved in geocaching have some ethics if you take something good replace it with something good

I've been wanting to start my own cache. I don't want to set one up with JUNK, I would like to do it right however I

don't feel we have ethical cachers out there. :lol:

Caching is pretty much like the population at large. You have some that will do the right thing all the time, some that will use a cache as a personal "free" shopping center, and everything in between.

I like to think that most of us are in the middle somewhere. One thing that I tend to do if I come across a "bad" cache is is take out some of the broken, unsuitable things and replace them w/ some of my swag. Just one way I give back to the sport.

I always try to leave the cache in better condition than I found it. Cover it well, make sure my trade was more than fair etc. The majority of cachers are that way. But keep in mind.. one mans trash is anothers treasure. My son loves some of the "crap" that I would have been ashamed to put in a cache.

Ah yes, the junk. Each cache is a real slice of life. I try to imagine the kind of person who carefully chose each item in the cache as the item they wanted the rest of the world to see. It doesn't work.

LOL..... does it mess with you're sleep patterns???? or is it that your imagination runs wild and........ :lol::lol:

Let's work this through:

1) There are, apparently, less than perfect cachers in your area. After all, it's not the guys 3000 miles away that are trashing your local caches. And 99% of the people who read your message on this forum are NOT near you.

2) The people who are trashing your local caches are apparently either NOT reading the forum. Or perhaps anything anyone writes in this forum about the subject isn't changing their minds. One of the two.

3) It may be that all the caches in the area are below your personal standard. However it's likely that all the caches in the area are roughly about the same. If so, then you need to raise the local standard by improving all the local caches.

4) It may be that the people in your area are just jerks. If so then you need to meet them so that they feel like they're part of a local community that takes pride in their caches.

We cannot change the behavior of your local cachers. If you don't like the way they behave you need to get them together and work this stuff out.

I always try to leave the cache in better condition than I found it. Cover it well, make sure my trade was more than fair etc. The majority of cachers are that way. But keep in mind.. one mans trash is anothers treasure. My son loves some of the "crap" that I would have been ashamed to put in a cache.

I agree with RC. I'm a new geocacher but I've been a hiker for a long time. I've always tried to pick up trash and make the trail a little better for the next person. With Geocaching I try to make each cache better. Thats about all I can do is leave better than I take and leave a nice log. I like the cache owner to know that I appreciate the effort he put out to place that cache. You can't get all twisted up over people not making fair trades. You just have to do what makes you feel good. I am always trying to leave something neat so that the next cacher won't be dissapointed.

I always try to leave the cache in better condition than I found it.  My son loves some of the "crap" that I would have been ashamed to put in a cache.

You can't get all twisted up over people not making fair trades. You just have to do what makes you feel good. I am always trying to leave something neat so that the next cacher won't be dissapointed.

Don't get me wrong I like geocaching however it seem that every time I seek a cache all you find is JUNK!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!

Why don't everyone involved in geocaching have some ethics if you take something good replace it with something good

I've been wanting to start my own cache. I don't want to set one up with JUNK, I would like to do it right however I

don't feel we have ethical cachers out there.

It is subject like this that irritate me

Well I do not do this often but a reply I found was needed here.

• You have been in this game for almost a year now
  • you have 21 finds
  • you have no, zero, none caches planted
  • you thank all cache owners without mention of trash or crap
  • you have only 2 trades both for pocket change

My did you ever up the quality of those caches. :lol::lol:

I always try to leave the cache in better condition than I found it.  My son loves some of the "crap" that I would have been ashamed to put in a cache.

You can't get all twisted up over people not making fair trades. You just have to do what makes you feel good. I am always trying to leave something neat so that the next cacher won't be dissapointed.

It is subject like this that irritate me

Well I do not do this often but a reply I found was needed here.

• You have been in this game for almost a year now
  • you have 21 finds
  • you have no, zero, none caches planted
  • you thank all cache owners without mention of trash or crap
  • you have only 2 trades both for pocket change

My did you ever up the quality of those caches. :lol::lol:

Well, and to top that, I've read through all the logs on all your caches, and it would appear that the few finds before you all left some fairly decent stuff, so I don't know what you're expecting to find.....did you find a nice view on the way? Did you find enjoyment at getting out to hunt caches? Did you find the Grace of Your Maker to allow you the health to actually do something on this great green marble in space? What's the problem? :lol:

It is a problem. Personally, I'm in it for the hunt and so are most long time geocachers, but I still have a certain sense of anticipation when opening the cache and whether I plan to trade, or not, I'm disappointed when I find stuff that really should have been tossed in the garbage. Toys chewn by the family dog, candy wrappers, etc...

More so, a lot of people hunt caches with their kids. The kids are looking for a "treasure". I remember the look of joy on my young (4) nephew's face when he opened a cache full of interesting stuff and I remember the look of disappointment on his face when he opened a cache to find it full of garbage.

More so, a lot of people hunt caches with their kids. The kids are looking for a "treasure". I remember the look of joy on my young (4) nephew's face when he opened a cache full of interesting stuff and I remember the look of disappointment on his face when he opened a cache to find it full of garbage.

I took my 4 y/o nephew on a few hunts with me, and he was thrilled to find the "treasure chest" hidden in the woods. Yeah, they all had decent stuff for kids, and my brother and I let him pick his trade items from the box, and our pack of goodies. He did trade up, and that not only surprised us, but also gave us a great deal of pride. In his words, "I want the next kid to find something good, too." Man, he's such a cool kid! :lol:

I personally like the hunt and do not care if all I find is a log book. I am still new so maybe this is not the spirit of the game. As far as junk is concerned...if people did not like it there would never be another sucessful garage sale. :(

It's funny. I was to a point where I would pretty much take nothing, and leave a Sacagawea dollar. I wouldn't call this a signature item, but I leave one at most caches. However, lately I've been trading stuff. I actually went out and bought some swag, and I kind of enjoy trading stuff, even though a good deal of it is stupid.

My four-year-old likes finding stuff, hates trading stuff (he's got his own swag, and I've got mine), but doesn't seem to sweat it if there's nothing that great.

An anecdote on the old "one man's trash is another man's treasure": I found a semi-junky cache the other day which had a well-used tennis ball in it. The dog loved it. Now she's gonna have to get her own swag, too.

Sorry off topic.. but i recently saw a garage sale that had underwear for sale.. UNDERWEAR.. what the heck were they thinking :D

Back in Jr. High (I know, it's waaaay back there for some of you/us), if a boy "forgot" to wear his jockstrap, the teacher had an entire bag of used ones you could buy for a dollar. I learned how to do my own laundry that year. :(

:D CO

don't feel we have ethical cachers out there. :(

Hasn't this topic been covered a billion times all ready? :D

MOST caches start off with some pretty cool stuff. 99.9% of those degrade after time. You can do one of two things: do regular maintenence on your cache and restock it -or- let it go to pot.

Personally, I maintain my caches and will take out the junk and add a few more cool items.

Now you ask, why caches degrade in the first place. Well, some cachers are new and don't know any better. Some cachers want to trade but have nothing good in return so they think that leaving something is better than nothing. Some cachers are just jerks (this is a rare occurance). Some hiders place a cache and never check on it again.

There's a lot of reasons why caches degrade but it's just a fact, most eventually do. Caches are like people, we all degrade a little as time goes by. It's just a fact of life. :D

I don't mind finding McToys in caches. But I do object to finding one with arms or legs chewed off by the family pet.

Off topic I dfid go to a garage sale that did have underware for sale and the local Morman did come by to collect the sacred undergarments before they were sold to the public.

I can say that I do alot of TN, LN because there's nothing to take which is ok. Im geocaching more for the hunt and I can say I have found some nice lakes

and parks that I didn't even know where there and thats a plus :-) I am in the process of making up my own caches. It just let down when you do find a cache and theres nothing but garbage in them as other have posted. So I guess it just isn't me thats having this problem it seem the problem is every where.

:bad: I enjoy this sport because it gives me a chance to get outdoors and learn about new places I would otherwise never go.

Regarding the poor quality of things left in a cache, there is a simple explanation and solution to it:

Explanation: GIGO=Garbage In, Garbage Out

Solution: Don't contribute to the garbage piles already in existance. You have the power to place something better in the cache. This will make you part of the solution rather than the problem. ;)

I can say that I do alot of TN, LN because there's nothing to take which is ok. Im geocaching more for the hunt

You are the problem. Well you and people like you. If you leave nothing your not helping. The one thing that will fix it though is if you complain about it here in the forums. That will certainly fix the problem of other people not leaving good stuff for you to find. :D

You don't have to spend a bunch of money but find something usefull, or unique or interesting or fun and buy a bunch of them. Leave one in every cache you visit. You have no basis to complain about others not leaving you good stuff if your not leaving ANYTHING.

My goal is to make each cache I find better when I leave. That means make a nice log entry, always trade up, take care in putting it back, pick up trash on the way out, and make more than a 3 word online log so that the owner can know the status of his cache and that people appreciate him hiding it.

I think this topic has been "covered" way to many times. It always involved somebody whining about it, instead of trying to make a difference, as does this thread. I think any topic of this subject should be closed for a while, because I'm tired of hearing how a big problem in your life is finding junk, when you were looking for what... treasure?

Seriously, what did you expect to find. This is what you need to do.

My goal is to make each cache I find better when I leave. That means make a nice log entry, always trade up, take care in putting it back, pick up trash on the way out, and make more than a 3 word online log so that the owner can know the status of his cache and that people appreciate him hiding it.

Other than that, don't whine or complain. Just relax, and try to leave something in the cache that you would like to find. You didn't have a positive experience, so try to help someone else have the experience you wish you had.

Remember. Life is what you make it. Life gives you lemons? I think you know the rest. :D

I really do not worry about trading with the kids along. We have our bag of goodies to swap in the cache and more often or not, one of the kids will pick out some of our stuff when making a trade and not take anything from the cache.

We are very lucky where we live as there is a swap shop where you take in any item you do not want and then can leave with any item in the store. We have found some neat cache items there and often the items have never been opened.

Our local Dollar store has just got in a box of magnet travel games in. The pieces store inside the board and there are 2 games per box for $1.00. The travel games are chess, chutes and ladders, Tic Tac Toe, Checkers and Chinese Checkers. They are very neat and I am thinking of buying the entire case!

Ed

I can say that I do alot of TN, LN because there's nothing to take which is ok.  Im geocaching more for the hunt

You are the problem. Well you and people like you.

With all due respect to your six finds - That's the purest horsepucky I've read today. Perhaps when you get in triple digits, your opinion will change. Or maybe not. It doesn't matter. Different people like different aspects of caching.

I like playing with maps, figuring out the easiest/most efficient way to a cache site, minimizing the search area, and hopefully figuring out where a cache is hidden before starting the search. I'd rather find a box with a log book rattling around in it than one overstuffed with McJunk. Everyone has to agree that mine is the only valid approach to the game. :P:P

TNLNSL ;)

don't feel we have ethical cachers out there. ;)

Caches end up with junk unless you yourself decide to continue to replenish the cache yourself and therefor provide the caching community with a non ending source of swag.

Lately I've been placing containers with only a longbook and pencil with enough room to place a Travel Bug. When I recently went to visit some of my two year old caches I honsetly was shocked at what crap was in there. So my opinion is if you guys want cool stuff, go buy it.

With all due respect to your six finds - That's the purest horsepucky I've read today. Perhaps when you get in triple digits, your opinion will change. Or maybe not. It doesn't matter. Different people like different aspects of caching.

Did you bother to read the whole thread?

My point was the thread starter doesn't leave anything for others to find so why should he expect to find anything?

I'm proud of my 6 finds. I don't need 100 finds to have commone sense. Perhaps when you get to 1000 you'll realize that the numbers don't mean anything to anyone but you.

I gotta agree with JeepCachr. Numbers mean nothing. Many great hiders have zero finds, and many terrible caches were placed by people with triple digits.

Ron, you gotta help out. You can't just bitch about stuff, when you are doing nothing to help with the problem.

OK Now for my 2 cents worth. After reading many threads about junk in caches, I will agree with those who say if you can't leave something decent then please do not leave trash. However, what is decent? At the end of a 2 mile hike a bottle of water could be the most pleasing thing I could find, a first aid kit that has a bandaid/plaster that might be needed for a blister, handiwipes to refresh oneself or tissues that you might have forgotten to throw in the backpack. Batteries (AA) for the GPS that gave up the ghost when you started searching would also be very welcome. Practical items in a cache as well as the odd toy for a child who worked just as hard to get there as their parent should not be overlooked and they are not that expensive either.

When we set up our first cache, I even put in new socks (courtesy of a travel pack given out by an airline) for the person who got wet feet on their trek up to it. Leave something that you would appreciate finding is our motto. ;)

It all depends on what you think of as junk. Lots of people think of McToys as junk... My wife, on the other hand, loves them. As long as you trade even or up, it's all good. If you only TNLN it's the same as not voting to me: you shouldn't complain about who trades what just as you shouldn't complain about who's elected or not. Just my two cents.

I'm BRAND new to this and probably shouldn't even say anything. However I have had a great time the last few days just reading about and learning what Geocache is all about. I have only looked for one so far and it had been stolen. I have printed out about 1 doz. caches that I planned to look for. I am excited about the hunt much more than what might be in the cache.

P.S. Many people TN/LN, therefore are not really interested in the "prize". If I build a cache what do you think about placeing a doz. or so post cards from the local area? Maybe even having the post office post mark it. I thought this would be a great keepsake to remember the area where the cache was located. Of course I would also place the usual type prizes. ;)

I'm ....

If I build a cache what do you think about placeing a doz. or so post cards from the local area? Maybe even having the post office post mark it. I thought this would be a great keepsake to remember the area where the cache was located. Of course I would also place the usual type prizes. B)

I've visited a few caches with post cards, baseball cards and the like. All too often they end up a soggy mess due to condensation or leaky baggies. Maybe some of the little pins and buttons or refrigerator magnets from the gift shop. I get a kick out of the magnets as I can decorate with them and have a reminder of the cache and area. Pencils and similar inexpensive souvenirs are also fun to find when visiting far from home.

OK Now for my 2 cents worth. After reading many threads about junk in caches, I will agree with those who say if you can't leave something decent then please do not leave trash. However, what is decent? At the end of a 2 mile hike a bottle of water could be the most pleasing thing I could find, a first aid kit that has a bandaid/plaster that might be needed for a blister, handiwipes to refresh oneself or tissues that you might have forgotten to throw in the backpack. Batteries (AA) for the GPS that gave up the ghost when you started searching would also be very welcome. Practical items in a cache as well as the odd toy for a child who worked just as hard to get there as their parent should not be overlooked and they are not that expensive either.

When we set up our first cache, I even put in new socks (courtesy of a travel pack given out by an airline) for the person who got wet feet on their trek up to it. Leave something that you would appreciate finding is our motto. :)

I can't believe it...some one who is like minded!!!! (You might want ot check into conselling!! :) )

I do the same thing. Most often, I am caching with 2 children in tow. Especially in the cold, I try to think...What would a parent who is doing this, and might be restricted to doing it with children along, like to find in the cache to cut down on the whining on the way back? Some of my solutions (all for a buck or so): a pair of slippers, gloves, magnifying glass, inexspensive compass, glow sticks, stickers, etc. And for the adults, I sometimes leave tools (I have a fascination with levels...so...), I find unique, pretty pens, greeting cards, caribeners, clips..... A ton of stuff. I usually tend to leave more than I take, soem times putting stuff in, but not taking any.

As for those of you who cache simply to get something "cool"...perhaps you picked the wrong hobby. :)

In reading the threads above it's obvious there's no standard for what people enjoy in a find. Some like McToys, Some like "nice" stuff, others like book exchanges, and there's a whole website devoted to people who like to find rubber stamps as well (letterboxing).

For me, I really don't care much about anything but the log book. I'd rather that the cache hider put their time into finding a place in the woods (or cool urban place - whatever you fancy) than in shopping at dollar stores. I've only hidden one (soon to be 2!) cache but I definitely enjoy the log entries people leave. For that reason, I always try to leave a nice log entry and take pictures on each hunt. That's my idea of a trade - Took in a great view, left pawprints and a log entry.

If you have a specific twist on what *you* like in caches, then find a clever and scenic spot to hide one, and give that cache a theme. As the owner, you'll then have the right to enforce that theme (been debated, but I think the consensus was that owners can make + enforce their own rules). That's the whole point of hiding a cache - it's your way to show other people what YOU like in a cache, and hopefully they'll like it too. Just don't be in too much of a hurry to hide one... The more you find, the more you learn about quality hides.

I never get why people complain about what's in a cache. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THINGS!!!

Generally when I go to a cache, I go with a bagfull of stuff. BookCrossing books, toys, stickers, money, etc.. If I go to a cache and found broken crap, I'll take it out and stick in some nice things from my bag.

I don't always trade items, but I'm prepared to fix up a cache if I have to.

junkcache.jpg

I truly appreciate the humor...

HOWEVER - This area is about getting started. There are plenty of topics available that are NOT dead horses. Please move on to those and let us newbies get accustomed to the site. I promise that many of those that you find so tedious will be trading bon mots with you later on.

junkcache.jpg

I truly appreciate the humor...

HOWEVER - This area is about getting started. There are plenty of topics available that are NOT dead horses. Please move on to those and let us newbies get accustomed to the site. I promise that many of those that you find so tedious will be trading bon mots with you later on.

bon mots? :D

I am new to this sport as-well, but I do have something to say about all of this. Since I have started this sport, I have ment nothing but the best and sweetest people EVER! I have also found the caches to be enjoyable, even if they did not have good items (in which all of mine have so far). I love this sport for what it is, not what I can take out of the caches. Fighting over it and getting all upset is NOT worth the effort people are putting into this! If you don't like what you find then quit hunting and move on to some other sport where you sit in front of a TV.

ladycacher

I love Geocaching no matter what!

This area is about getting started. There are plenty of topics available that are NOT dead horses. Please move on to those and let us newbies get accustomed to the site. I promise that many of those that you find so tedious will be trading bon mots with you later on.

I write to underscore the wisdom of Torry's words. This is the Getting Started forum. The topics in here are new to those who are reading them. The horses are all still breathing.

Future posts to this topic need to stick the merits of discussing trading practices. No more criticism of people because of their opinions... just disagree with the opinion. And, as the Forum Guidelines remind us, everyone is entitled to express their opinion, regardless of whether they have 1 find or 1000 finds.

:oNM

Look IM not going to trade nothing for trash period. I thought it's the responsibility of the cache owner to take care of his

cache. I won't leave nothing for garbage. I have a great idea!! Why don't we start geocaching on hwy's this way you can

hall out all the garbage you want. If your setting up a cache in parks, camping sites, and other places that have very nice view.

Wouldn't you be the problem leaving trash at the geocache site. It's against the LAW to leave trash in these areas??

So don't flip me crap for someone thats not responsible enough to do the right thing. I see you as the problem who ever

you are so stop the TRASH. Now like an earlier post stated I shouldn't expect to find anything your right, So the the way Im

starting to see it when ever I have the bag full of Mcdonalds garbage I know where to get rid of it. That way Im doing

my share. So look in the mirror. Im not the problem. Correct me if IM wrong does every body expect garbage in these caches.