Overhead Aircraft Messing With Gps?

RoyalRed

I have been Geocaching a little over one month and have logged 50 finds so far. :lol: I was quite amazed at GPS performance under power lines. :lol: Last weekend we were searching for a cache located directly underneath the approach for Philly airport. Seemed like every time a plane came ovehead the GPS would go crazy. :lol: Has anyone else seen this or am I the crazy one?

Edited by RoyalRed

Depending on the application, RADALTs can operate at frequencies between 500 MHz and 9.8Ghz. While the signal could easily mess with your GPSr's mind, these use very narrow beamwidths, so any interference would be short lived. There are also a number of other emitters on any large aircraft, including IFF, Wx radar and approach radar which could contribute as well.

Don't forget that any large airport is a virtual zoo of emissions over a huge part of the RF spectrum, so whether there is an actual plane overhead or not, reception could easily be "interesting" :lol: anywhere in that general area!

Depending on the application, RADALTs can operate at frequencies between 500 MHz and 9.8Ghz. While the signal could easily mess with your GPSr's mind, these use very narrow beamwidths, so any interference would be short lived. There are also a number of other emitters on any large aircraft, including IFF, Wx radar and approach radar which could contribute as well.

Don't forget that any large airport is a virtual zoo of emissions over a huge part of the RF spectrum, so whether there is an actual plane overhead or not, reception could easily be "interesting" :lol: anywhere in that general area!

Yes, but the description made it appear that this was a short lived interference. Radar Alt is also the only beam directed (almost) straight down.

Depending on the application, RADALTs can operate at frequencies between 500 MHz and 9.8Ghz.  While the signal could easily mess with your GPSr's mind, these use very narrow beamwidths, so any interference would be short lived.  There are also a number of other emitters on any large aircraft, including IFF, Wx radar and approach radar which could contribute as well. 

Don't forget that any large airport is a virtual zoo of emissions over a huge part of the RF spectrum, so whether there is an actual plane overhead or not, reception could easily be "interesting"  :lol:  anywhere in that general area!

Yes, but the description made it appear that this was a short lived interference. Radar Alt is also the only beam directed (almost) straight down.

Well.... a RADALT is probably the most downward looking emitter, but don't forget that a lot of large airliners use a CCA (Close-control Approach) system which is transmitted from a chin-dome and tends to be pushed downward as well. I agree that RADALT is the most likely candidate, but I think the short asnwer is: GPSr + Airport = :lol:

The weather radar, especially in ground-mapping mode, shoots pretty far down also. Close to an airport, I would tend to suspect the ATC radar, or maybe the Doppler weather/windshear radar, since they will be transmitting with much higher power than an aircraft does. More likely, just another anomaly received all the time on any GPSr. Coincidences happen all the time. An airplane flying overhead, especially one going as fast as an airliner, just won't be overhead long enough to do much to the GPS signals, either by blocking or interference via some transmitter. I could hover my helicopter over you and wouldn't block your GPS. Our GPS antennas receive through the rotor blades with no problem at all, and they're always turning above us.