Female Cachers

qwiksilver

i have a friend who asked for statistics about women cachers. it seems that statistically (according to the last official survey) they don't exist.

there are, however, a LOT of women out caching. many do not choose to aknowledge that they are women because they DO sometimes go alone.

i sometimes go alone, and i bring a cell phone and some, uh, other things. and the only time i was ever really stalked, the guy thought i was a man, so i guess my tough walk was good, but if i'd worn my girl clothes, the guy would have left me alone.

mabe i should put together a fetching ensemble like huntnlady's avatar?

It's handy if you have a dog. People thinking of doing bad things will reconsider if you have a dog almost everytime. Even if it's just a little one. If you don't have a dog, then you can have the large cannister of Bear Spray my boyfriend bought me last week, now stuck in the garage on the back shelf somewhere. Both of them. :D

I won't go without my dog. She's not a guard dog but has some protective instincts. If asked I say she bites frequently. Even with her, I'm careful about where I go. I go into the woods, forests, etc, but then again there are forests, woods, I won't go because I just happen to know or have the feeling that there are untrustworthy characters in the area. If it's remote and pristine, then I feel like its ok. If it's remote and trashed, I just might decide against. Most wildlife will avoid you if they can, and I make lot's of noise to make sure they hear me.

I'm also careful not to take too many physical risks. I hear tell there is a cache in my area that requires risking my sound body parts and I've looked for it to no avail. I have an idea where it is but I'm saving that until someone will go with me and can call 911 for me when I crash !

Personally, I prefer to go with other people, just because of normal concerns... If you fall down a ravine and break your leg, gender doesn't matter. If you get lost in the woods or can't find the trail anymore, sometimes it's just better to have two heads.

If you are in an area where you need protection because you're a woman, follow basic safety. Don't cache at night. Carry a cell phone and mace. Tell people if you're not home by a certain time to get worried.

Use common sense for how safe areas are around you. I've cached by myself (don't have normal days off) quite a bit. I usually take my dog with me and tell someone where I'm going and when I expect to be home. Also stay alert and aware of your surroundings. Where I am, mountain lions and bears are as big a danger as people.

I agree w/ what most of the others have said common sense being formost. Pay attention to your surroundings and "gut feelings". I cach w/ my 7 yr old son primarily and so my "mommy alarms" are even more sensitive then. If Im w/ my boyfriend I dont worry to much. He's 6ft and 220, long hair biker look.. though gentle as can be, he can look pretty intimidating.

Just my 2-cents. I live in a major metropolitan area, and will do urban/suburban caches alone, except I will not cache alone at night unless I know the neighborhood really well. I don't have a dog, and my cat doesn't care much for the outdoors... I try to convince a muggle or two to go on a hike if the terrain indicates some danger. In my opinion, a little confidence and some common sense goes a LOOOOOOONG way.

The woods can be intimidating to some people. I've lived in WA. State all my life and the woods is part of life here.

I've gone out in the woods by myself and I do take my cell phone with me just in case of a emergency. Hoping that there is a signal. :lol: Just listen and don't assume that every noise you hear is a cougar or a bear. Sometimes it's a deer just checking you out. :lol:

I enjoy the peace and quiet out there.

Once I and my daughter were going huckleberry picking (before geocaching days) she heard a bear. I saw it run between us through the brush. She was scared but thankfully she didn't panic. We just got back in the truck and drove off.

The next day we brought my Browning 308 that would take care of the bear problem.

Now the "wildlife" in the city well that makes me nervous :lol:

Edited by IronMaiden

:D Thank you all.

Bear spray? :( Might not work on bears. Wonder how it would work on crack addicts?

I see women walking Griffith Park's main trails alone all the time. One Japanese lady amazes me...she looks like she's a hundred and carries a parasol...and out walks us all.

I would never go out at night even with a gang of friends. :D

I think I will do a hunt for a couple of places this weekend (taking my bear spray and a walking staff) that are in fairly open areas.

Thanks again.

:D Thank you all.

Bear spray? :( Might not work on bears. Wonder how it would work on crack addicts?

I see women walking Griffith Park's main trails alone all the time. One Japanese lady amazes me...she looks like she's a hundred and carries a parasol...and out walks us all.

I would never go out at night even with a gang of friends. :D

I think I will do a hunt for a couple of places this weekend (taking my bear spray and a walking staff) that are in fairly open areas.

Thanks again.

I didn't realize you are near Griffith Park, I'm from Californina. Bear spray works on crack addicts ! You are using you common sense, that and your intuition are the very best tools you have. Good luck, be careful and have fun.

:rolleyes: I cache alone most of the time, but I don't go to remote places. If I do go somewhere out of the way, I besure to let people know where I'll be. I usually carry my cell phone and take my dog (although he's only 20lbs). Most of the time, I check out the area before leaving the car. If something looks odd or out of the ordinary I don't stay.

See this post for the oddest/weirdest thing I've run across while caching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...24-9b799e01ea50 <_<

Hmmm...I thought I was in this thread a few minutes ago when I replied in the Cachers one that says women on the bottom. I go alone the majority of the time but I leave if I get a bad feeling about a place. Like I said in the other thread, I find it unsettling when there's a weird looking guy just sitting in his car at a remote park parking lot. If it's in a nice neighborhood park that's pretty open and in a somewhat busy area I'm pretty okay with it. but I have left areas without leaving my car before.

For anyone who doesn't want to go alone but has a hard time coordinating with others, consider the following good dead:

take a pound hound with you

If you don't have your own pooch but like dogs well enough, some shelters/rescue groups will allow you to take out a dog for a long walk/hike. Some will even let you take a dog for a weekend "sleep over" for longer treks. It is really great for the dog as nearly all shelters are unable to spend enough time with each animal and the shelter environment is stressful for many dogs. [some shelters don't go for this so you might need to call around before finding one.]

Shelters I've worked with in the past will be very honest with their volunteers if the pooch is easy to walk, so just pick one of these, pick one you like the looks of (although as has been previously posted dogs need not look tough to be off putting), bring plastic bags, and enjoy the companionship.

Of course, if security is not your main concern you can pick a really cute looking dog and use the pooch as a way to fill your dance card. :unsure:

Added thought, Gal Pals, can be fun. Friends and family too, but I just don't like to wait till others timing fits into my schedule. So away I go and have fun! But I choose safe areas and carry a cell phone, and yes, I do some night caching in areas I feel are safe.

Edited by Patudles
:) Why is it always about the babes? There is a County Park here in New Cstle County, Delaware thats known for the Gay guys that hang there. The trouble is going out into those woods alone, as a guy. All sorts of wild people follow you, and they often show something other than their GPS units. I figured out how to solve the problem.. I go in drag, they think its a woman and I'm safe.
:) Am I missing something? What would possess ANYONE to go 'caching or hiking somewhere that they thought a gun might be required???? :P Wouldn't it just make more sense to go somewhere else?

Where I live and where most of my local caches are there are drug users and homeless people (Hollywood). I don't know how dangerous other areas are.