Ask Ngs Questions About Reporting Criteria

DebBrown

Hello again,...Deb here. Just want to let you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Thanks for all the work you're doing for us. I'll be on leave quite a bit from now until the end of the year. If you need any questions answered, please email me at Deb.Brown@noaa.gov

Take care all,

deb

3.  Regarding in particular "with a background reference object", I often fail to include in the photo one of the reference objects specifically mentioned in the 'to-reach' description, and instead just show where the marker is in relation to something, like the edge of a road or a fence.  Would this be acceptable?

4.  Quite often in an area view picture, the disk's position is rather unclear without putting an arrow in the picture.  Would arrows in pictures be acceptable?

Per the current discussion about creating an NGS-oriented forum, let's see if resuscitating a pinned thread will get Casey's attention. :-)

I have some of the same questions that BlackDog posted last May. I have quoted above the ones that I am most curious about, but all of his questions were good ones and I hope that Casey or Deb can answer them. I have corresponded with Deb via email and certainly could do so again to get these questions answered, but the answers are ones that many of us on this forum could benefit from.

I'm finally getting around to pulling together photos for the benchmarks for which I have filed official recovery reports, so this would be a good time to get answers to the questions. I can't do much about #3 unless I go back to Yosemite and take new photos, but I certainly can do #4 with Photoshop if notations on the photo are allowed.

Patty

caseyb Posted on Jan 24 2005, 08:51 AM

A pinned thread doesn't get much attention. A little perhaps for observant folks, but not much more than that.  :wub:

This is rather surprising and incredible.

This pinned thread is FOR the NGS. :wub: Please read it when its date changes.

The whole idea of a pinned thread is that it is always at the top of the list so that it will be noticed. The very idea that a pinned thread is what no one looks at is really surprising.

This is especially surprising when the Geocaching site management has taken the trouble to make a pinned thread especially for the NGS and then the NGS representative says that it doesn't get much attention since it is a pinned thread! :o

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

3.  Regarding in particular "with a background reference object", I often fail to include in the photo one of the reference objects specifically mentioned in the 'to-reach' description, and instead just show where the marker is in relation to something, like the edge of a road or a fence.  Would this be acceptable?

4.  Quite often in an area view picture, the disk's position is rather unclear without putting an arrow in the picture.  Would arrows in pictures be acceptable?

Per the current discussion about creating an NGS-oriented forum, let's see if resuscitating a pinned thread will get Casey's attention. :-)

I have some of the same questions that BlackDog posted last May. I have quoted above the ones that I am most curious about, but all of his questions were good ones and I hope that Casey or Deb can answer them. I have corresponded with Deb via email and certainly could do so again to get these questions answered, but the answers are ones that many of us on this forum could benefit from.

I'm finally getting around to pulling together photos for the benchmarks for which I have filed official recovery reports, so this would be a good time to get answers to the questions. I can't do much about #3 unless I go back to Yosemite and take new photos, but I certainly can do #4 with Photoshop if notations on the photo are allowed.

Patty

caseyb,

I think you forgot to answer the two questions that Patty (Wintertime) & Black Dog Tracker politely asked......??:o

Shirley~

I sent a note to Deb, and she said it would indeed be helpful to put some kind of marking on the area photo to indicate the station location. So I've been using Photoshop to add an arrow, choosing a color that will show up well on each photo. (I found two colors that seem to work well for all situations so far.)

Patty

How are you adding the pictures to the NGS Data sheet?

I see no where to upload images.

Yeah, that could be confusing!

There isn't yet a mechanism to supplement data sheets with photos. However, if you read the beginning of this thread, you'll see that Deb mentioned that NGS is working on that ability, and that meanwhile, we can submit photos directly to her. She then laid out some details on how we should format and name the photos.

Patty