Calling A Bug Home

sTeamTraen

I have a plan to release a bug (TBG4ZE) which will collect wine bottle labels from around the world.

With any luck, it will accumulate a big bunch of labels, with messages from people on the back.

If this succeeds, is it OK, after a period, to change the mission to "get back home", or maybe even to ask the next finder to mail it to me ? I kind of like the idea of welcoming the fellow home. Or are TBs meant to be wandering Ancient Mariners ?

What's the best way to change the goal of a bug to call it home or send it on another leg of it's mission? Should you put a note on the bug's log? E-mail the latest holder? Ask someone to print a new goal sheet and attach it to the bug? Something else?

I don't have a TB yet, but this is something that I have wondered about.

What's the best way to change the goal of a bug to call it home or send it on another leg of it's mission? Should you put a note on the bug's log? E-mail the latest holder? Ask someone to print a new goal sheet and attach it to the bug? Something else?

I don't have a TB yet, but this is something that I have wondered about.

Modify the bug's description.

What's the best way to change the goal of a bug to call it home or send it on another leg of it's mission?  Should you put a note on the bug's log?  E-mail the latest holder?  Ask someone to print a new goal sheet and attach it to the bug?  Something else?

Modify its description on its web page, as RK wrote, plus send an email to the current holder and ask them to receive (through the mail) and attach a new laminated tag from you ... then mail it to them.

Notes in the log don't matter. People read their email, might read the attached tag and may read the web page description, and the latter usually after they find the bug and brought it home after a long day caching, while on vacation.

Edited by brad.32