I Want To Make A Really Tough Micro

quills

Hiding a cache that is impossible to find is easy. Doing it in a clever way that allows those who find it to enjoy the experience is much more difficult.

Think of it this way: a good 5-star cache hide is one for which the search requires cleverness, not tedium.

There are lots and lots of bad ways to make caches impossible to find. Some that I've seen (but not appreciated) include:

• Use bad coordinates, with some lame excuse about how your GPS was giving you troubles when you hid the cache.
  • Hide the cache someplace where the finder cannot get a GPS signal.
  • Make the coordinates point to a 5-acre park, and in the description say that the cache is "somewhere in the park."
  • Hide a fake rock in a levee built of rocks. Bury it several layers down.
  • Hide a tiny cache in the middle of a large area covered with ivy.

In general, any cache that seems to be designed to mostly make the hider feel superior to the finders instead of being enjoyable for the finders is likely to be a bad cache.

Hiding a cache that is impossible to find is easy.  Doing it in a clever way that allows those who find it to enjoy the experience is much more difficult.

Think of it this way:  a good 5-star cache hide is one for which the search requires cleverness, not tedium.

- SNIP -

In general, any cache that seems to be designed to mostly make the hider feel superior to the finders instead of being enjoyable for the finders is likely to be a bad cache.

This is an excellent reminder. Well said and:

Thank you!

(emphasis mine)

Edited by MissJenn

or you could find a location with a large solid log in it, cut a med sise peace of it(make sure that you can put it back in the log) and make a box out of that peace by sawing the top off and burning a little hole in it. than you can replace the "top" of the container on the "continer" and put it back in the log

It is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Team ClandestinePenguin
Hiding a cache that is impossible to find is easy. Doing it in a clever way that allows those who find it to enjoy the experience is much more difficult.

Well said. It took me less than two minutes to hide a film canister where nobody could find it. It wasn't hard to do and it certainly wasn't clever.

I don't hunt skunk bait micros anymore. I'm not impressed and I rarely find any of them enjoyable.

OK, if I put together a lot of the ideas listed here along with ideas from other threads, this is what I come up with.

First, find an urban telephone pole that has lots of potential cache hiding places nearby. A telephone pole near a university would work best. Then staple a poster on the pole saying something like this:

LOST FLUFFY THE CAT

- put picture here -

:(

Brown and white long haired cat.

Please call either nights or at work

(035) 028-8362 (N)

(106) 045-1991 (W)

REWARD

If this pole has other announcements, so much the better. Then leave this poster out for a couple weeks to age. Notice that the telephone numbers are actually coordinates to the final cache.

Next, right before the cache is approved, place an opened film cannister in the area. Cover it with camo tape. Make it look like it was discovered by a muggle. After a week or two, you'll want to replace the new film can with an old cracked one.

For effect you can actually hide the final cache in a hollowed out stuffed cat toy. Make sure your picture on the poster matches your cache.

Any more twists we can add to this?

Geesh.. I sure hope GPSaxophone isn't reading this. It'll spoil all their fun searching for this.

First, find an urban telephone pole that has lots of potential cache hiding places nearby.  A telephone pole near a university would work best.  Then staple a poster on the pole saying something like this:

LOST FLUFFY THE CAT

- put picture here -

:(

Brown and white long haired cat.

Please call either nights or at work

(035) 028-8362    (N)

(106) 045-1991    (W)

REWARD

Now this is good. Adding the cache hidden inside a stuffed cat is funny as heck.

F_M

I did check the coords...they aren't near the University at all :(

I didn't check the coords, but when I dialed the phone numbers I get this lady that keeps repeating the same thing. I tried to explain that I had found her cat, but she just keeps going.

Okay, I just checked the coords, and they are in the Zia Indian Reservation. I haven’t heard of ZIRU, but it could be out there.

I did check the coords...they aren't near the University at all :D

I didn't check the coords, but when I dialed the phone numbers I get this lady that keeps repeating the same thing. I tried to explain that I had found her cat, but she just keeps going.

Okay, I just checked the coords, and they are in the Zia Indian Reservation. I haven?t heard of ZIRU, but it could be out there.

No one lives in that area, it's pretty remote with just a highway going through it. I drive that route on my way to the mountains (Jemez Springs) frequently. It would be much better placed in an urban setting as the Puzzzler stated. I will be watching for this one to pop up and will enjoy finding it. He spied one of my ideas in the forums a short while ago, only what he saw won't help him find my cache. :D

:( NM

We have a traditional micro with 5* difficulty. The coordinates are spot on, but the more accurate the GPS signal, the less likely you are to find it. It's in plain sight if you can't touch it, and hidden if you can.

Sounds interesting?

See it here.

There's also a password-protected 'real' log page for finders to tell the whole story.

Choice quotes from that site are:

"Can't be 5 Star Terrain there! Unless it's hidden in a rabid dog's cage at the bottom of a slurry pit."

"I feel a bit stupid that it took me three goes but otherwise elated at my success."

"well worth the 5/5"

Hide a micro under a rock in the middle of a rock field. I've been to a few of those that were rather hard to find. The downside? It's not really clever. Just sadistic.

Reminds me of a cache I was considering placing.. A few months ago, someone on here discussed how to make fake rocks. I was thinking of making one and then placing it on the hills that are under this overpass and covered with rocks.

The only thing that stopped me is I can see someone playing with the rocks or something and then it getting moved and there are thousands there, so if I had to go check, I'd never be able to find it again, either!!

I will let you steal this idea, though:

Find a branch that's been cut off or has died and drill a hole in it just big enough to hold a minis container or film canister (but so it hangs out a teeny bit) and stick the container in. Of course, if you do this in the woods and paint the container brown .................