Am I Being Plundered?

CbusRog

Hi all,

I placed my first cache about 10 days ago, and I've had two hits on the web log. Tonight I temporarily disabled the cache (it's raining) so I could bring it in (it's close to home) and check on it. The log book lists four visits. I have a list of what I initially placed in the cache. The inventory does not match the logbook. Since the cache is so young, it wasn't hard to realize that four items were "missing", and one non-logged trade.

Is this "normal" attrition? Are there just some "dishonest" geocachers? I mean, sheesh... it's just $2 trinkets. 3 out of the 4 log entries I have indicate that it was an easy find. Maybe I should move it to make it more challenging for those who take geocaching more seriously?

I don't want to be soured to placing further caches. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

As above not everone logs online. Also there are times when you may forget to log what was t/l. When caching w/ my son there have been times I've gotten back to the car and realized he took something that I didnt log. I usually try to update that in my post though. Since we do leave "good" swag I dont usually have to go back thank goodness to even up the trade.

entrophy is a very powerful force in the geocaching world. the paper log and online logs won't necessarily mesh, and I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. be happy that people are visiting your cache, enjoying the surroundings, and not taking the container home with them.

you shouldn't need to bring in the cache every time it rains. visit an army surplus store and buy an ammo box to use as the container. that'll fix that.

As above not everone logs online.  Also there are times when you may forget to log what was t/l.  When caching w/ my son there have been times I've gotten back to the car and realized he took something that I didnt log.  I usually try to update that in my post though.  Since we do leave "good" swag I dont usually have to go back thank goodness to even up the trade.

Oh, I understand that folks may not post their finds online (or at least right away). In fact, I'd rather read them from the logbook; more personal. My point was that there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of items taken versus items left, and none of those items even being logged. More than just a child or two innocently taking an item.

Edited by CbusRog
you shouldn't need to bring in the cache every time it rains.  visit an army surplus store and buy an ammo box to use as the container.  that'll fix that.

I didn't bring it in because it was raining; it's quite watertight. And Rubbermaid ;) I brought it in because I surmised no one would be searching for it in the rain, at night, in 45° temperature... then again, you never know!

Oh, and I have a nice .30 cal ammo box sitting right here for cache #2!

Edited by CbusRog
Maybe I should move it to make it more challenging for those who take geocaching more seriously?

To answer this question,

I've found that the remote caches that require a good hike are usually in better shape and have better things in them. I don't know the reason for this, but that's my observation.

Jamie

Maybe I should move it to make it more challenging for those who take geocaching more seriously?

To answer this question,

I've found that the remote caches that require a good hike are usually in better shape and have better things in them. I don't know the reason for this, but that's my observation.

Jamie

I think the reason is fairly obvious; someone who takes the purposeful action of searching out a rural, if not remote, cache, is more appreciative of the find. I live in a major urban area where many of the caches are located in parks along a river and are a dime a dozen. This is also a major college town, and judging from the past immature behavior of some underclassmen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that some would mess with a geocache just for the sake of it.

It's just a fact of life in geocaching. Some people don't trade evenly. The contents of nearly all caches degrade over time. It's nothing to worry about. You have two choices, let the cache take its natural course, where it will be filled with empty candy wrappers, dog chewn toy figurines, loose change, etc.... after about 20 finds, or you can visit it periodically to re stock it.

I placed my first cache about 10 days ago, and I've had two hits on the web log. Tonight I temporarily disabled the cache (it's raining) so I could bring it in (it's close to home) and check on it. The log book lists four visits. I have a list of what I initially placed in the cache. The inventory does not match the logbook. Since the cache is so young, it wasn't hard to realize that four items were "missing", and one non-logged trade.

I'm a new cacher but from what I've most people around here don't seem to log their trades and if they are trading up I can only wonder what they are talking out when I look at whats left.

Its probably not a good idea to disable a cache and pull it in, especially a new one. A lot of people don't update everyday. Also by disabling it any one that happened to update during that time won't get it.

Its one thing to not be able to find it but it would make me frustrated to see the owner had temporarily disabled it just to check on it. You should be able to check on it even in the rain, just bring it back to the car or take an umbrella with you.

Its probably not a good idea to disable a cache and pull it in, especially a new one. A lot of people don't update everyday. Also by disabling it any one that happened to update during that time won't get it.

Agreed, I have the wapyoints of the 500 closest caches to my home on my GPS. Often I just check to see what is nearby and don't have the page, so would have no idea if the cache is disabled. There are many others who do the same thing.

I surmised no one would be searching for it in the rain, at night, in 45° temperature... then again, you never know!

I have searched in the rain, in the dark, in around 45 degree temperatures.... In a cemetary to boot! :D

Wow!! I did this same thing just a few weeks ago!!! My first night-rain-cemetary hunt!!!! Yeah, folks do cache in the dark, in the rain, in cold weather....there's one cacher here that hunts strictly at night..they've got several hundred finds, and apparently got bored with daylight hunts......I hope I never get that bored...but you never know! B)

I was FTF on your cache, and I would say you did a good job on your first cache. It is a good hide and was nicely stocked. I always try to (and DID in this case) accurately log, both in the book and online, what I traded. As has been pointed out by others, not everyone is so careful. Unless you periodically restock your cache, you can expect the quality of items to decline. This is especially true with an easy, urban cache. At first this really bugged me, but you just have to deal with it.

I don't think you need to do anything with this cache, it is fine! Try not to worry about the trade items. If you have ideas for a more difficult cache, place another cache, but leave this one alone. I notice that you only have 3 finds so far. Don't get soured on caching too quickly! Please don't take offense, but you might want to go out and find some more caches before hiding more. Seeing more caches will give you a better perspective on things.

I would strongly discourage you from temporarily disabling a cache, just so you can take it in and look at it. You never know when someone could come looking for it, and it would be very frustrating for them if the cache was gone, even for 15 minutes.

Thanks again for the cache!

Boundertom

I'd definately not get so focused on this issue. I fill the cache, put it out, and let folks trade and sign as they wish. Never have looked to see if trades were done properly, if the log was signed or not, etc. I just check periodically for moisture, need for a new log book, and to make sure the cache has enough items and is not too full. Don't sweat the small stuff -- it will make you nuts. Focus instead on whether people seem to be having fun finding your cache, and whether you are having fun geocaching. If you are not having fun, and are spending more time worrying about things like this, perhaps another hobbie is in line?

I'd definately not get so focused on this issue. I fill the cache, put it out, and let folks trade and sign as they wish. Never have looked to see if trades were done properly, if the log was signed or not, etc. I just check periodically for moisture, need for a new log book, and to make sure the cache has enough items and is not too full. Don't sweat the small stuff -- it will make you nuts. Focus instead on whether people seem to be having fun finding your cache, and whether you are having fun geocaching. If you are not having fun, and are spending more time worrying about things like this, perhaps another hobbie is in line?

I gotta agree.....worrying about the little things will make you nutso.....so long as your cache is still actively visited, and people seem to enjoy looking for it, that's all that really matters, right? :D

After over 3 months, my cache is probably better stocked now than when I left it.

same here on my cache... it's a bit better than a half year old, and is a lot beefier than the skinny-minnie it started as.

a couple times i've brought a trade item, but, didn't really want to take anything, so I just left my trade item. so i can see how some might 'gain interest' after time too.

anyways... even if my whole cache was plundered... i'd restock it in a minute. takes only the change between the cussions on your couch and a little creativity -- and that's if you can't find something good to trade that you already have.

...the log book is kinda different, that's like the actual valuable item in there... at least to me, adds the fourth dimension to longitude, lattitude and altitude -- the dimension of time. i'd be heated if that was missing!

Oh, I understand that folks may not post their finds online (or at least right away). In fact, I'd rather read them from the logbook; more personal. My point was that there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of items taken versus items left, and none of those items even being logged. More than just a child or two innocently taking an item.

Due to my unnatural paranoid fear of geo-muggles, I supercharge my time with a cache sometimes. This means signing my name, doing a quick exchange and re-hiding it. My online logs are always much more involved.

I figure that this way people who haven't been to the cache yet can get a fuller experience than if I did the reverse.

The same thing just happened to me; after 2 finds the contents were down to two items I placed in it a hotel soap and a used golf ball. However, another cache that has been hit 38 times is going strong.

I did have to clean out can tabs, receipts and a used Chapstick from a third cache after about 3 months, but other items were adequate.

No two caches are the same, and after replacing your cache it may just get better with time. I was given the advice that if a caches location is discovered by non-geocachers and is plundered more than once it is time to move the cache to a new location.

Good luck &

Happy Caching.

I tend to make a detailed online log of each cache that I hunt, but very seldomly do I ever mention what I traded. I carry a few nice trade items with me, in case I do see something I want to trade for, but for the most part I don't trade at all.

In my experience the quality of a caches contents will spiral downward rather quickly. I spent about $50 on my last hide. We'll see how it stands in a month or so.