Watch Out, Thieves About!

Papakas

A moments carelessness and your car becomes a target! Yes, I got hit on Saturday which brought my latest 24hr caching marathon to an abrupt halt! I don't want to put cachers off this particular cache as this sort of thing can happen almost anywhere but I need to draw your attention to GCD4F7 Eggardon Hill, Dorset and my log entry of March 27. With the caching season begining to wake up for most please let this serve as a reminder about not making your car a target for thieves.

My mistake was to leave a scruffy old bumbag in the passenger footwell. The thieves hit the jackpot, £400 worth of Canon Ixus camera and accessories in it. They could not have known that but to them the bumbag's potential was worth the effort. A knife through the tyre to immobilise the car then smash, grab and quick gettaway as they would have seen the car was alarmed. I was lucky, hidden away out of sight in various compartments inside the car were two mobiles, a PDA, a GPSr (Garmin 3+), and an assortment of other potentially attractive items.

I've learnt my lesson but then I should know better! This was a real wakeup call! I'm cutting right down on what goes in the car now! If it's not essential it stays at home. It can be quite traumatic making the discovery, then there's the time taken to sort it all out. In this case four hours before I was happy that the car could at least by secured as the RAC made good with Perspex. Another 2 hours this morning waiting for a replacement tyre so I could get that cursed space saver wheel off! Another hour or so on Wednesday to have a new window fitted.

Please take heed and don't let them spoil your day!

I have a defence mechanism against people who might like to eye up my car for a break-in.... I leave a pair of old underpants on the passenger seat in full view. That and a pile of old tissues all screwed up in the passenger footwell.

Strangely, no-one tends to find my car an attractive target any more. Having had two cars stolen from me in my life I'm not taking any chances.

I hasten to add that although the underpants *look* as though they are well-worn, in fact they are quite harmless. All the sweat and ..ahem.. is purely cosmetic effect.

In fact I've never even worn them at all.

I leave a pair of old underpants on the passenger seat in full view. That and a pile of old tissues all screwed up in the passenger footwell.

Strangely, no-one tends to find my car an attractive target any more.

You Don't say! ;)

That would most certainly put off any would-be theives. I just hope one day you don't return to your car to find the local constabulary waiting for you with a few pertinent questions. ;)

I have a defence mechanism against people who might like to eye up my car for a break-in.... I leave a pair of old underpants on the passenger seat in full view. That and a pile of old tissues all screwed up in the passenger footwell.

Strangely, no-one tends to find my car an attractive target any more. Having had two cars stolen from me in my life I'm not taking any chances.

I hasten to add that although the underpants *look* as though they are well-worn, in fact they are quite harmless. All the sweat and ..ahem.. is purely cosmetic effect.

lol I may as well take the bait....

Seriously MCL, do you? ;)

MarcB

Oh, boy.....I apologize for constantly breaking in on your regional forum, but for the past couple of days, you folks are quite entertaining!!!! I'll definitely remember that "anti-theft" device for my own use! ;););)

My acquaintances inform me that one can purchase female versions of such undergarments via the Interweb - apparently with "genuine" wear marks. I was too shocked to begin researching this, but after a cold bath and some smelling salts I may venture forth to investigate this curious phenomenon.

Someone just sent me this link, i think your old underpants are being sold as a "BRIEF SAFE"

I don't effing believe it! Absolutely priceless!

Good to see that my idea is not so daft after all. However, my skid marks are not quite so...lets say "blatant". The yellow staining on mine (apple juice, I'll have you know...) does not require it to be accompanied by quite such a voluminous brown effect (wax crayon...)

Oh, boy.....I apologize for constantly breaking in on your regional forum, but for the past couple of days, you folks are quite entertaining!!!!

...so the stained underwear in here isn't turning you away then? :lol::lol:

No, I just don't read this within an hour either side of lunch! I did once have a young lass offer to sell me her panties via internet, but don't think my wife would have seen the humor in that!