Best Bug And Insect Repellants I Have Ever Used!!

Bug and insect season is already here in my area, and around the corner for others in the U.S.A., so I thought I would share this information on the best repellants I have ever used. :o

This link explains what chemicals and extracts from plants are used and there effectiveness.

This link explains How Deet Insect Repellents Work

This link takes you to the on-line store. However, we purchased the “West Nile Virus Protection Pack” at Academy for $9.99 and Oshman’s had it for $14.99.

They have great Sun Blocks too.

Spend some time on their site and you will find a product that will repel the insects that bother you in your area. I hope this information gives you more enjoyable caching this Spring, Summer, and Fall. :P

I've had good luck with the Sawyer controlled release formula. It's a bit pricy though. Their permethrin spray is also great for ticks. Now that tick season has come to much of the northern USA, this is a timely post. We pulled one of the bloodsuckers off my wife today. Been there since our caching trip Saturday we guess.

Edited by briansnat
I've had good luck with the Sawyer controlled release formula. It's a bit pricy though. Their permethrin spray is also great for ticks. Now that tick season has come to much of the northern USA, this is a timely post. We pulled one of the bloodsuckers off my wife today. Been there since our caching trip Saturday we guess.

The ticks are also out in Nebraska. I thought it was early for them here, but I got one March 20th in the central part of the state. Fortunately Lyme is not a big deal here (only one case so far in the state that I know of and the tick likely came from Missouri). West Nile is a huge concern though.

Avon's SkinSoSoft works great and smells better than regular insect repellant

There have been various debates on whether Skin-so-soft really works. I always felt that it helped with "no seeums" when I was in Central America. I have not noticed it help alot with mosquitos. I still tend to use it some though since I figure it can't hurt. But after the amount of West Nile here last year, I wear deet all the time too.

Just wondering if there has been any long term studies on how safe all these chemicals that keep bugs away are?.The way I see it is like this. Would I rather have WNV that I'd more than likely survive or skin cancer and children with four heads ten years from now? Maybe I'm thinking too much. I guess we're all doomed in the end anyway.

Just ordered the MaxiDeet 100%

Be very carefull with the high % DEET...it melts some types of plastic. My MeriPlat has permanent fingerprints melted into the case.

AMEN to this. Deet destroyed my Ironman watch. It made the clear plastic all dull and foggy. It also dulled out the black shiney plastic as well.

So what % of Deet is considered to be "Plastic Melting"?  I Plan on getting a new GPS for the summer and want to do a lot of caching and I know I'll need some quality repelent......

I don't know, but I have seen 10 and 20% also melt plastic.

I also assisted this travel bug that had encountered deet.

Edited by carleenp

There have been various debates on whether Skin-so-soft really works. I always felt that it helped with "no seeums" when I was in Central America. I have not noticed it help alot with mosquitos. I still tend to use it some though since I figure it can't hurt. But after the amount of West Nile here last year, I wear deet all the time too.

Avon actually has actual skin so soft bug repelent out, and it works really well.

And guess what... Those of you who want some, I just happen to sell avon, and accept email orders! ;)

Seriously, if y'all need some, send me a message. Chances are I'll reply the same day.

I really don't put that nasty stuff all over my body.

Sometimes I wonder if the prevention is worse than the problem. I've gotten to the point that I don't use anything until I really can't stand it. I don't like the feel of most of the stuff on the market, and, if I use it at all, it's generally just before bed, and more on my clothing than my skin. The skin-so-soft or muskol is probably the best.

But try this: I have two sons and a wife. Bugs generally don't like my and my younger son's body chemistry, They love the other boy and my wife. When I'm outside, I generally try to keep one of the bug-attracting kin close to me at all times. The bugs flock to them and leave me alone. This will generally work anywhere, if, with a little covert observation, you scope out who seems to be attracting bugs. Honest, I've tried this in some of the worst spots of the Chesapeake's marshes, and it works. Of course, if you're the chemistry-sweet person, it sucks-- doubly so when there's a guy like me hovering around you all the time.

Study after study has found SkinSoSoft to be totally ineffective. This is growing to the point where it's becomming an urban legend.

Amen to that. It's about as effective as tap water. Those citronella bracelets are likewise useless.

Having backpacked through some of the worst mosquito country on earth...thick enough to blind you, I have discovered that there is Deet and then...nothing else.

Oh some stuff MIGHT slightly repel skeeters and such but only Deet will keep them off.

I use it at 100% as well....but don't go by me, I do it for the andrenalin rush. I also smoke the occasional cigar and have been known to chow down greasy burgers as well...I live life on the edge. - JamesJM

P.S. Deet is definitely NOT for children.

Ticks ruin geocaching for me. I go, but with feelings of doom and gloom. Living in "Lyme Valley" in the northeast, I got bit by a Lyme infected tick and was on antibiotics for a month. My dog, even with Frontline, got bit and once had Lyme and another time had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This year I upped his dose as he's at the point to the next size. Hopefully that'll work better.

This year I promised myself to use Permethrin. It's also a great idea to wear light clothes so you can see them better, check often especially before getting back into the car and when home (I step into the bathtub to remove my clothes and have the missus give me a look over. She doesn't seem as excited about that then when we first met!!).

Tuck your pants into your socks; tuck your shirt into your pants. Get a Tick removal kit.

Finally, all kidding aside, Lyme is not something to play with. However, if you think you got it (bulleyes rash sometimes but not always), antibiotic usually take care of it.

Also, remember there's other deseases ticks carry like Ehrlichiosis as well as the aforementioned Lyme, RMSF, etc.

One other thing I do is read the hints so I can hopefully get in and out as fast as possible. Off trail is where they hang out so the quicker you get out of there, the better.

Alan

If you want serious protection, use a DEET repellent on your skin. Spray your face, neck, arms and legs...also spray around your belt area. The fore mentioned Sawyer extended release is good and so is Ultrathon, but any DEET based product will work. Then spray your clothing with a Permethryn based repellent. Duranon and Permanone are popular brands and Sawyer also sells a peremethryn based repellent. Pay particular attention to areas where they like to enter, like the cuffs of your pants. Some people tuck their pants into their socks, but that look is a bit too geeky for me.

The great thing about permethryn is that its an insecticide, so when the ticks jump on, they die. You get a certain smug sense of satisfaction knowing that you are killing these little bloodsuckers just by hiking around. He-he-he-he.

Edited by briansnat