National Forest Service?

Seth!

I don't spend too much time in the forums, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. (Feel free to Markwell a response.)

I was eyeballing the pinned thread above about national wildlife refuges. So what IS the story with National Forests? I just had a geocache yanked by "them". I thought that NFS land was the one Federal place where we could put geocaches.

Did the NFS send us a nasty letter, too? :P

It's San Juan NF in CO. There are other geocaches there, so I don't know what's up. Mine was in a great spot and Mother Nature would not be put out--no animals or plants were harmed in the placing of the geocache. It was on a rock outcrop! ;);)

I think the best thing to do would be to contact the Park Rangers and find out why they have removed that cache (and possibly others).

The USFS has historically been supportive (or at the very least they've ignored) geocaching in NF's. I have several in the Delta National Forest here in MS that have Ranger approval.

From the sounds of it - they may be working out some permit system for their NF. The note on the cache page did mention something about permits. Contact CO_Admin and get the Rangers contact info - then contact them.

southdeltan

;);)

"Protecting" lands of today, so the children of tomorrow can't use them either.

When I asked a ranger before hiding a cache in the Okanogan National Forest he had no problem with it.

Probably just ran into a ranger or administrator that likes to wield their petty powers in petty ways.

The local NF seems to be Ok with geocaching. However their land use policies are under reivew and open for public comment right now. Since we have a local group against any type of motorized travel on public lands (Close unless open Policy) I'll be in touch with them and will probably encourage the adopting of geocaching as an ideal use of their lands. (Logging is a bit more hard on the environment and they do allow that).

I tried about a year ago to find a policy on geocaching. I sent e-mail to several offices in the NFS. I quoted a regulation that had been quoted as justification for saying that it was illegal. In those e-mails I asked for and got a copy of the regulation. However I never got a response to the NFS policy question.

It appears to me that from the regulation quoted and the persons quoting there's a possiblity that there's an abuse of power happening. I neither have the time nor the desire to pursue that avenue.

Just my thoughts and observations.

It appears to me that from the regulation quoted and the persons quoting there's a possiblity that there's an abuse of power happening. I neither have the time nor the desire to pursue that avenue.

B&A - make sure you read this: Federal Policies on Geocaching

There is no rule for ALL National Forest - but some do have individual rules. You should contact your local National Forest for more information.

I was curious as to wether or not Seth had done that.

southdeltan