Placing A Cache In Front Of Your Own House

I live in the country, and from my living room window I can see two or three great spots on public land in which to hide a cache.

Would this be frowned upon ? Especially if it was a high-difficulty micro cache, I can sort of imagine me (and my kids) watching hapless GCers wandering about the field, while we go "warmer... colder... icy..."

Has anyone else done this ?

Sounds fine to me.

I went to a cache once that I knew was near the hider's house. We went in the middle of a torrential rainstorm. We imagined the hider was sitting in his easy chair, sipping his coffee, watching us through the picture window.

(However, later checking showed that he couldn't see the cache from his house.)

There are several cachers here in the Phoenix area who have placed caches in their front yard. Some have made a game of, "see if you can get the cache without us busting you" out of it.

Last week I used some stealth and pulled off "the grab" without being caught on this cache.

Here is my log entry: March 23 by RandMan (439 found)

After finding the nearby REACH FOR THE SKY!!!! and From the Kids....It's All About the Numbers caches earlier this morning, I decided to park near this cache and wait until sunrise to try to sneak in for the grab.

I arrived around 5:30 after filling up my coffee mug at a nearby convenience store. Talk radio was interesting - so the wait wasn't bad. I did manage to get a nap for about fifteen minutes though - and upon waking it was light enough to go for the cache. As I was about to get out of the van, I saw a car back out of the residence where the cache was located and drive past me ... it was around 6:25 A.M. I then walked the 200 ft to the cache and made the find easily. I signed the log at 6:30. After going back to my vehicle - and as I was about to leave, the same car that had just left a few minutes earlier came back and pulled in the driveway. Now, is that "stealth"? ... or what!?

Thanks, "team RED DOG," for the challenge and fun this morning.

We've been to one that was placed in someones front yard on their lawn furniture. Felt a tad strange searching for it since we weren't getting good readings that day and the GPS had us going all over the yard and up on to the front porch..

Of course we did choose to hunt it during the middle of a workday when we were hoping no one was home...

Another one was a devious one at the hiders work place. That one there was NO being sneaky about, the owner drove up as we had just begun our search a told us to let him know if we needed a hint. Having the owner there was an extra bit of pressure but didn't stop us from hunting. (oh, and yes..we ended up taking the hint. although I wish we hadn't..we were SO close!)

Anyway, both caches have been well-recieved so I say go for it! As much as going to the movies cost these days, who couldn't use some free entertainment?? :P

Where this micro cache you have on your property? I'll be over with my bulldozer to look for it! ;)

Seriously, I see no problem with it if you don't. I know someone who has done something like this, only it isn't on his property... it's about .15 miles from his home, but he has a clear unobstucted view of the cache area.

my grandpa lives in a nursing home, there is a nice spot near the sidewalk right out his window for a cache. I am still working out the details with the nursing home staff but I am looking into putting a really tough micro there, telling my grandpa what it is and where it is, that way he can get a nice laught everytime someone looks for it, it would probably be the only interesting thing he would see all day, the biggest issue with this cache is getting the window set up so that my grandpa and the others in his room still have their privacy, but can still see out (we are looking at window screening)

to answer your question, sure there is no problem with it at all, do it, I wish I lived in a place where I could, and if I could I would

I went to a cache once that I knew was near the hider's house.  We went in the middle of a torrential rainstorm.  We imagined the hider was sitting in his easy chair, sipping his coffee, watching us through the picture window.

I think it's a cool idea. It would beat watching TV for the hider.

Even though I'd feel funny thinking that I was being observed, stumbling around, wandering in circles while someone watched.

It'd be REALLY funny if you put it in your NEIGHBOR'S yard and sat back and watched. ;);)

GPSKitty

This is a true story

I had a cache that I could see from my window at work, it is a very hard to find micro, one day a lemo pulls up and a kid around 13 gets out with a GPS and spent around 20 minutes looking in all the wrong places. When he posted a DNF I e-mailed him to let him know I saw him looking in the wrong spot. He asked me to prove I saw him, I e-mail the color of the Lemo and the time. It was him. he said he was required to have the chauffer take him geocahing ;)

I heard of one in my area that has some kind of radio in it that will call the owner, a short distance away, when the cache is opened.  Now that's sneaky!

(I tried to find a link for this cache, but it appears to have been archived.)

That's actually the cache being discussed in this thread.

Here is the cache page.

EDIT: SPELLING

Edited by Bull Moose

Supercalicacheilisticexpialidocious is in our front yard. People seem to really like it. I did warn the neighbors that if they see any people in my front yard not to give them a hard time and I also showed them the cache. I also wrote in the description that there is no need to step off the sidewalk to find the cache.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

Edited by Team Lyons

If it is a fun to seek cache that will provide viewing entertainment for you as well then go for it. ;)

I really liked the post on creating a good cache for grandpa's entertainment too. :D

I have several hidden near work and detour on the way home to see if I can catch any seekers. :D

If you create a lame cache, people will still come to log it but you run the risk of reviving this thread in which a simple question from me to the cache owner was taken out of context. It provided me with some entertainment, but upset some other forum posters. ;) But hey isn't that part of playing in the sandbox? ;)

I've yet to find a front yard cache that I thought "Wow! Cool! Thanks for bringing me to this neat spot!"

Without exception, my thoughts have turned more to "What's so special about this place?"

Unless you've got a cool view from your yard, I'd hide a cache somewhere else.

I've yet to find a front yard cache that I thought "Wow! Cool! Thanks for bringing me to this neat spot!"

Without exception, my thoughts have turned more to "What's so special about this place?"

Unless you've got a cool view from your yard, I'd hide a cache somewhere else.

We did ours to be different. We know a few cachers that have been trying to think of a way to place a cache in their yard but couldn't think of a way to do it . The hunt is unique and so is the container that will hold plenty of stuff. Thats what gets people to say "wow" not the view of my neighbors house. I say if your gonna hide a cache in your yard think outside the box and be creative.

I have a cache hidden in front of my office at a memorial. During work hours I can look out the window and see people looking for it. ;) I don't see them all though. Sometimes I get to busy to look outside. I wish I could go say hi to everyone that comes by though.

If you decide to find this one of mine, I might be watching you! And my office mates know the cache is there so they always tell me if they saw people out there on my days off. ;)

I have one placed here on campus that I can see out the window while sitting at my desk. I actually placed it when living in a different apartment away from the cache. When room selection came up, I had my choice of two sides of the building, and chose the room on the side that faces the cache, of course.

Only one time have I actually seen someone hunting for it. By the time I made it outside, though, they had left, and never logged a DNF ;) so I never figured out who it was.

As a finder, this kind of cache makes me a bit uncomfortable to do. Something about being spied on creeps me out.

However, it is not a bad idea, and clearly some people enjoy them, so why not hide it? You can even bend some rules since you are the property owner and can create a unique hide.

When I get my own land, though, I'm gonna get me some No Trespassing signs and maybe a few Beware of Dog signs too. ;)

/Grrr... KEEP OF MY LAWN YOU MEDDLING YOUNGSTERS! Sic 'em Fido!

I haven't hidden a cache in my line of sight from my home, but I've released several bookcrossing books at the bus stop which is in front of my house. Watching the curious reactions of those finding the books is great... I imagine it would be fun to watch someone find a cache in my yard as well...

Anxiously searching for a brand new cache (I would have been FTF), I arrived at the coordinates exactly at the front door of a house in a crowded subdivision. I couldn't believe it (it was a new cacher; it was his first hide) but I looked around on the front porch anyway and even talked to the neighbor.

The description said something about "what a view." I wondered if the cache might be on the roof. Eventually, I called the hider (at work). He was more surprised than was I. The coordinates he had posted were for his front door, but they were miles from the actual location of the cache.

Must have been a hard lesson for a newbie! B):D

Voyeurism or cool

I'd say cool voyeurism! :D

I have thought about a cache near my house too. There are some nice rocks to climb right where I can see from my balcony where I could sit and watch drinking beer. Maybe I could make it a hard task to get your hands on the container so I could be snapping photos of the desperate hunters too. B)

Apparently This One which was released yesterday is like that. Unfortunately, the hint isn't really detailed enough to know which house is the correct house, it's one of those neighborhoods where everyone has a little, thin yard, so it's difficult for the GPS to get you to the correct one, and the neighborhood doesn't seem to be all that good (as you see from the hider's comment as well as those of the first two no-finders).

I've hunted some "front yard caches" in urban environments as well as very rural environments. Some have been good experiences, some haven't. I'm not sure if I'll be trying for this cache or not.

Bret

OK! I am that people will have diffrent answers. We placed our first cache in front of our house for the following reasons. Look up http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-93fab9532b2e

1) It is close enough that you can do easy up keep.

2) We were fairly new to the game(we lurked around this site for a while) and wasn't sure how to go about things when hiding your own. So it was easy to go get it if it did not get approved.

3) We wanted the chance to meet some of the people of the geocaching community.