Problems With Sportrak Basic?

I'm having problems with my Yellow Sportrak Basic.

Most of the time it does a good job but sometimes it is suddenly:

:P

* a hundred miles or more off

* gives high altitudes (2000 metre)

(in The Netherlands, where the highest hill is 300 meter!)

* gives a speed of 50 km/h

(while we are not moving at all)

During the misreadings the GPSr was receiving several (4 or more) satelites, with strong signals (so poor reception was not a problem).

Usually after an hour or so the GPS becomes normal.

(Other people solved the problems with several resets, clearing memory, etc.)

I reported it to Magellan, they asked me to send it for repair, which I did.

While mine was away for repairs, I borrowed a Sportrak Standard from the Dutch Magellan importer. It had the same problem.

I'm using my own GPS again, the same problem happened again.

I've mentioned this problem in several Sportrak newsgroups. We are also discussing it at the Dutch Geocache site. It seems many other Sportrak Basic owners are having the same problems. Untill now we have no examples of other Sportraks (Map, Pro, etc.) with this problem.

The question is:

Are there other Sportrak Basic owners with the same problem?

Are there people with other types of Sportrak with this problem? (If you don't have a problem, please react as well, it will give us a better idea of what the problem is and if it is only a Sportrak Basic problem.)

Are people with other GPSs (Garmin etc.) experiencing this or similar problems?

If it becomes clear that it is just a Sportrak Basic problem, we can communicate with Magellan and ask them for a solution.

:o

do you tried to turn WAAS (EGNOS) off ?

No, I didn't turn WAAS off.

Some people suggest that the miscalculations are caused by WAAS problems.

But then still the question remains: why is it only with the Sportrak Basic?

And not, as far as we know, with other Sportraks or other GPSr's.

I have the same problems as you describe. I bought my Sportrak Map in Sep 03. Suddenly the postion is 200 km, more or less, away and high up in the sky. After a while the position is correct again. Satellites is ok all time.

Sometimes it happens every 10 minute, sometimes postion is good for a hour.

First I thought this could happen and was normal. Now I understand that this must be wrong.

It would be intresting to follow this thread and see if anyone else have the same problems.

The update information says:

Please note: these firmware updates are for North America only. If you are using your Magellan GPS receiver in other parts of the world these updates will not be necessary.

I have an Europe version so according to this it won't be neccasary. But probably some errors have been corrected since my version.

I will do the upgrade anyway and tell you about my experienses when I see any results.

The update information says:

Please note: these firmware updates are for North America only. If you are using your Magellan GPS receiver in other parts of the world these updates will not be necessary.

I have an Europe version so according to this it won't be neccasary. But probably some errors have been corrected since my version.

I will do the upgrade anyway and tell you about my experienses when I see any results.

Sorry, didn't read that.

Be careful? Maybe the update will do more harm than good?