Dogs

cujo0123

I'm close to nearing my 18th find right now, and all but two of those have been dog assissted. And one the dog came but we found out that dogs were not allowed.

If you think you can control your dog, sure bring them along, and get them a good walk, and a nice ride in the car.

My golden even found a cache before...

Gotta Have Dogs!!!!

We tried taking all three with us...ONCE. The term cluster ---- comes to mind. We now take one at a time and rotate. While out this morning we took big dog, the Newf. This afternoon, we took our miniature schnauzer. Gizmo doesn't get to go as often yet, being so tiny (5 pounds) and hairless, he gets really cold fast. But I anticipate taking him more, as the weather gets warmer. Having a dog is always a good reason to be in an odd area poking around if a muggle happens to walk by. They just assume your dog lost a ball or something.

:P Dog goes with me most of the time. He seems to enjoy the trails etc. Wears him out so it makes for a nice evening too. Jack Russells are great!!! He knows what the "Geocaching backpack" is.

One note though, please keep your dog on a leash and under control so that he/she/they don't disrupt others. And, please don't forget they need water breaks too!!!

HAPPY CACHING from Tix&Chiggers and Traveling Buddy

Edited by Tix&Chiggers
:P Dog goes with me most of the time. He seems to enjoy the trails etc. Wears him out so it makes for a nice evening too. Jack Russells are great!!! He knows what the "Geocaching backpack" is.

One note though, please keep your dog on a leash and under control so that he/she/they don't disrupt others. And, please don't forget they need water breaks too!!!

Oh my gosh -- JRTs do make great geodogs! Peanut is my main caching dog (the greyhounds are a big less adventurous!) and she is a Jack Russel and Rat Terrier mix. She can get low under brush, and even leaps high branches (in a single bound!) She will even run right up to the cache (I think she smells the previous cachers.)

I get her leashed as well, and with all dogs -- be sure to CIPO (Cache In Poop Out!)

Bec

I would let them live out their lives. Just because you are gone doesn't mean they can't still live happy lives. Hope you can hang on a little bit longer.  :P

:P:o

Yah LMAO on that one.

I try to take my puppy along all the time. He knows when I pick up my GPS it's time for his walk. So now the weather is good, I try to go after the ones that provide a good walk or hike.

1933842_400.jpg

I wish I had a dog. I had one 8 years ago...her name was George, she would have loved caching. She died from an adverse reaction to being treated for heart worms.

Now all I have is 5 cats that could care less about caching. Their hobby is pouncing on me in the middle of the night and scaring the heck out of me. :P

If I ever get another dog (please, please honey can I have one?) I'll take it on all cache hunts. :o I'll also name him/her George in honor of my lost friend. I miss you George, you would have loved this.

El Diablo

:P Dog goes with me most of the time.  He seems to enjoy the trails etc.  Wears him out so it makes for a nice evening too.  Jack Russells are great!!!  He knows what the "Geocaching backpack" is. 

One note though, please keep your dog on a leash and under control so that he/she/they don't disrupt others.  And, please don't forget they need water breaks too!!! 

Oh my gosh -- JRTs do make great geodogs! Peanut is my main caching dog (the greyhounds are a big less adventurous!) and she is a Jack Russel and Rat Terrier mix. She can get low under brush, and even leaps high branches (in a single bound!) She will even run right up to the cache (I think she smells the previous cachers.)

I get her leashed as well, and with all dogs -- be sure to CIPO (Cache In Poop Out!)

Bec

Hey... I thought I was just dreaming, but my dog walked right up to a cache one time too. I agree with you that I think he smelled the previous cachers. Though it is cool to think that the dog found the cache. He can follow his scent back out of a hide too. Great dog. :o

Chewie is rarely not along. He gets excited when he sees the GPSr come out.

I find that when you have a dog along people give you a pass for acting strange - they figure I'm dealing with dog poop or toys.

Once, I was out in the pouring rain rooting around in the woods by a nursing home looking for a cache. Someone saw me and called the cops, thinking this was strange.

When I got back to the parking lot a cruiser was sitting there. The cop took a glance at the dog and then asked me if I had seen any "strange people" back there. :P

eb6acc24-0ec9-4869-9897-2cc98f454082.jpg

I would say take a dog whenever you can. Just be realistic about it. Your not going to put a dog in a repelling harness to do a 5-5 cache. Just use common sense when your caching with your 4 legged companion.

ALSO, remember that they can overheat a lot quicker than you can. Take several breaks and bring water along for them as you do for yourself.

ALSO, with the tick season coming upon us, make sure they are up to date on their heatworm check and check them for ticks after a long day of caching

Patch the SuperDog loves to be in the woods, caching or not.

So Criminal, are you keeping Patch after all?

Depends on who you ask. Patti wants to find a home for him although the reason has shifted somewhat. When he has to go out to do his business, he’ll bump whoever is nearby with his nose. The boys all ignore him until he goes on the floor somewhere. This is ruining the (expensive) upgraded carpet in our (new) home. If you tell them to walk him, they’ll piss&moan and take him out for five minutes. We are both working so we can’t really monitor him during the day. It’s not a good situation for us or him. I take him out when I can and he loves a ride in the truck. The dog LOVES Patti, he goes crazy when she gets home. That’s the saddest part, she is the one most attached to him and him to her. He hasn’t displayed the aggressive nature that started the whole mess in a very long time.

The short answer is yes and no, she says yes, but isn’t trying too hard to find a new home for him. I’m keeping my mouth shut hoping for the best.

30d207e5-c327-424b-9b80-4a12259926f3.jpg

Edited by Criminal
Would it be a good or a bad idea to take my dogs with me? Would taking one at a time be better or none at all?

I say drop the dogs and find yourself a couple of hot chicks. Dogs are, well, animals ... you'll have way more fun caching, say, in the nude, if you are with a HUMAN. :D

And even if you're caching with a human, you can always still do it in doggy style!

Ironman114 has taken our 2 dogs a couple of times caching. They love to go in the truck, and just go with us.

But around here during hunting season it can be dangerous for your dog out in the woods. Some hunters will just shoot your dog cause they think they're running off the deer. I've heard of it happening. I'd hate to see something happen to our 2 lovable dogs or anybody elses.