New Store Item

TeamK-9

I was thinking a bit, and I think I might have come up with an excellent idea for the store. I've read about a lot of cachers who have this item in their packs, or at least at home just in case.

So what's my idea?

How about you guys get a bunch of blaze orange hunting vests, (the nice fabric ones, not the crappy mesh/plastic ones) and then have like the geocaching logo embroidered into the front.

These would be a cool item and also very useful for rural cachers like myself...

ok, I'm new to this, but wouldn't the orange stand out too much and give away where the cache was if another geocacher came by....just a thought. It sounds good for rural areas (I live in a very rural area) but for the city I think it would be too obvious and draw attention.

I was thinking a bit, and I think I might have come up with an excellent idea for the store. I've read about a lot of cachers who have this item in their packs, or at least at home just in case.

So what's my idea?

How about you guys get a bunch of blaze orange hunting vests, (the nice fabric ones, not the crappy mesh/plastic ones) and then have like the geocaching logo embroidered into the front.

These would be a cool item and also very useful for rural cachers like myself...

I agree a high-vis vest would be great for the Benchmark hunters also. Those of us who spend a lot of time near roadways.

John

ok, I'm new to this, but wouldn't the orange stand out too much and give away where the cache was if another geocacher came by....just a thought. It sounds good for rural areas (I live in a very rural area) but for the city I think it would be too obvious and draw attention.

Simple enough to fix: I used to have a photographers vest, much like weightman mentioned, that was blaze orange, but was also reversible to a bland tan color for easier concealment.

I was thinking a bit, and I think I might have come up with an excellent idea for the store.  I've read about a lot of cachers who have this item in their packs, or at least at home just in case.

So what's my idea?

I agree a high-vis vest would be great for the Benchmark hunters also. Those of us who spend a lot of time near roadways.

An excellent idea. Between caching and benchmark hunting I have had some close calls even when it isn't officially hunting season. As long as the vest or VOMP were of good quality and tastefully done (can blaze orange be tastefully done?) I would buy one without hesitation.

The only thing I woudl add would be some scotchlite trim so those of us who hunt caches and benchmarks at night or twilight show up then too.

Regards,

The MacMedic

It's a good idea, but there would have to be a significant request for these vests before they would be realistic to order, since we have to do a minimum order for most items and the up front cost can be staggering, especially for unusual items.

It's a good idea, but there would have to be a significant request for these vests before they would be realistic to order, since we have to do a minimum order for most items and the up front cost can be staggering, especially for unusual items.

Actually, I was just thinking that same thing.....so, how would you go about it? Have a poll to see how many interested parties there would be? If you did, I'd suggest the minimum numbers of "yes" votes be at least 30% more than the actual number you'd have to order, as you know as well as I that some that say "yes" would actually never order them once they were available.

What do you think?

I like the Idea as well on the reversible orange/olive(VOMP).

I too would buy a couple.

With the Adopt a Highway it would come in real handy.

As well as benchmarking.

I was thinking of using my CERT Vest but it is GREEN w/reflective tape.

And there is no Emergency.

It has been on my mind lately where to get them.

Sounds like a great idea. I've also been in public areas that are open to hunting and it is no time to be concealing! You definitely want to stand out. I'd buy one just for those few instances where caches were hidden in public hunting areas. I cache with Summitt Dweller on occasion, and he carries a blaze orange stocking cap for those particular cache hunts. I will buy a cap for next season myself. :lol:

Just keep the GC.COM logo discrete.

Like using the 2x2 patch - color for the blaze side, and camoed for the other side.

It would be interesting what color the other side should be, according to everyone here. I have the blue/green GC.com vest, and either of those colors are good for me.

The green side out is nice, when I wear a khaki shirt. I've had some folks scurry off, no doubt think I was an "official". :lol:

The art of camofloge is to distract viewers from noticeing the person or object. This can be accomplished in many ways. A bright orange vest may render a person invisable under the right conditions.

it is very true... the muggles think you are a construction or other type of worker with that sort of color.

Was just pricing a VOMP yesterday, saw this today. I am ALL for it! Especially reverseable. But just dull orange with pockets is cool with me. Now, even better if you can permantly impregnate the cloth with premetherin to help keep ticks away, you will have a money maker.

:bad:

-Jennifer

ps- the VOMPs I was pricing were retailing for 40-60 dollars for good ones. Hope yours doesn't come in over that amount.

My church normally does parking for a large arts festival in the area. Over the years, we accumulated more land to park cars on, and the vests disappeared. Well anyway, a family that goes to our church owns a hunting company and they got us these really nice vests.

They're blaze orange hunting vests, but they can easily be mistaken for a roadway vest or something similar.

And the best, they're cloth, not crappy plastic or anything. More particularly, I think they're nylon...

Looks like I'm going against the grain here, but I don't need a vest with pockets (the pack carries everything). However, I do need blaze orange during hunting season(s) here in New England.

How about a cheap plastic blaze orange vest with the logo printed on it. In quantity you should be able to get them for under $1. Much like an emergency poncho they wouldn't take up much room in a pack or pocket and could be put on when you suddenly realize it's hunting season.

(No extra pockets required on this version.)

Might be a good Idea t have the both a cheap throw away for trashy jobs along the Highways and a nice one with pockets and the LOGO on both sides,don't forget the LOGO on both side.....and did I mention pockets,on the better one.

I'm for the inexpensive, nearly disposable type. I use them for Urban caching. I use the ones provided by the Dept of Transportation for Arizona's Adopt A Highway program. Wear the florescent vest and carry a clipboard and viola - urban invisibility. Add a 4 D cell MagLite for added invisibility.

Edited by CacheUsOut

Just sort of bumping this thread to get it back into Jeremy's eye and to see if any progress or discoveries have been made (Sorry if I'm being a pain)

But I have to agree with SWMG, it would be cool if the story would cary both cheap, plastic highway worker type vests, and nicer fabric ones with pockets and an embroidered logo...

I have one of the yellow/black reversible vests sold in the GC.com shop last year. They discontinued it in the fall. I love it. I'm visible with the yellow side out in hunting season and the rest of the time I wear it black side out. The pockets zip so my PDA is safe while I cache!

Too bad it was discontinued! It's cool.

I was thinking a bit

A dangerous pastime...

I know

and I think I might have come up with an excellent idea for the store.  I've read about a lot of cachers who have this item in their packs, or at least at home just in case.

So what's my idea?

Well, New Mexico does not require hunters to wear blaze orange, but I hunt in Colorado where they do. Count me in for one.

On the idea of a reversable blaze ornge/camo vest:

Hunters have had such a thing for many years, which is useful depending on the season and what you are hunting for. However, a reversable vest with many pockets would be clumsy at best. Now turkey hunters have the right idea on this, since they use speaciatly vests with many pockets for turkey calls and other gear. One thing that those camo vests include is either blaze orange panels that can be snapped or zipped onto the vest, or those panels are stitched into the pockets. When you need them, pull them out. With this idea, a cheap fly fisherman's vest that's either tan or green can be cheaply modified with the addition of a couple of squares of orange stitched into the pockets.

Or, you can do like I do and whip out the orange hat when you wnat to be more visible.