Accuracy Problem Today????

McIrish

We are in Norhtwest PA and if this had been our first day we would have quit. The gps was all over. Distances would vary from two feet to four miles while only taking a few steps. Thankyou for posting this. Now I know that it wasn't just us. Usually our unit is dead on. Just not today...and the weather was so nice too.

I was curious if anyone else is having problems with accuracy today.

We were out today between 10am and 3pm in North Central New York caching and had little to no problem. But, I keep an eye on the NOAA "Today's Space Weather" webpage which indicated: "Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be unsettled to active for the next two days (29-30 March). A decrease to predominantly unsettled is expected by the third day (31 March)."

Check out the site here: http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html

Geomagnetic disturbances would be the most likely explanation for what you reported.

Edited by Timpat

Yes, I had terrible accuracy issues all weekend, but especially today. My GPS would not narow down under 100 feet. Enfanta was also using a Garmin, her readings seemed ok. Salvelinus; lowrance was working fine, i don't know what the deal was. I was standing on the first cache, and it still read to go 130 feet SE. It did the same thing for the next cache as well. Had these problems all weekend, even had new batteries. No leaves grown in yet, no rocks or cliff faces to interfere, the skies were clear, don't know what the deal was.

This makes me feel better. I was scouting out a location for a new cache in a canyon that ranged from 200 to 500 feet across and 60 feet deep. I had accuracies for waypoints from 125 ft at the bottom to 68ft on top of a boulder even with the rim. My track log looks like a really bad connect the dot picture with huge zigzags, as large as .27mi from point to point. I am glad I did not have to follow that trackback to the car.

I had given up on placing the cache in a location with such poor reception. My hopes are renewed and will get back next weekend to check the reception again.

GEO.JOE

Geomagnetic disturbances would be the most likely explanation for what you reported.

I'm from central Arizona. I submitted a cache yesterday for approval. It took me two trips over a two day period and about an hour and-a-half of triangulation before I finally just took an average of all of the bounces that I was getting. My bounces were anywhere from 20 ft up to as much as 80 ft.

I met another cacher last night who was telling me that while looking for a cache a few days ago, he was getting bounce from 30 ft up to a mile and-a-half and everything in between.

I went to a cache one day that was along this one section of the walking trail around here... From two different sections of the trail that I knew the cache was between, it pointed me in six different directions - even after standing for five minutes to calm the gpsr down.

I finally gave up and just went home. I figured I'd go back to it later since I was caching by myself at the time.

I had some problems with the first to caches we tried to find, on the third cache after trying to find a cache after 20 minutes with no luck (THe cache was rated a 1X1) we switched to my other one and it took us right to the cache as it did with the next caches we did. PS number one is going back to warranty work today. It has been actng up for over two weeks.

Oh, I'm feeling MUCH better now! I thought our GPSr's were both busted. Same description: horrible bouncing, from 60 ft to 460 ft, standing still. Since we were caching yesterday at a former army base turned state park (Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park, Indianapolis) we began to hypothesize that there was some kind of jamming field in place that they didn't remove when they bugged out. Hey, any excuse in a static field! Hated to DNF, especially when I saw that someone else found that cache the same day, but much earlier in the day.

At least I know I'm not insane. Well, about this, anyway.