60cs Problems Aquiring Satellites

woggs1

I just bought a 60CS and have been using for the last 4 days and it seems to have a problem acquiring satellites. I also have a Etrex Vista and when I used them side by side the Vista acquires the satellites right away, while my 60CS is very slow to lock on, and sometimes it I get the “poor satellite reception” message even when I have a clear view of the sky. On the Vista there will be 6 satellites with strong signal bars but at the same time on the 60CS it will only have 2 or three locked on with very weak signal bars. The main reason that I purchased the 60CS was to get better and faster reception than my Vista especially in wooded areas, but now I am very disappointed. I did email Garmin about this and I have not received a reply yet so I thought I would ask anyone here if they know what is going on. My questions are, am I doing something wrong or is that just how these units work? Is there some setting or adjustment that I am missing that will make this thing acquire satellites? Aren’t these 60CS Unit supposed to acquire and lock on much faster than the Etrex? I am thinking that I may have a defective unit or there is some magic menu page that I don’t know about that will get this thing working correctly. Any advice would be appreciated.

My 60CS gets good reception - sometimes indoors as well!

Has the unit gone thru the initial satellite find? Mine sat for a few hours trying to get that first lock. I finally ended up selecting my location from a map. After that the unit finds sats quickly when turned on.

Good luck,

Pat

I just bought a 60CS and have been using for the last 4 days and it seems to have a problem acquiring satellites.  I also have a Etrex Vista and when I used them side by side the Vista acquires the satellites right away, while my 60CS is very slow to lock on, and sometimes it I get the “poor satellite reception” message even when I have a clear view of the sky.  On the Vista there will be 6 satellites with strong signal bars but at the same time on the 60CS it will only have 2 or three locked on with very weak signal bars.  The main reason that I purchased the 60CS was to get better and faster reception than my Vista especially in wooded areas, but now I am very disappointed.  I did email Garmin about this and I have not received a reply yet so I thought I would ask anyone here if they know what is going on.  My questions are, am I doing something wrong or is that just how these units work?  Is there some setting or adjustment that I am missing that will make this thing acquire satellites?  Aren’t these 60CS Unit supposed to acquire and lock on much faster than the Etrex?  I am thinking that I may have a defective unit or there is some magic menu page that I don’t know about that will get this thing working correctly.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Try a master reset of the almanac. Then turn it on with a totally clear view of the sky and let it run with out the waas on, it will default to waas disabled anyway. Then when it aquires a fix, go to system setup and turn waas on. Let that run for about an hour. It will build an almanac.

You should be fine after that. As you know if you don't turn it on for a while or have interference near it it should lock on fine. It usually takes a while to lock on good enough to get the accuracy to 9 ft. or less.

Edited by capt caper

No I mean with the unit off, press and hold the Page + Power on.

This will erase the almanac data from your unit. Then re-load. If the Amanac is corupt, it may not be loading with a software reset (like "New Location"). It may need a hard reset sort of speak on the Almanac Data.

Edited by FlashMaster