Geocaching While On The Go

It would be tres nifty if someone could come up with a way to search the website for geocaches along major interstates and freeways. So, say I was traveling from Seattle to LA, I could ask it to show me, North to South, all the geocaches within a mileage range off of I-5.

That way, when addicts.... errr... Cachers are roadtriping from point A to point B, they would have a simple way of figuring out what's along the way.

Eleri

So, say I was traveling from Seattle to LA, I could ask it to show me, North to South, all the geocaches within a mileage range off of I-5.

My question exactly. We traveled I-5 and 101 between Mendocino, CA and Seattle 12 one-way trips in the past 15 months.

You'd have to run a ton of PQ's to get the entire route. I always do it the hard way.

Now we are planning our annual spring break 2000 mile drive to the Mojave desert and it's the same old problem - up late at night running cache pages, downloading waypoints to Roads & Rec map, changing GC's to cache names (because it looks cool as they pop up on the eMap by name), uploading to the Garmin then printing or PDFing the cache pages. Gotta get me a 60CS!

Edited by Team Sagefox
QUOTE (Harrald @ Mar 28 2004, 12:43 PM)

All you need to do is get a few overlapping PQ's and use a third part app to filter them. That's how I check. 

All I heard from that was  blah blah blah blah  because that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Harrald, I think he/she/it said that because it was over his/her/it's head.

For the rest of us who happen to do this very same thing, it makes perfect sense.

1) "All you need to do is get a few overlapping PQ's -"

This means he plots out the route he will be traveling, sets up his Pocket Querries in such a manor that they will overlap along the route, covering enough area North-South and East-West to include geocaches to the desired distance side to side and top to bottom of the route from one end to the next.

2) "and use a third part app to filter them."

And this means he uses something like Watcher to sort them out for a set distance side to side of the route he is traveling.

3) "All I heard from that was blah blah blah blah because that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever."

And this means you could have asked for more information about it instead of the smartass comment.

logscaler.

Edited by logscaler
All I do is click on the "view map" option and I get this:

29083_18000.jpg

then I just zoom out enough to see all the caches along the route I will be taking, and click on "identify caches" to get the cache info....

that is my new way of doing it, i used to pull up a cache and then search for nearest caches, look through the list for one in the right direction and check it out, if it is the wrong one I go back and try again, I would do this forever

that is my new way of doing it, i used to pull up a cache and then search for nearest caches, look through the list for one in the right direction and check it out, if it is the wrong one I go back and try again, I would do this forever

Well, yes. I use gc and Buxley maps but it still takes time to sort out the route. I need to find 30 to 50 promising cache pages for each trip spread over 770 miles.

For our Seattle to Las Vegas to Fort Bragg trip I printed 160 cache pages (visited 75 sites). That is a lot of moving around the maps and waiting for them to regenerate each time you pan, identify the caches, examine for no-finds & difficult hikes or puzzles, then download to easygps.

Well, yes. I use gc and Buxley maps but it still takes time to sort out the route. I need to find 30 to 50 promising cache pages for each trip spread over 770 miles.

For our Seattle to Las Vegas to Fort Bragg trip I printed 160 cache pages (visited 75 sites). That is a lot of moving around the maps and waiting for them to regenerate each time you pan, identify the caches, examine for no-finds & difficult hikes or puzzles, then download to easygps.

yes it does take time and I wish there was a better way, as for Easy GPS, I wish there was a way to download that waypoint into an existing file without deleting the info you already have, it is really annoying to have 1000 .loc files in a folder when they could all be put in one file. the only way to merge them right now is to load each file into your GPS, then upload all of them back from the GPS into a single file, and that can take a lot of time

Try finding out if there is a Geocaching organization in your state or in any of the states you will be traveling through. Many organization websites have "rest stop" cache lists for travelers. You can find this out by searching in that state by bring up the state you are interested in on the Geocaching Main Page or by going through the regional forums.

You can see Florida's rest stop caches here: NEFGA Forums

yes it does take time and I wish there was a better way, as for Easy GPS, I wish there was a way to download that waypoint into an existing file without deleting the info you already have, it is really annoying to have 1000 .loc files in a folder when they could all be put in one file. the only way to merge them right now is to load each file into your GPS, then upload all of them back from the GPS into a single file, and that can take a lot of time

And another small but annoying problem is that, as near as I've found, you can't download waypoints multiple times to one specific Garmin Roads & Rec map. I use the Garmin maps for final culling and renaming of the wp's.

Currently I have to upload all the .loc files individually into the gps and then download the works to the map. If I want more after that I need to add those wp's to the gps and then download to a new map or use multiple maps.

I name all the .loc files as I download wp's. Sea1, Sea2, etc. Once these are in a Roads and Rec map the .loc files can be deleted. The map will save them for future use so the .loc's are no longer needed.

I have a friend who has another solution. He dosen't cache while on the road. They drive from "A" to "B", then go caching at "B". This sound a lot more relaxing than trying to cache on the run.

So maybe you would drive to Salem, spend the afternoon caching.

Drive to San Francisco, ditto

and so on...

OT: Fort Bragg is an awsome place to spend a few days, caching or not. I recomend the resturant under the bridge at the mouth of Noyo Harbor.

I found out last nite that if you load them all into easygps and have say 10 different tabs you can copy from one and paste into another. I will look at it tonite when I get home and give you more info.

Just so everyone knows, it's possible to copy paste waypoints from one EasyGPS/ExpertGPS file to another.

Step 1. Open the first .loc file and select the waypoints you want either Shift + clicking or Ctrl + clickin them like you would files in windows

Step 2. Go to Edit->Copy

Step 3. Go to the other file

Step 4. Go to Edit->Paste

Edited by Batonka