"grabbing" A Tb?

TeamEFX

If I have a travel bug and I wanted you to have it, then I could personally just hand it to you. Digitally, we make note of this by you "grabbing" the TB from me.

However, if I place it in a cache, and then later on you come by and pick it up from that cache, then you would not use the "grab" feature - you would want to "retrieve it" from Such And Such cache.

(There are other possible scenarios, but this is the most common one.)

Edited by MissJenn

If the system says it's in someone else's hands when you log it then it's "grabbed". This occurs frequently when the owner decides to release multiple bugs with the same number. But it also happens with handoff and other events.

The other one to remember is that you can retrieve a bug from a cache OTHER than the one it was placed in. Sometimes bugs move without people logging them online. Such is life.

We had a related problem with a TB this weekend ... we picked up a travel bug on Saturday. Saturday night, we went to log the travel bug and the previous geocacher hadn't logged it as a drop-off, so we had to "grab" it.

Well, the next day, the previous geocacher logged their visit to the cache... turns out that they dropped the bug only a few hours before we picked it up. Unfortunately, we logged it first and "grabbed" it, so now there is no record that the bug was ever in that particular cache!!

I think there are still some improvements that could be made to the bug tracking system... it needs to be able to log entries out of sequence or something. Also, since I cache with my girlfriend, and we both log our finds, it would be nice if travel bugs could be logged with multiple people. Perhaps have a "primary" person be the custodian of the bug, but when found in groups, it would be nice if everyone else in the group could get credit for the bug.

Just some thoughts... and probably not the first time these things have been mentioned :P

Also, since I cache with my girlfriend, and we both log our finds, it would be nice if travel bugs could be logged with multiple people. Perhaps have a "primary" person be the custodian of the bug, but when found in groups, it would be nice if everyone else in the group could get credit for the bug.

If I were in your group, first of all, your group would have to be very patient and deal with me. :P

Second, travel bugs can - in fact - be logged with multiple people. I would suggest that one person officially (digitally) pick up the TB from the cache, then the next person grab it, then the 3rd person grab it from the 2nd, etc, until each of us would now show this TB as one we have "found." This is actually a VERY good way to use the grab feature, IMHO.

We had a related problem with a TB this weekend ... we picked up a travel bug on Saturday. Saturday night, we went to log the travel bug and the previous geocacher hadn't logged it as a drop-off, so we had to "grab" it.

Well, the next day, the previous geocacher logged their visit to the cache... turns out that they dropped the bug only a few hours before we picked it up. Unfortunately, we logged it first and "grabbed" it, so now there is no record that the bug was ever in that particular cache!!

You could have waited a bit or contacted the person who placed it and asked them to complete their log so you could do yours.

Now, if you want to straighten it out, you will have to delete your log and let them do their drop log, then you create a new log for your find.

If you do a quick TB find like that, it just takes a little patience and communication, but usually TBs are picked up the following weekend or later.

To C5B You can still fix the cache log, if you still haven't dropped the tb yet. I've done it a few times and have helped others do the same thing. Electronically, go to the cache and redrop the tb, then go to your "grabbed it" ( prior to other cachers placement) and then delete your the tb first entry. The tb should show up on the cache page at this time. You can now go back and logg it off, after the other cacher dropped it. It will then reflect as being in the cache and should add the proper miles. This is a little time consuming, but it works. Good Luck