Free Hiking Staff

O.K, I'm in a good mood, take advantage. If you want one of my hiking staffs, tell me why you deserve one or someone that you think deserves one, and how it would help you or them.

There will be no voting. I will decide who it goes to, all decisions are final! :rolleyes:

I'll give everyone a week from now to submit.

El Diablo

Why I deserve a Diablo Hiking staff

I’m a nice guy

I have 7 kids

3+ grand kids

I'm poor

I have been a Boy Scout leader for 20 years

22 Eagle scouts

I love to hike

I am nice to animals

I pick up trash when I hike

I work extra hard to promote Geocaching to people I meet

I serve as an officer in my Local geocaching association

I never criticize people on the forums

I trade fairly when I trade in caches.

And I am a Really nice Guy

Why I deserve a Diablo Hiking staff

I’m a nice guy

I have 7 kids

3+ grand kids

I'm poor

I have been a Boy Scout leader for 20 years

22 Eagle scouts

I love to hike

I am nice to animals

I pick up trash when I hike

I work extra hard to promote Geocaching to people I meet

I serve as an officer in my Local geocaching association

I never criticize people on the forums

I trade fairly when I trade in caches.

And I am a Really nice Guy

That's going to be hard to top. :rolleyes:

El Diablo

My Mother, Nevalp. Mom is 70 years old. She discovered caching, well... through me. The most important thing is that she loves it as much, if not more, than me (and you know I love it alot). She is the one who listened to me when I read that newspaper article about caching and babbled about how I just had to have a GPS as a birthday or Christmas present to try out this thing called geocaching. She is the one who bought that GPS and urged me on. She is the one who supports my caching efforts. She is active in the caching community and loves every minute of it along with me. She will likely always have more cache finds than me, more quality experiences than me, and better qualities than me. That is what Moms are for! I can only hope to live up to her experiences and wisdom. Mom taught me from a young age to be an independent outdoors type of person, to respect the enviroment, and to seek out new things. Her teachings were of the type that led me to be a person who would find and love geocaching and then share it with her. Now she gets to travel with my father, who also caches under her account, and share this wonderful RASH with me. Mom uses a hiking staff when hiking to help her out and I know that she would cherish one of yours. Sure, she has a nice staff that she found somewhere, but if she had an El-Diablo staff, she would cherish it so much. Especially if she knew that what I wrote led to it. I would love to think that in some small way I could give back to my Mom the things that she gave to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by carleenp

:lol: Gee those above posts sure beat my "Cause if I don't get one I'll hold my breath until I turn blue!!!" reply. How about "Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee..." or for good measure I'll try "Can I have one? How 'bout now? Can I have one now? Can I have one? Now? How 'bout now? Can I have one? Can I have one? Can I have one?" *sigh* I guess I'll give up now. :rolleyes:

Congrats to the winner....

Donna G

I don't want to request one on the pity factor, but it truly would be a blessing to me with my bad back. I've been looking in the local sporting goods stores for a walking staff, but they just don't carry them here in Kansas. And to order one online would cost way too much, and I'm saving my money for a membership to gc.com, so that I can give back a little to the site that's given me so much.....there are so many others that are so much more deserving than I am, but I would be so humbled to get one. That said, I would vote for Carleenp's mom to get it.

Why I need a Hiking staff.

1. I love to Hike, though I don't get to do it as much as I would like.

2. I spend most hikes and walking trips carrying my son on my back, he's only 3 and cant hike that far yet, so the staff would really assist in keeping my balance.

3. Since I have started GeoCaching we have found another avenue to spend quality time together as a family.

4. Since GeoCaching my wife now sees a purpose for the GPS other than getting me out of the woods at night from a hunting trip.

5. I'm a great guy...my wife tells me so

6. My knee has never been the same since my second knee surgery. I never believed people could tell the weather but let's just say "I'm a believer now".

7. I have never met a stranger and always give folks the benifit of doubt.

8. I have made a new friend in you...(as I wipe my nose off) :rolleyes:

Why I want a hiking stick from Diablo, by Becky

My birthday is March 31, and I will be 35 years old. I would love to buy myself a hiking stick for my birthday present to myself, but I don't have any extra money. I don't have any extra money because every cent I own goes to the animals in my home. I have a greyhound who is nearly 13 year old and just had to have dental work done to the tune of $160. A fellow Wisconsin cacher alerted me to a friend who was forced to give up his greyhound, who is now living with me until he finds a forever home, and he is getting a dental on my birthday (probably another $100). I have a 20 year old kitty who has been in kidney failure (but doing well) for 3 years now and requires special medication and food to the tune of $40 each month above regular pet expenses. I have another kitty that just this past Sunday began acting odd and after almost $300 in testing, has vestibular syndrome (not common in cats) requiring more medication and an adjustment to her thyroid medication (which will increase her monthly expenses as well.) I also have another dog and cat, who do not have health problems but still require the usual and customary care, and a little spoiling now and then.

I have nearly no human food in my house -- all other monies go to support my caching habit, and to pay the bills.

I am using an old stick I found on the ground while caching as my hiking stick. It is servicable, but not pretty at all.

Recently I had a dream about caching -- in my dream I was walking with a beautiful El Diablo hiking stick. The stick improved the accuracy on my GPS, and was the envy of all my fellow cachers.

I hope you will consider me for a free hiking staff. If not, I will have to have a bake sale to raise the funds.

(sadly, this is pretty much true!)

Bec

Dearest Mr El Diablo

Why do I deserve a hiking staff? Let me count the reasons...

1. I am really nice. I can provide references

2. I love animals and nature

3. I just had reconstructive foot surgery this past Monday. I can provide a Dr's note.

A beautiful handmade hiking staff would help boost my spirits and speed my healing. And it would enable me to hit the caching trail sooner and end these awful cache-withdrawal symptoms I've been having.

4. Wouldn't you love to use your artistic talents to paint a feline on a personalized hiking staff for me?

5. I've never had a hiking staff before. Shouldn't I start with the very best?

Let's see....what else?

Ah, heck. Give it to Carleen's mom.

GPSKitty

I can think of no good reasons why you should give me one, so I guess Ill just have to resort to begging.

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

Edited by WH
I can think of no good reasons why you should give me one, so I guess Ill just have to resort to begging.

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

Dang open tags....blew that begging trick right out of the water, huh? :lol::rolleyes::lol:

Does my edited begging rant help?

Edited by WH

ROFL :lol::rolleyes:

That's pathetic. And to think this is going to go on for a week.

I'm afraid to keep looking and yet I won't be able to look away.

GPSKitty

PS: Dearest Mr El Diablo, I really am recovering from reconstructive foot surgery. I hope you and the family are doing well. :lol:

El Diablo...

I have seen Marky's staff and it is a thing of beauty. Ever since then I have wanted to own one but I can't afford it.

I'm a single mom and I cache with my two sons (8 and 6). Today we got to #300 (hey, it only took 2 years but what can you expect when you cache with kids!). I think a walking stick would definitely help me keep up with them on the trail and I would be eternally grateful as well.

xo,

Read my lips "NO NEW CACHES" Wait, thats a bad thing. Nevermind, I don't deserve the staff and funny just won't cut the mustard. After lossing my job cause the plant closed down I started drinking. Wife took the kids and moved in with my old boss, the one who fired me. Bank repo'd my truck this morning, looks like I'll be walking to those caches. Seems like everything I value has gone from my life, except my old k9 friend, Gunner. Man's best friend, <sigh> Gunner, here boy. Gunner? GUNNER? <sobbing>.........

:rolleyes: I think I should win one:

I broke my last one digging shallow graves in my basement.

My replacement for it doesn't go well with my clown costume.

The handle isn't padded and leaves marks.

The bottle opener on my first stick is nearly worn out!

And mostly, because I hardly ever miss an appointment with my parole officer.

Later,

B.

Read my lips "NO NEW CACHES" Wait, thats a bad thing. Nevermind, I don't deserve the staff and funny just won't cut the mustard. After lossing my job cause the plant closed down I started drinking. Wife took the kids and moved in with my old boss, the one who fired me. Bank repo'd my truck this morning, looks like I'll be walking to those caches. Seems like everything I value has gone from my life, except my old k9 friend, Gunner. Man's best friend, <sigh> Gunner, here boy. Gunner? GUNNER? <sobbing>.........

Ahhh, country music...

I'm Not gonna give you a sob story. Just the truth. I would like one of your STAFFS because I already have a high quality hickory walking staff that I get tons of comments on. However, if I were to have one that you made I would send those who are interested in getting a STAFF in your direction insted of to the person selling them on ebay.

Edited so I have a chance to win :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Lyons

I just wanted to share an interesting story about one of El Diablo's custom jobs. It created quite a stir here in Texas a couple weeks ago. I hope I have most of the details right.

Our longtime Texas Approver, 9Key, recently won a contest by being voted Favorite Approver in the nation. The prize was a very nice custom staff from El Diablo.

At the Recent Texas Challenge 2004 event, many of the participants donated items for a silent auction to help cover the organizer's expenses. 9Key donated his shiny new hiking staff. I think bidding reached $30 pretty quickly, until Geek-Qualizer put in an astonishing bid: $150!!! He won, of course, and created quite a bit of buzz in the process.

I was teamed up with Geek-Qualizer for the actual competition, so I got the chance to ask him about it. He said he'd been looking to make a donation to the TXGA, and this just looked like a good opportunity to do so.

His plans for the staff? FTF prize on a new cache he's planning. If the lucky finder keeps up the tradition, no telling how many cachers can enjoy this single staff!

Idahoflyer,

For starting Idahogeoachers

For funding cache events and prizes

For keeping it up when others would of burned out,

For refusing to take a dime for his troubles and costs.

Because you will have to club him with the staff to get him to take it.

Because once he does he will prize it for what it is. A gift from the geocaching community.

Because he would say that the nomination was enough. And mean it.